Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Women's Worlds

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
    I am also sure that some players on team Canada and USA also light up on the occasion.
    I posted the article mainly because I found the mentoring program to be a step in the right direction. I hope they continue to follow through with it and help make the programs in some of these other countries more competitive.

I included the quote on smoking because it caught me totally off guard. To me it merely demonstrates that not all of the players in some of these other countries are have a strong work ethic, because if you are serious about improving your performance as a world-class athlete you obviously don't smoke cigarettes. And if their coaches are aware of it but look the other way, then they can't be very serious about making their team better either. Even it involves just a few players, it speaks volumes about the level of their commitment. As the saying goes, "you can't help those who don't want to help themselves".

And while I can't speak for Team Canada, I personally doubt very much that any of the U.S. players smoke cigarettes, even on occasion. I'll just leave it at that.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      ...if you are serious about improving your performance as a world-class athlete you obviously don't smoke cigarettes.
      Does the same go for having the occasional drink? Having a cigarette once in a blue moon isn't going to kill anyone. And if you think hockey players don't have a beer now and then, I'm sure everyone has stories they could tell.

Comment

Well, I won't be in Burlington this afternoon but one of life's fortuitous little coincidences has led me to Vancouver for a few days. I can't be at the game but I can be in front of TSN2, actual live TV.

The hotel has only TSN on the cable but the concierge pointed me towards a quite nearby sports bar. I went by the place to make sure the game will be on.

I asked the proprietor if he was going to have the women's world hockey championship on TV today.

"Hockey?" he replied. "Absolutely!"
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
          Having a cigarette once in a blue moon isn't going to kill anyone.
          Having an occasional cigarette doesn't kill people, but the thought that they will be able to limit their smoking to an occasional cigarette has killed a lot of people. I know many people that have smoked, quit for a long time, and then started again, one cigarette at a time. They didn't intend to go back to smoking a pack or more a day, it just happens over time.

For as hard as these athletes work to reach the world-class level, one thing that they can do to improve as athletes is relatively easy. Don't smoke -- period.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            For as hard as these athletes work to reach the world-class level, one thing that they can do to improve as athletes is relatively easy. Don't smoke -- period.
            And don't drink -- period. But they do, and we all know it.

Comment

Right. I mean, who doesn't know it's a good decision to smoke on occasion...

Who was talking about an occasional beer?
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                And then years from now we'll be lamenting how the U.S. is no longer so dominant. Gee in 02-03, Harvard beat Cornell 8-0 (shots 47-9), BC 17-2 (shots 58-12), BU club team 7-0 without really trying. What's the point? Why didn't these teams just cut their programs? Oh look, they all made the Frozen Four eight years later. The international game won't evolve as quickly, but it will.
                Ok Dave. I like you and you seem to be good at math. So tell me, what are the winning #s for the jackpot?

Let us look at the numbers, because they never lie (Well unless you are a liberal!). Your point above is the US & Canada produced some college teams to play each other. And in the beginning the scores were one sided. Look at the pool they had to choose from, many many players. Look at the carrot, EDUCATION. How many players in each country? #1 & 2 in female players, by a lot.

"Slovakia is relegated to the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey Womens Championship Div. IA", how many female players does Slovakia have? 315! How are they going to do it? I am happy to help. What is the action plan? Money is not it.

Comment

Watching the USA Hockey Blog. Some of the comments are; 1. glad it is a game, meaning 1-1. 2. Not many people will even pay $4.99 to watch the game.

Comment

Excellent job by Rod Black and Cheryl Pounder of calling the game on TSN2.

Comment

from use hockey
                      blog #3- lots of turnovers from Team USA.

Comment

USA down 3-2 but really starting to take it to the Canadians, who are losing their composure with a number of frustration penalties.

Canada's gotten the bounces so far, but USA is due.

Comment

2nd ends knotted at 3 apiece.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Headed to OT. Please, no smoking before OT.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Headed to OT. Please, no smoking before OT.
                              If we win, I'm having a beer to celebrate (a Canadian beer, no less.)
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                If we win, I'm having a beer to celebrate (a Canadian beer, no less.)
                                USA loses in OT, so you might want to have two (or three) beers.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X