2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Kind of interesting to note that the conference mostly had pretty easy travel pairings for the playoffs. UAF had to fly anyway, but Mankato is easy by our standards (easy flight to MSP, quick drive south). MTU/LSSU and BGSU/FSU are all under 300 miles. Northern Michigan might have had the worst draw with a 400 mile bus ride to Bemidji.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I'm still new to this whole WCHA.tv thing. Can anyone tell me why I can't go full screen? Might it have anything to do with the browser? I'm using Internet Explorer.

Comment

Dave, to go back to your question: BELOW is an estimate, and ABOVE projects off of that estimate. Right now, because of the run the Wildcats went on, BELOW thinks that the Wildcats are the sixth-best team in the league right now (and had them at fourth as of Week 20). They just happen to be playing the best team in the league, and ABOVE doesn't like their chances.

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
        I'm still new to this whole WCHA.tv thing. Can anyone tell me why I can't go full screen? Might it have anything to do with the browser? I'm using Internet Explorer.
        At the bottom of the window: start at the center with the elapsed-time counter, then move right: volume icon, then the useless popup player, and then four arrows pointing away from the center.

Happy hunting. I won't be watching tonight (too hard) but will probably do so tomorrow.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          At the bottom of the window: start at the center with the elapsed-time counter, then move right: volume icon, then the useless popup player, and then four arrows pointing away from the center.

Happy hunting. I won't be watching tonight (too hard) but will probably do so tomorrow.

GFM
          Yeah we've tried that. It's like the button is broken or something.

Comment

Guys, they read our posts about lack of offense.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Dave, to go back to your question: BELOW is an estimate, and ABOVE projects off of that estimate. Right now, because of the run the Wildcats went on, BELOW thinks that the Wildcats are the sixth-best team in the league right now (and had them at fourth as of Week 20). They just happen to be playing the best team in the league, and ABOVE doesn't like their chances.

GFM
              Thanks Geof.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

What happened to Atte Tolvanen? After five straight shutouts, he has given up 21 goals the past five games.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  What happened to Atte Tolvanen? After five straight shutouts, he has given up 21 goals the past five games.
                  The law of averages?
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

...[T]he first round looks about like this:
                    Quarterfinal 1: Northern Michigan at Bemidji State
                    Seed 8 Wins in 3 6.106%.
                    GFM

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    The law of averages?
                    Yep. That's my take on it too.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                      The law of averages?
                      Yes I would say there is some regression to the mean. But probably more importantly is that Tolvanen's shutouts, as significant as they were, were against our #4, #6 & #10 WCHA teams. In contrast, his last 3 opponents have been the WCHA's #1, #2, and #3 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Thanks Geof.
                        Sure. Two months ago, NMU was headed for maybe 20 points and a 10th-place finish. It's amazing what happens when a team goes on a run.

What I did notice in looking at last year and the year before was that the top three teams are about as good, but instead of having the 4-5-6 teams be considered above average, they're right about average to kinda sucky. If I can put the whole nWCHA history through the wringer this summer, I will.

GFM

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Yes I would say there is some regression to the mean. But probably more importantly is that Tolvanen's shutouts, as significant as they were, were against our #4, #6 & #10 WCHA teams. In contrast, his last 3 opponents have been the WCHA's #1, #2, and #3 teams.
                          NMU was outshot and outplayed in the BGSU series by a wide margin. He made 75 saves, many of the circus variety, and is the ONLY reason they won a game in that series much less two. To say they are just playing better teams now is a disservice to how well he played and how much he picked his team up and basically put them into the playoffs on his back. Nobody could keep that level of play up forever.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                            NMU was outshot and outplayed in the BGSU series by a wide margin. He made 75 saves, many of the circus variety, and is the ONLY reason they won a game in that series much less two. To say they are just playing better teams now is a disservice to how well he played and how much he picked his team up and basically put them into the playoffs on his back. Nobody could keep that level of play up forever.
                            There was nothing written here that was a disservice to Tolvanen. I gave credit to his shutouts as significant; and my response helped answer the question that was presented. He's a Tier 1 goalie who I have watched play in person a half a dozen times. His "player of the month" award was well deserved and indeed he is the major reason the Cats are in the playoffs. Yet it is incontrovertible to suggest that the 2 distinct levels of competition did not play a significant role in yielding zero goals versus 21 during two consecutive 5-game spans.

Comment

Good riddance to Ferris. Glad to see anti-hockey take an early powder this season.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                Considering Bemidji has only scored more than 4 goals in 3 games this season, I think the chances of them blowing out anyone are minimal. Northern doesn't match up well at all with Minnesota State, but there isn't any way the Beavers can play that game. BSU has one sweep in their last 11 weekends. That alone should make you think this series is going 3 games, and after seeing both of them in person in the second half I just think NMU has that little something extra they can pull out on Sunday.
                                Well, here's that third game you mentioned. I still think BSU comes out on top, but I'd really like to see NMU next weekend. Not out of disrespect to NMU, I'm scared to death of the goaltending, but because I love the energy in the building when NMU shows up.

Comment

Working...
                                X