Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
    The bottom line is we just don't know if it is a lack of talent on the team or a lack of coaching that is needed to get players to the next level .
    We do need more team speed, both at forward and on defense, but especially on defense. We also need more guys that can finish on offense, and more guys with better hands and stick skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      We do need more team speed, both at forward and on defense, but especially on defense. We also need more guys that can finish on offense, and more guys with better hands and stick skills.
      i'm not a coach but I doubt any coach can teach those attributes so maybe it's not a coaching problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        i'm not a coach but I doubt any coach can teach those attributes so maybe it's not a coaching problem?
        I think he meant a coach bring them kind of players in. The skill level of the team dropped off drastically with the early departures and transfer this season. Some other players did not bring their scoring touch from juniors that didn't help alleviate some of early loss as well.
        Last edited by PerkyforPrez; 03-06-2018, 11:57 PM.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
          I think he meant a coach bring them kind of players in. The skill level of the team dropped off drastically with the early departures and transfer this season. Some other players did not bring their scoring touch from juniors that didn't help alleviate some of early loss as well.
          Yep, we need more of those skills/abilities. Damon still has to prove himself as a head coach, but I think we fall short of the top teams in our league in those player skills/abilities areas. And yes the 4 guys we lost early last year were among our better skaters so we did take a hit from that.

Comment

Some posters keep comparing the woes of UAA to LSSU. Why is LSSU at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to paying their coaches? Does the school not have the ability to fund the hockey program in a manner that will make them successful, or at least be able to compete?
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I know over the years the state of Michigan has slashed funding to universities and with Lake State being so small it has hurt athletics imensly along with other departments.

I believe John Oldsmobile Engler was the governor that got that ball rolling.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                Some posters keep comparing the woes of UAA to LSSU. Why is LSSU at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to paying their coaches? Does the school not have the ability to fund the hockey program in a manner that will make them successful, or at least be able to compete?
                As Perky said, LSSU is small. Of the 15 public universities in Michigan, LSSU is by far the smallest. So budget wise it also has less money than other universities in Michigan.

Comment

Enrollment is at an all time low, though it sounds like recent projections put the incoming freshman class this fall as one of the largest in years.

The Athletic department only has like 20-odd employees across all sports, and from the way it sounds is operating under a 'below shoestring budget'.

I don't know how many scholarships the school gives out for hockey compared to other D1 schools, but while the coach isn't getting paid what a number of his colleagues are across the nation, I don't think that's the big problem. There's what, 61 D1 teams, plus 81 D3 schools. I'm fairly confident in saying that each school has at least 2 assistant coaches. So, 141 teams (minus LSSU), *2 = 282 assistant coaches. Certainly for some of the bigger programs, they are well paid & probably happy where they are at, others might not have the degree required, but I've got to think that some of those coaches would like to have a decent payday like what the school is paying Whitten. Hell, most of us probably don't make as much as he does, yet we put in the effort into doing our jobs. The coach just has a bit more to do.

What the problem, to me, comes down to is that we have to have both players and coaches who want to be here. Let's face it, the Sault is not an easy place to live at times. Winters are garbage, there's not much to do on this side of the river, and it's a long way from anywhere. Traveling to schools outside of the U.P sucks, so your weekends are even longer than they would normally be & you're being recruited to play for a team that has had, what, 2 winning seasons in 10 years?

When it comes to the kids, I think most of them want to be here, or are at least grateful for the opportunity to play, especially since a number of them probably would've aged out of juniors without another option, but it's the few that don't want to play here that make everyone look bad. Same goes for the coaches.

Sorry...that was a bit of a top-of-the-mind rant. May not have made much sense.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

One of our new players for next season, Miroslav Mucha, had a good game last night and is now tied for the league lead in goals scored in the NAHL.

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=23484

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

When it comes to the kids, I think most of them want to be here, or are at least grateful for the opportunity to play, especially since a number of them probably would've aged out of juniors without another option, but it's the few that don't want to play here that make everyone look bad. Same goes for the coaches.
                      After watching the Bowling Green in January I would agree with you about 'the few that don't want to play here that make everyone look bad.'
                      Go Lakers!

Comment

The Lakers just got a commitment from a D-man for next season; Mitchell Oliver, played for Alberni Valley of the BCHL this season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=172278

Comment

Enrollment is at an all time low, though it sounds like recent projections put the incoming freshman class this fall as one of the largest in years.

The Athletic department only has like 20-odd employees across all sports, and from the way it sounds is operating under a 'below shoestring budget'.

I don't know how many scholarships the school gives out for hockey compared to other D1 schools, but while the coach isn't getting paid what a number of his colleagues are across the nation, I don't think that's the big problem. There's what, 61 D1 teams, plus 81 D3 schools. I'm fairly confident in saying that each school has at least 2 assistant coaches. So, 141 teams (minus LSSU), *2 = 282 assistant coaches. Certainly for some of the bigger programs, they are well paid & probably happy where they are at, others might not have the degree required, but I've got to think that some of those coaches would like to have a decent payday like what the school is paying Whitten. Hell, most of us probably don't make as much as he does, yet we put in the effort into doing our jobs. The coach just has a bit more to do.

What the problem, to me, comes down to is that we have to have both players and coaches who want to be here. Let's face it, the Sault is not an easy place to live at times. Winters are garbage, there's not much to do on this side of the river, and it's a long way from anywhere. Traveling to schools outside of the U.P sucks, so your weekends are even longer than they would normally be & you're being recruited to play for a team that has had, what, 2 winning seasons in 10 years?

Sorry...that was a bit of a top-of-the-mind rant. May not have made much sense.
                          You think Whitten is getting decent pay? He's one of the lowest in the league.
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

You think Whitten is getting decent pay? He's one of the lowest in the league.
                            Are you getting paid $100k/yr? I know I'm not, so yes, I would consider it decent pay. Maybe not by league standards, but 100 grand in Sault Sainte Marie goes a long ways.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Are you getting paid $100k/yr? I know I'm not, so yes, I would consider it decent pay. Maybe not by league standards, but 100 grand in Sault Sainte Marie goes a long ways.
                              Exactly, not even close to league (any DI league) standards. Heck, posters from other schools have given UAA a hard time because Thomas was paid only $200,000!!!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

College hockey news shows 15 players coming in for the Lakers in 2018 . That is a lot of players. It also shows just 2 players so far for 2019 .

Comment

Working...
                                X