X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Yeah, Wisconsin got a win against #1, but does that does that do enough to move the needle? They are still 12-12-3, with a few horrible losses on their record.

new rankings 15-20
    15 - Bowling Green (14-8-6)
    16 - BC (11-9-3)
    17 - Michigan (12-10-2)
    18 - Wisconsin (12-12-3)
    19 - Omaha (12-11-1)
    20 - NMU (15-10-3)

Would you put them ahead of a 12-10-2 Michigan team that took 5 of 6 points from Wisconsin already?
    Would you put them ahead of a 11-9-3 BC team, or a 14-8-6 Bowling Green who have better records?

If anything, they might be ranked a touch too high.
    They are ahead of 12-11-1 Omaha (better record in an arguably better conference)
    They are ahead of 15-10-3 NMU (NMU split with Wisconsin early in the season, and has an overall better record)
    Going back to this...

Michigan earned 2/6 points from Wisconsin. Wisconsin won 7-4 and tied 4-4 by NCAA standards against them at the Kohl Center.

The Badgers actually have an advantage in the record vs common opponent department against quite a few of the teams in front of them in the PWR. Main factor holding us back is our RPI. With road games given a higher RPI weight (if you win) this next weekend against Michigan and three weekends from now against Ohio State are HUGE. Home losses are associated as the same weight as a road win. Have to do well against the gophers.

So... Basically what I'm saying is if the boys keep winning weekends, boosting RPI, we have a really good shot to leap frog a lot of teams.
    Last edited by digitalbooya; 01-29-2018, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Not sure why everyone is talking about comebacks, saves and turnovers. The officiating crew apparently thought that 14,000 of us showed up to watch them conduct faceoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
        Not sure why everyone is talking about comebacks, saves and turnovers. The officiating crew apparently thought that 14,000 of us showed up to watch them conduct faceoffs.
        ...or lack thereof...
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
          True, it was one of those games where they were the 3rd team on the ice. A good officiating crew should never really be noticed. Their activities should be part of the flow of the game, not setting the flow of the game.

On the other hand, both teams were playing with the same set of officials on the ice. Sure, PSU had the advantage in penalties called over the weekend (14 to 17), but I don't think it was anything that was horribly slanted one way or the other.
          Both teams had plenty of players kicked off of the dot. Both teams had some questionable calls for and some curious non-calls against.

Comment

I didn't mean to suggest the officiating was slanted. They were just ridiculously obsessive about faceoffs. At some point, you just gotta get the puck down.

Comment

I didn't mean to suggest the officiating was slanted. They were just ridiculously obsessive about faceoffs. At some point, you just gotta get the puck down.
              Friday night the one linesman kicked someone almost every time and the other one dropped it first time every time even with someone going early. Saturday, it seemed like they were both obsessing. I agree it was very frustrating Friday slowing down the flow. drop it and move on.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Super happy about the tie Saturday but what the hell was Linhart doing on the breakaway where they got behind him and Kaly...all of a sudden he's diving and sliding onto the ice like a seal when he should be reading the play and being the last man back. What a dumb play.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I just went on line to buy a couple tickets for a friend for the Saturday goofer game. If you don't have Saturday night ducats and you want to go, you better act fast. Saturday WILL be a sellout, but Friday looks like quite a bit available yet.

As long as we're talking tickets, or at least I am, I know stuff happens and you can't always use your seats. If you can't go, sell them to somebody or give them away. Saturday night's paid attendance was just under 14,000. No way in hell there were 14,000 there. We were trying to guess the attendance before it was announced and everybody was saying 11K up to 13K. Don't eat 'em, give 'em.

It was really evident during the Sunday women's game, at least it was on TV. The remaining games are all sold out, but there were a bunch of empty seats. I'm sure a lot of youngsters would have loved to go, but were told no tickets available.

This probably doesn't apply to anybody here, but it doesn't make sense to me. That's a lot of beer money to **** away!

"You sound like your dad", "Get off my lawn", "I left a message on your machine", "Kids today", "Time to schedule my colonoscopy", "I taped it last night". Shut up.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• I've got tickets to both games against the gophers. Will be coming down from Stevens Point. I can't wait!

Comment

I didn't think you did. I was just making the point that both teams had to deal with the poor officials, so it isn't really a differentiation that anyone can cite when talking about what made a difference in the game.

But there were some bonehead turnovers that could have made a difference. And the grit that the boys showed in both 3rd periods was amazing. Turnovers we have been seeing, and will keep complaining about. 3rd period performances like those have been few and far between, we'll probably keep gushing about those until the next game.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        I just went on line to buy a couple tickets for a friend for the Saturday goofer game. If you don't have Saturday night ducats and you want to go, you better act fast. Saturday WILL be a sellout, but Friday looks like quite a bit available yet.

As long as we're talking tickets, or at least I am, I know stuff happens and you can't always use your seats. If you can't go, sell them to somebody or give them away. Saturday night's paid attendance was just under 14,000. No way in hell there were 14,000 there. We were trying to guess the attendance before it was announced and everybody was saying 11K up to 13K. Don't eat 'em, give 'em.

It was really evident during the Sunday women's game, at least it was on TV. The remaining games are all sold out, but there were a bunch of empty seats. I'm sure a lot of youngsters would have loved to go, but were told no tickets available.

This probably doesn't apply to anybody here, but it doesn't make sense to me. That's a lot of beer money to **** away!

"You sound like your dad", "Get off my lawn", "I left a message on your machine", "Kids today", "Time to schedule my colonoscopy", "I taped it last night". Shut up.
                        People do leave some spare tickets in the vestibules for people to use for the women's games. I got in 2 weeks ago when I was one short (when they sold out before I bought the 4th ticket I needed) and I left a spare in there Sunday afternoon for someone to use. But yes WAY too many people just eat the tickets and it's sad.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Super happy about the tie Saturday but what the hell was Linhart doing on the breakaway where they got behind him and Kaly...all of a sudden he's diving and sliding onto the ice like a seal when he should be reading the play and being the last man back. What a dumb play.
                          Linhart has been awful at reading plays throughout his time at UW. It’s very frustrating, especially when one’s favorite player is paired up with him.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                            Friday night the one linesman kicked someone almost every time and the other one dropped it first time every time even with someone going early. Saturday, it seemed like they were both obsessing. I agree it was very frustrating Friday slowing down the flow. drop it and move on.
                            I had a chance to talk to someone with knowledge of officiating about the games from this weekend. He thought that while the linesmen may have been pushing a bit on the faceoffs there are specific rules and procedures that have to be followed (skates behind the lines, D stick down first, etc). And I get it, there are rules, and when the rules aren't followed the officials need to step in to make sure that the rules are followed. Granted, some officials are a bit more strict on the rules than others are...and some players may have made a name for themselves which draws extra attention to their actions.

The one option that was mentioned as kind of a "nuclear" option would be that if Team A has Player #1 kicked out and Player #2 comes in to take the faceoff ans is also kicked that it is then a 2 min penalty on Team A (I believe a delay of game).
                            It would certainly get the attention of all players, and they would surely keep their toes behind the lines. It would absolutely get the attention of the coaches, and I'm sure they would have some words for the officials. But this is almost never called because no official wants to possibly alter the course of a game because the players aren't giving him a clean faceoff.

As easy as it is to blame it on the officials, and scream "Drop the puck!", you have to take the actions of the players into account.

To put it in another light, name another sport where you have a dead-ball/starting play action where players routinely move past/over the boundaries without it stopping play.
                            You don't see players inching into the lane in basketball when someone is shooting free throws. They get called for a lane violation.
                            You don't see players sneaking across the line of scrimmage in football when lining up for a play. They get called for an penalty.
                            You don't see a batter inching closer and closer to the plate and going over the edges of the batter's box in baseball. I'm pretty sure it is an automatic strike.

No go ahead, label me as an apologist and tell me what it doesn't matter what the players are doing, the linesman just needs to drop the puck as quickly as possible and get out of the way so that the play can continue...

Comment

First you apologize for Eaves and now the officials.

Pardon the pun, but you're skating on thin ice buddy!
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Hockey face-offs are ridiculous. If the official decides he doesn't care and wants the crowd to be pumped up, he just chucks the puck vaguely at the dot. Other times, he enforces the rule, booting one or both players. Then he just chucks the puck at the dot while the players are moving. It's funniest when there's a big playoff game, and the broadcast starts the period with that bird's eye view directly over center ice. The centers and the official all glide towards the dot, and you sometimes get to see some of the most absurd puck throws.

The obvious solution is to just put the puck on the ice and blow the whistle. It gets rid of cheating (well, if players cheat the rules, they'd just look like idiots) that is so natural with puck dropping. It also gives you the result of a perfect puck drop every time. Leave it up to the players who are actually good at face-offs. (And don't let Trent Frederic be a total clown and drift forward so his skates are more than halfway on the other player's side.)
                                Last edited by WiscDC; 01-30-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X