Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Frozen Four sites

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Tampa, Nashville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles.... etc. I understand these cities have to make bids, etc, but either way, as a fan I'm not thrilled with the list.
    So your list contains all places far away from college hockey programs, fair enough

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
      So your list contains all places far away from college hockey programs, fair enough
      No, his list contains places with hockey arenas in areas/cities of interest. Tampa has hosted twice and both were extremely well attended and received. Nashville would be great. New, stuff to do on the off day, etc. New-ish arena. Growing interest in hockey. I think it would be the next logical place to host. LA would be tough as I don't think the NCAA could ever get the Staples Center for the allotted time and you don't want to go to the Forum. Same issues as Chicago (too far removed). Vegas could be interesting. So would Portland, OR.

Comment

Detroit makes complete sense with the new arena. Beyond that, I'm disappointed that they haven't chose to go to new places. Buffalo and Pittsburgh just don't jump out at me personally as college hockey and Pittsburgh doesn't have the stuff that Boston does to deserve to be involved in some kind of rotation. It seems like its possible that they are setting up some kind of 7-year rotation now since St Paul (2018), Pittsburgh (2020), and Boston (2022) will have all been 7 years since hosting. If you assume Tampa gets 2023, that would also be 7 years. Personally, I just don't see how Pittsburgh deserves to be in that rotation. I also think that Denver and Washington DC should have gotten better looks this round, along with Glendale and Portland.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          2018 St. Paul
          2019 Detroit
          2020 Buffalo
          2021 Boston
          Source??

Members of the NCAA Ice Hockey committee stated on Friday (to some of us long timte FF ticket holders) that no such announcements of the future site decisions have been made, but should be some time relatively soon. You posted this about 4 hours after we heard from them. I don't think they meant that soon
          The NCAA website still says:
          Future Dates & Sites

Be sure to plan ahead and join us for the next Men's Frozen Four. More information about the future dates and sites of the Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship will be added April 18, so please check back for more information.

Saint Paul, Minn. | Xcel Energy Center | April 5-7, 2018

Note: Regardless, I hope you're right. Those three new ones are all easy driving distance for me.
          Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 04-10-2017, 11:32 AM.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            Source??

Members of the NCAA Ice Hockey committee stated on Friday (to some of us long timte FF ticket holders) that no such announcements of the future site decisions have been made, but should be some time relatively soon. You posted this about 4 hours after we heard from them. I don't think they meant that soon
            The NCAA website still says:
            Future Dates & Sites

Be sure to plan ahead and join us for the next Men's Frozen Four. More information about the future dates and sites of the Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship will be added April 18, so please check back for more information.

Saint Paul, Minn. | Xcel Energy Center | April 5-7, 2018

Note: Regardless, I hope you're right. Those three new ones are all easy driving distance for me.
            Yes nothing is official yet and won't be until the 18th? I believe, but there have been multiple sources reporting on that list you quoted including the Boston Globe.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              It seems like its possible that they are setting up some kind of 7-year rotation now since St Paul (2018), Pittsburgh (2020), and Boston (2022) will have all been 7 years since hosting. If you assume Tampa gets 2023, that would also be 7 years.
              Actually, the future dates as reported in this thread make the intervals: St. Paul 7 yrs, Pittsburgh 9 years, Boston 6 years, Detroit 9 years, Buffalo 17 years. Hardly a rotation (not that Buffalo would be part of any sort of rotation anyhow).
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Tampa, Nashville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles.... etc. I understand these cities have to make bids, etc, but either way, as a fan I'm not thrilled with the list.
                Would have loved to see Nashville make it. Agree with Scarlet that LA would have similar problems to Chicago, plus 2 NBA teams and one NHL team to schedule around. Even Kansas City would have been better than some of the repeats.

I do like Buffalo as a site, and my issues with Detroit were strictly due to the football field. Pittsburgh was OK, but not somewhere I want to repeat so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                  What cities are missing that would change your feelings away from awful?
                  Nashville and Denver are the two that I'm most surprised not to see. Buffalo is the one I'm least excited to see, Pittsburgh to a lesser degree. DC would be another good option over those two. A cycle including St. Paul and Boston interspersed with some group of four or five of the other big college/NHL cities such as Denver, Detroit, and Chicago along with destination/vacation cities like Nashville, DC, Tampa, and down the road Las Vegas or LA would be a nice way to go.
                  Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Yes nothing is official yet and won't be until the 18th? I believe, but there have been multiple sources reporting on that list you quoted including the Boston Globe.
                    Correct...it was reported several times over Twitter during the FF.

Also, regardless of accuracy, thumbs down to the NCAA for allowing this to get leaked prior to making the announcement.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Just about everyone I talked to at the FF was upset about these sites. 5 straight cold weather cities, all in the same general area with the exception of Boston. It definitely shows the influence of the B1G on the changing scope of college hockey. I want to go to Minnesota but honestly, even the friends I found from UMTC couldn't tell me what there is to do in the Twin Cities other than the hockey tournament. I'm thinking about skipping the men's tourney next year and going to see the women's in Ritter instead. At least my team will have a chance to make it there.
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

I am not thrilled with this list either, other than Boston. I have missed only 4 FF since 1989 and two were Detroit (on purpose), Milwaukee (also on purpose) and Pittsburgh (work conflict). I am disappointed that Tampa is not in the mix since both of their events were outstanding. Also disappointed that it hasn't returned to Denver or D.C.. As I look at this list I can't imagine going to Detroit or Buffalo.

Regardless, the cities are only part of the mix since there needs to be a host school to get the ball rolling. Tampa didn't put in a bid and then contact Wisconsin to be the host, it works the other way around. It's a lot of work for the school since they need to do the detailed items to make the show work. No school interest means no bid for a city.

As for the cold-weather city comment, it has only been in warm cities 3 times - Tampa X2 and Anaheim. And it was cold and miserable in Anaheim. The only other "warm" cities I would consider were Columbus and St. Louis - both of which I would go back to.

Comment

If it ever goes back to Columbus, then Ohio St. can't dictate that the games be played on campus. They need to be downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                            Just about everyone I talked to at the FF was upset about these sites. 5 straight cold weather cities, all in the same general area with the exception of Boston. It definitely shows the influence of the B1G on the changing scope of college hockey. I want to go to Minnesota but honestly, even the friends I found from UMTC couldn't tell me what there is to do in the Twin Cities other than the hockey tournament. I'm thinking about skipping the men's tourney next year and going to see the women's in Ritter instead. At least my team will have a chance to make it there.
                            This is not something to blame on the B1G (while there are other things where blame is earned). I am guessing either UM or MSU are the hosts for Detroit. Last time in Pittsburgh it was Robert Morris that hosted and Buffalo was a combo of Niagara and Canisius. So unless Penn State is the host for Pittsburgh, there is only 1 B1G team that is a host (The Minnesota bid was awarded prior to B1G hockey).

As for your UMTC friends, I am guessing they are either new to the state, or don't have imagination. Plenty to do in the Twin Cities, you just have to ask the right people!

Comment

How about NYC?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                How about NYC?
                                That would require MSG to care about college hockey in April...not likely

Comment

Working...
                                X