Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
    I know it’s really early and a lot is dependent on who stays and who leaves but what are everyone's thoughts for next season? I was looking at the list of recruits and I wonder if Quinn and co. over recruited? He may have been preparing for the worst case scenario in terms of early departures but assuming more stay than expected, will some recruits be asked to de-commit? Or some current players leave?

Here are my subjective evaluations of potential scenarios

Worst Case - 6 F and 4 D
    Forwards
    Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway - JFK - Bellows (for MJ possibly)
    Defense:
    Somerby - McAvoy - Hickey - Fabbro

Likely Case – 5 F and 3 D
    Forwards
    Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway - JFK
    Defense
    Somerby - McAvoy - Hickey

Best Case – 4 F and 2 D
    Forwards
    Kelley - Roberto - Keller - Greenway
    Defense
    Somerby – McAvoy

Recruits – 5 F and 3 D
    Forwards
    Bowers- Crone – Cockerill – Tkachuk – Amonte
    Defense
    Farrance – Kotkansalo – Crotty

I personally think there’s a good chance that the Best Case comes to fruition with JFK and Hickey staying one more year. As long as we avoid the Worst Case, I think we’re looking at a pretty solid team (on paper anyway) for next year. Maybe not as much high end talent but the depth looks real good.
    Hickey is going nowhere..Flames are not happy with him ..great compete level and a terrific penalty killer but you can't miss 75% of your passes and play in the NHL...McAvoy is 50/50 because he won't be playing for the Bruins so if he wants some cash and to play in Providence he will go..if not he will stay...JFK will be back..terrific student
    and would rather get his education than play in the minors..Greenway gone and hopefully Bellows

Depending on the losses they will just de commit or defer players...Crotty and Katkansalo could use another year in juniors anyway..should be some scoring depth with the incoming forwards to offset the loss of Keller...as long as Oettinger is in net this will be a good team

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

These top flight NHL prospects being so prevalent in college is such a new thing that I think a lot of coaches aren't entirely sure how to handle roster construction in recruiting and in play, how to handle the agents and advisors hanging over the kids' heads, and everything else that surrounds the hoopla. This group likely will be a learning experience for a lot of programs who recruit these kids who now want to play college. It's a double-edged sword for coaches, when the Eichels and Kellers of the world WANT to come play for you, you can't just say no. But at the same time you know you'll lose them after a year. To a lesser extent, the same argument applies to the likes of McAvoy, Bellows, Fabbro, etc. MJ is no longer the obvious destination for the best young players - and that's a great thing! - but coaches and programs are going to have to figure out how to manage the baggage that comes along with having first rounders on your team each year.

In terms of next year I'm as interested in the progression of the likes of Curry, Chabot, Cloonan and some of the other 3rd and 4th line guys. We're going to need increased contributions from that part of the roster which we haven't got the last few years and it hurt us in spots. It's become very clear that to win at this level you need the high-end players at the top, but you need that depth on the third and fourth lines who can contribute offensively and not be liabilities on the ice in a tournament situation. We didn't have enough of that beyond the top two lines in 2015, we didn't get the progression that was expected last year from guys like Greer and Robbie and it hurt. I'm confident the coaching staff can see that and start to better construct the roster - you need a lot of different types of pieces to win now, a mix of experience and high-end talent. We're also extremely fortunate to have a spectacular goaltender behind it all who hopefully will follow the Demko plan and give us three solid years.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
        Hickey is going nowhere..Flames are not happy with him ..great compete level and a terrific penalty killer but you can't miss 75% of your passes and play in the NHL...McAvoy is 50/50 because he won't be playing for the Bruins so if he wants some cash and to play in Providence he will go..if not he will stay...JFK will be back..terrific student
        and would rather get his education than play in the minors..Greenway gone and hopefully Bellows
        We have our significant differences in opinion on things, but it's clear you have some level of connection to the sport so I'll ask, are these your educated guesses or is this based on information you've heard?
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          We have our significant differences in opinion on things, but it's clear you have some level of connection to the sport so I'll ask, are these your educated guesses or is this based on information you've heard?
          A little bit of both..I could tell you some other things that would surprise you but on this forum you just get called names and accused of being someone's parent

Comment

Posted to another hockey page, which one of you BU(I'd guess BC fan but) fans made this?
            https://greatestcollegehockeyteamofalltime.com/
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Posted to another hockey page, which one of you BU(I'd guess BC fan but) fans made this?
              Didn't live up to expectations but were a much better team than BC

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                This is actually pretty awesome. Hope everyone that sees this (including the players) can have a chuckle and maybe turn it into a bit of extra motivation for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Was made by a BC guy. A good guy too, so made in jest.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post

Depending on the losses they will just de commit or defer players...Crotty and Katkansalo could use another year in juniors anyway..should be some scoring depth with the incoming forwards to offset the loss of Keller...as long as Oettinger is in net this will be a good team
                    Based on no evidence whatsover but I also feel like McAvoy leaving isn't an entirely foregone conclusion. Getting JFK back would be huge - next year could really be a breakout year for him as he should be far and away our top F.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Was made by a BC guy. A good guy too, so made in jest.
                      I figured, some one posted it on Maine facebook page, thought it was a pretty good job at trolling
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        SB Nation now reporting Keller has signed with the Coyotes. Good luck, Clayton. Let's remember that beyond his on-ice contributions, he helped Quinn convince Oettinger and Krys to commit to BU.
                        http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017...ie-of-the-year
                        I doubt krys needed much convincing

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          This is what I worry about as well. I read the quote from the Duluth players saying "This is why we came back" (after losing two straight regional finals - to BU and BC no less). Are those days gone? Yes, I'm proud of what the team did, but are we ever going to get to that point where there is enough continuity to develop a true team chemistry and leadership to get us past the regionals? Although the "philosophy" of recruiting so many "high end" players will "always" keep us "competitive," we need MORE than that to go all the way. Remember, take away the '09 team (which embodied exactly what I have been talking about - a perfect combination of older leadership and high-end talent), BU has won the whole thing ONCE in the last 22 years.

And I'm not BLAMING anyone. Unfortunately, I think this is the way it is today. There doesn't seem to be any value in a group of people working together to achieve something anymore...just the "I want to get mine" immediate gratification mentality. You can't tell me that guys like Boeser from North Dakota, for example, don't have their pro careers ALWAYS in their minds. I mean, the guy scored a goal in the NHL less than 24 hours after the loss to BU. How can one focus on the task at hand when he is always thinking about tomorrow? Nobody seems to live in the present anymore and the attention spans are miniscule. And I think this explains in part the inconsistent play. BU was able to focus for a couple of big games this weekend, but for the most part all season, they were "MIA" for long stretches in almost every game. In the majority of instances they were able to overcome this with their talent, but that only works for so long. Everyone wants to "rush" through their life and do everything immediately. I believe that the constant exposure to everything that is going on instantaneously, via technology, has distorted people's sense of reality. As I said yesterday, "What's the rush?" The contract will be there tomorrow. And if the argument is "What if I suffer a career-ending injury or something and didn't take the money when I had the chance?" my response is "So???? Does your life end? That's one of the reasons you are going to college, isn't it? To prepare yourself for LIFE."

Maybe it's the lack of good parenting. Of course, team representatives, agents, etc are going to expound upon the "advantages" of leaving school early, but that's because it benefits THEM. Who is looking out for the athlete? Sorry to say, that's the parents' responsibility, but they get seduced and enticed also.

I just hope we don't see season after season of "near misses" because nobody stays around to develop a TEAM long enough.
                          Lot of good observations here Look at the teams that have won the national championship in this decade. BC had a good mix of talented players and players who stayed in 2010 and 2012. Duluth, Yale, Union and Providence were all loaded with juniors and seniors. Look at North Dakota last season with upperclassmen like Caggiula, Chyzk, Stecher, LaDue. Most of the juniors left, as did sophomore Nick Schmaltz, and that's the difference between a national championship and a first round exit.

I posted on Twitter about speculated BU departures, mostly sophomores. I dont follow the East too much, but my feeling is if you aren't averaging a least a point a game in college playing teams like Sacred Heart and Massachusetts, you have no business looking to jump to the NHL.

The other thing is, unless you are a player like Jack Eichel, what is the point of jumping to the pros if you are going to spend a lot of time riding buses in the AHL or ECHL? Look at Kyle Turris. He played one year at Wisconsin, jumped, and ended up spending years in the minors. Kyle Connor has been playing in the AHL this year. Most of the players who leave early never go anywhere. For every Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie, Tyler Bozek, there are mostly players who end up in the minors. Look at this list from last year; how many are playing on NHL rosters? There's Jake Guentzel. Fasching and Nelson have bounced around most of this season, even if they are currently with Buffalo. LaDue has made it with LA the last couple of months. Denver's Moore and Heinen are both in the AHL right now; I shudder to think how good Denver would be if those two had stayed. Guentzel and Schmaltz are the only two on that list I see who have played regularly in the NHL this season.

http://www.uscho.com/pro-signings-2016/
                          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I doubt krys needed much convincing
                            Well he certainly took a lot more time than most BU fans were expecting...
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I think we need to keep in mind that landing a forward with such high talent as Eichel and Keller has been rare (in terms of NHL draft# and expectations). Defense and goalies are generally going to need more time than forwards to adapt. So the only legit one and done threat in my mind are forwards (Dipietro being a rare exception, and would not have left after one year if the draft rules had changed earlier). These two guys, along with Colin Wilson, are the best forwards (again, in terms of NHL draft/potential) that BU has recruited in a long time, perhaps ever. All the guys coming in next year are likely to be here at least two years, probably more. Even Bowers is slipping to a late first rounder in the most recent mock drafts, and it sounds like his game is an "all-around" game, he's not projected to be an offensive dynamo. I know Jake Wise at one point was projected as a top 5 Pick, but I think he has slipped.

I guess my main point is that getting all those first rounders was nice, but there really aren't any legit NHLers (for next season) among the other freshmen, the rest of the flight risks are Sophomores and Juniors. That puts them in the same camp as Shattenkirk, Cohen, Bonino, Amonte, McEachern, Grier, etc. So maybe things haven't changed as much as we are making this out to be.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                                I posted on Twitter about speculated BU departures, mostly sophomores. I dont follow the East too much, but my feeling is if you aren't averaging a least a point a game in college playing teams like Sacred Heart and Massachusetts, you have no business looking to jump to the NHL.
                                this is nuts. a guy like connor sheary never averaged a point/game playing FOR massachusetts and he is doing quite well, no?

hockey is more than scoring. even scoring 3 goals in 4 periods.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X