Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    (Do you have to enter game results by hand? 40 teams times 35 games (divided by two). Yikes. Not to mention... typos!)
    typos.....TTT?
    lol.......I thought I was the only one!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      (Do you have to enter game results by hand? 40 teams times 35 games (divided by two). Yikes. Not to mention... typos!)
      Haha no, I have it set up for Excel to pull in the composite schedule from (lol) USCHO. I can manually change stuff though, so I can add in my own UMD/SCSU score if USCHO is still wrong when I update it later.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        the turnover did not allow Sauve much time to be in the right spot!
        When you have an attacker in your front yard you (the goaltender) should be prepared at all times...knowing where your angles are. But it's easy to get lulled asleep by your defense's normal competence as Sauve might have...but even so that's no reason not to be mentally and physically ready. And I didn't realize it when it happened but Klein's shot was bar down.

Comment

UMD with the Shootout win vs the Whitecaps today.

2-2 after regulation with Brodt scoring both UMD goals...first one was a quick wrist shot from in front after a feed from the low circle.

In the 2nd Thunstrom had a breakaway and two semi breakaways (they didn't start that way...she just manufactures them out of nowhere and nothing...fortunately no goals)...she made the 'Dog defense look like they were wading through cold tar or were anchored in concrete up to the knees. If your retina wiring didn't come from the factory with the slo-mo option...you just don't see her!!!!

UMD had many opportunities to put this one away in regulation but it wasn't to be.

Lowenheilm with a nice backhand goal (raised!!!) on Friend in the shootout and Mrzova with another nice one (which was maybe even a gorgeous one which was my first reaction but the replay claimed differently...have to wait for the video for final determination). Johnson perfectly stuffed both Whitecap attempts in the shootout, coming into the game for the OT with Markel getting regulation playing time.

Good Game.

Bring on them Diggers.

Informal poll: Speed...Thunstrom or Coyne?

I say Thunstrom.
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-03-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            In the 2nd Thunstrom had a breakaway and two semi breakaways (they didn't start that way...she just manufactures them out of nowhere and nothing...fortunately no goals)...she made the 'Dog defense look like they were wading through cold tar or were anchored in concrete up to the knees. If your retina wiring didn't come from the factory with the slo-mo option...you just don't see her!!!!

Informal poll: Speed...Thunstrom or Coyne?

I say Thunstrom.
            Allie is on the US speedskating team and nearly qualified for PyeongChang at the Olympic trials.

I miss Allie She was me and Joe's first favorite player and the reason we follow women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Allie is on the US speedskating team and nearly qualified for PyeongChang at the Olympic trials.
              Yes, I know...but they are two different types of skating. I've talked to people apparently knowledgeable about this and have been told that ability at one type doesn't necessarily translate into ability in the other. Long strides over long distances vs the opposite...not to mention the differences in the skates. Which is all the more amazing that she can excel at both.

[QUOTE=I miss Allie She was me and Joe's first favorite player and the reason we follow women's hockey.[/QUOTE]

I know this too because you've told me many times and I never get tired of hearing it. Such a phenom deserves to be acknowledged and often.

I think Coyne has blazing speed but Thunstrom has lightning speed. But, I could be wrong. I can't think of anyone else who is even close.
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-03-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Highlights of today's game.

Forgot to mention Brodt also had a penalty shot but didn't score.

And Mrzova's shootout goal was nice but not gorgeous. I had originally thought that she had dragged the puck back between her feet, as she often likes/attempts to do, but that's not what happened here.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/index.aspx?path=whockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  I know this too because you've told me many times and I never get tired of hearing it. Such a phenom deserves to be acknowledged and often.
                  Hear hear

Comment

Really interesting article on former UMD player Sarah Murray and how she became coach of the Korean Olympic women's team. Assuming it's the direction she'd be interested in pursuing when the games are over, I would think her accomplishments would make her a viable candidate for a head coaching job at a D1 school here in the U.S.?

Former Minnesota Duluth hockey player Sarah Murray finds herself coaching Korean women's Olympic team
                    http://www.startribune.com/former-mi...eam/473492463/
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Follow up article (column) to the above, which also explains the agreement worked out between South and North Korean on the merged teams. Hats off to Ms. Murray on helping to make the best of a very difficult situation.

http://www.startribune.com/sarah-mur...ity/473492343/
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Bad news from the bowels of Amsoil:

UW 3 - UMD 0 after one. SOG UW 11 - UMD 3.

A couple of minutes in Healey opened the scoring for UW, unfortunately, by deflecting a cross crease pass 5 hole on Convery, while trying to defend it.

A couple minutes later a wrist shot from the blue line found its way through traffic into the back of the net. Couldn't tell from the replays but it might have been deflected...Convery might not have seen it at all due to all the traffic in front of her.

A third goal later went 5 hole that Convery should have had.

The second goal, less than 5 minutes in, seemed to have deflated the 'Dogs and they started standing around a bit in their own end while UW kept up the high pace with quick decisions and passing.

Unfortunate start but the 'Dogs have to jam it into overdrive if they want to overcome UW's apparent desire to not let this game go to the judge's scorecards.

I'd like to publicly thank OSU for waking UW...bad timing for UMD...it would appear, so far.

Comment

UW 4 - UMD 0 after two.

Norby on a wrist shot from the high slot after having skated completely around the UMD end with the puck while the 'Dogs were eating popcorn in the stands...seemingly content to watch.

Apart from that this was a better period for UMD and they created a few good scoring opportunities but they keep making periodic mental errors that UW is happy to take advantage of and capitalized on one of them.

Rogge with a nice move created a great opportunity but it left her in too close on Campbell and she couldn't raise the puck over Campbell's pad.

Pretty quick game and UMD seems to have shaken most of the negative effect of those two first quick goals but they have to remain focused and hungry. Probably a stretch to think that they may be able to reel this one back in but they can put themselves in a good frame of mind for tomorrow's game with continued aggressive play for the balance of this game.

Comment

UW 5 - UMD 0 final.

Wellhausen about 6 minutes into the third period swiped at the puck in front and it went 5 hole...again, Convery should have had it. She was then relieved by Johnson.

The game wasn't nearly as bad as the score would seem to indicate. UMD did not fold.

The story was a bit of bad luck very early, Convery not being sharp tonight and some periodic standing around watching UW move the puck quickly around the UMD end. Add an excellent opponent and there you have it.

The 'Dogs came close to scoring in the third on a play that maybe should have been reviewed but wasn't. They thought they had scored. Would have been a positive to take into tomorrow's game.

Comment

Diggers 0 - 'Dogs 1 after one.

Elmes (Brandon, Man.) on the PP places a backhander tight short side on Campbell (Brandon, Man.)...I assume that they know each other...looked like there was no space for the puck to squeeze through but I guess that's why Gretzky made his famous comment about shots that you don't take.

UMD had no PP's last night.

The 'Dogs are playing well so far except for a bit of standing around in their own end admiring the Diggers' possession. With your opponent in the slot with the puck it should be obvious to you that you shouldn't be watching.

Campbell seems to have a short fuse...she took a good swipe with her stick at a 'Dog last night and today has taken exception twice so far which resulted in a quick "punch" from her each time.

Comment

Diggers 0 - 'Dogs 2 six minutes into the second.

Comment

Working...
                                X