Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    Watching Harvard play Cornell on Saturday after we played them on Friday was eye opening and a study in contrast. It was a total 180 degrees. Harvard went after the puck with a vengeance. It was Cornell who was on its heals. Cornell score in the final minute to make it 4-1. The one play that summed it all up was when a 5'9" Harvard forward knocked a 6'4" Cornell player on his butt.

For Friday, IMO, we had the largest fan turnout of any of the four teams.

Sak stopped 21 shots in the first period or the score could have been much worse. It was an embarrassment. I don't know of any other tournament team that is failing to give 60 minutes of playoff hockey at this point in the season.

Harvard had no fans to cheer them on but they did not need them. They were very skilled but they were also very "hungry".

These Dutchmen have accomplished more than I ever thought. A league-best record. A Cleary Cup. Finishing in the top 10 with an invitation to the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed. Two Hobey Baker candidates, four members of the all ECAC league team including the MVP. Many of the players are STEM scholars as well. Bennett and the whole team deserve our praise and applause and thanks. Once again as fans they have made us proud.

I hope we go the rest of the way giving 100% for 60 minutes and I hope we can leave everything on the ice.
    Oh Dutchman.. So many good points in there and then you kinda ruin it with the "embarrassment" line..
    A team that has secured it's spot in the NCAA final field vs one who many considered on the bubble,
    A team with everything to play for is desperate and yet, in spite of that and the extra ncaa incentive only lead 2 to 1 till late. and having gotten
    more power play opportunities (4 to 2) - two on questionable calls (how is getting pushed into the goalie your fault? or having the man you are checking grab your stick your fault?).
    That my friend is hardly an embarrassment - at least to anyone not wearing stripes? (note for Harvard the penalties went the other way and even Cornell couldn't deal with it)
    The Union men didn't quit nor did they play as bad as the score would have one believe..

They exceeded everyone's expectations and returned excitement to Union hockey.. I salute them !!
    Now take it to those cats in blue... Go U...

Comment

Harvard Sports Hockey Blog Preview
      THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE HARVARD SPORTS ANALYSIS COLLECTIVE
      http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/201...s-and-preview/
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Clint Eastwood's advice for the Dutchmen
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid-CW-O9Qw
        Last edited by Dutchman; 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

They are on their way !!!!
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Watching Harvard play Cornell on Saturday after we played them on Friday was eye opening and a study in contrast. It was a total 180 degrees. Harvard went after the puck with a vengeance. It was Cornell who was on its heals. Cornell score in the final minute to make it 4-1. The one play that summed it all up was when a 5'9" Harvard forward knocked a 6'4" Cornell player on his butt.

For Friday, IMO, we had the largest fan turnout of any of the four teams.

Sak stopped 21 shots in the first period or the score could have been much worse. It was an embarrassment. I don't know of any other tournament team that is failing to give 60 minutes of playoff hockey at this point in the season.

Harvard had no fans to cheer them on but they did not need them. They were very skilled but they were also very "hungry".

These Dutchmen have accomplished more than I ever thought. A league-best record. A Cleary Cup. Finishing in the top 10 with an invitation to the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed. Two Hobey Baker candidates, four members of the all ECAC league team including the MVP. Many of the players are STEM scholars as well. Bennett and the whole team deserve our praise and applause and thanks. Once again as fans they have made us proud.

I hope we go the rest of the way giving 100% for 60 minutes and I hope we can leave everything on the ice.
            First, Harvard did have fans at the game and our band actually showed up which was stunning to say the least. They made it to only two or three games this year.

Second, if Cornell had converted a couple of their wide open looks at the net, the outcome on Saturday might have been very different. We were outplayed at times by the Big Red and it was our PP that was the difference in the game. Five on five, we had chances but so did they. Their puck possession wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. They hate us with the fire of a thousand suns which contributes to their energy and drive in playing us. Ultimately our skill won out but they hung tough.

Third, you have a great team and it was not embarrassing to lose to Cornell. They were ranked as high as #9 in the polls this year. It was surprising to me to see a Union team that at times was sleepwalking through that game. Perhaps you expected the wider ice surface to play to your strengths. What's done is done. The Big Red deserve to be in the NCAA tournament as do you and let's hope we see each other one more time.

Comment

http://northofboston.wickedlocal.com...ncaa-title-run
              Nice local interview with Mike

We laid an egg in the ECAC tournament, and it hurt sitting in our stalls after the game knowing we got outworked.

Cornell is strong defensively, and we played right into their hands, which taxed our legs. We needed more guys battling and competing out there, but it just wasn't our night and we didn't capitalize on our chances. It was a good lesson for the younger guys, who haven't had that kind of playoff experience. Hopefully, it bumped us back on the right path going into the NCAAs.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Vech was honest and candid with his comments in the interview.
                Playoff hockey is a different beast sometimes the moment is too big
                We all saw the progression with the NC team and how they learned
                from blowing the Colgate ECAC Playoff series their Freshmen year then not losing another ECAC playoff game for the next 3 years. Getting to the Frozen Four only to lose to Ferris State; these experiences helped to prep them for their NC run.
                Hopefully the team will have learned from the Cornell game and be ready for the next step in the opening round of the NCAA's.
                The team has had a great year and they are now playing with house money. Play with passion, desperation and stay out of the box this team has the talent and leadership to beat Penn State but they must play their A game for 60 minutes. Looking forward to the drop of the puck on Saturday......

Let's go U !
                Last edited by Union27; 03-24-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Union on a good regular season. Looking forward to next year.
                  Last edited by Vaportrail; 03-25-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Congrats Penn State and good luck against Denver..

Congrats Union on an excellent year no one expected you to have the year you had. This team exceeded expectations in every way. Being a co winner of the Cleary Cup and getting back to the NCAA tourney were great achievements. To our Seniors thanks for everything you did for the program and best of luck as you move on to the next chapter.
                    Vech & Foo had monster years....just unbelievable production and performance. Also terrific young men who are both deserving of the Hobey. Looking forward to next season already...
                    Good luck Harvard make the ECAC proud you have the talent and experience to bring home the NC.
                    Until next year Let's go U !

Comment

Congrats to Pen State !!!!!!!
                      That was BRUTAL.
                      Can't remember the last time that many goals were scored against us... or such a huge goal difference...
                      We were in the game in the first, with clear chances, until the PP goal... After that, it was like a different team was on the ice. Nothing went our way and Penn State went to town relentlessly! Hope the players learn from that.
                      Let's go Union !
                      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by UFan View Post
                        That was BRUTAL.
                        Can't remember the last time that many goals were scored against us... or such a huge goal difference...
                        We were in the game in the first, with clear chances, until the PP goal... After that, it was like a different team was on the ice. Nothing went our way and Penn State went to town relentlessly! Hope the players learn from that.
                        Per CHN, first time Union has allowed 10. Might be why you can't remember it

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          Per CHN, first time Union has allowed 10. Might be why you can't remember it
                          I feel like Clarkson scored 10 on Union in 1992-93, my freshman year at Clarkson. I remember the score chant where we counted by 2's instead of 1's because it would have taken too long.
                          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                          12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Penn state has a good offense so you guys did well only giving up one touchdown

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                              Congrats Penn State and good luck against Denver..

Congrats Union on an excellent year no one expected you to have the year you had. This team exceeded expectations in every way. Being a co winner of the Cleary Cup and getting back to the NCAA tourney were great achievements. To our Seniors thanks for everything you did for the program and best of luck as you move on to the next chapter.
                              Vech & Foo had monster years....just unbelievable production and performance. Also terrific young men who are both deserving of the Hobey. Looking forward to next season already...
                              Good luck Harvard make the ECAC proud you have the talent and experience to bring home the NC.
                              Until next year Let's go U !
                              You just can't have an off day, in a one and done tournament - They had an awesome year and most certainly
                              far exceeded expectations.. They were fun to watch. Thank you to the Seniors for your play and sacrifices and
                              best of luck in all your future endeavors..

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                                That was BRUTAL.
                                Didn't see the highlights (or lowlights I guess) until I got home after Harvard-Air Force. Stunned to say the least. For a minute I thought they had the wrong score. Then I saw the barrage. Shouldn't take away from what was a great year.

Comment

Working...
                                X