Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
    Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.
    I've only heard that rumored on here. I've never heard that in any sound bytes or speeches of his.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.
      I've heard the Pres. say lots of things, but never that one. There was some "looking" into moving the whole athletic program to D1, which would have involved some time at D2, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. The latest (as of the announcement for the women's team going D1) is that there is no longer any consideration of moving everything to D1 in the foreseeable future (things could change someday, of course), but there was some "looking into" getting the NCAA to reverse the rule that only grandfathered playup schools could offer scholarships for their one D1 sport. There was a quote from someone, maybe Lou Spiotti, about that in one of the articles. I was surprised to see it, but the success with introducing NCAA legislation to allow the women's team to move up might be giving RIT some confidence to try on that front as well.

Personally I think we are far more likely to end up with scholarships for the hockey teams by getting an NCAA rules change than by moving the whole program up. That said, the chances of either might be really low!

EDIT: Here's a link to Ed's article with details on the process (scholarships near the end)
      http://www.uscho.com/2012/03/20/rits...to-division-i/
      Last edited by RITProf; 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM. Reason: Added link
      -M

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Fixing the glass and scoreboard so they don't keep breaking wouldn't hurt, either.
        In fairness, that did only happen once.
        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale.
          I'm as eager as you are to see RIT keep moving forward, but I think your expectations here are a bit high.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Can we take anything that Coach Marshall was unavailable for comment as an indicator of where his future lies?
            Bruce isn't going anywhere. Believe me.

Comment

Sorry but I'm sick of having a season that's realistically only 3 weekends long. I want more than one shot at the NCAA tournament and I want other schools to start looking at RIT with concern instead of "eh, we'll probably win... they may get lucky though." That's only going to happen when we put ourselves in a tougher conference, draw better recruits, and grow as a team.

Sure... the AHA is getting "stronger"... sort of. Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale. Even if RITs OOC is phenomenal one year, our PWR will still be awful because of all the AHA games.
              You sound like the rescued Titanic passenger that complained about the accommodations on The Carpathia.
              Bentley University Hockey
              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Good for the new AD. I believe UCONN can be good very quick. Standards aren't like some other schools (heck they let me in) and will be able to get kids in relatively easy. The football program might be the model. I'm not so interested in where they play but what the coaching staff will look like. Can we take anything that Coach Marshall was unavailable for comment as an indicator of where his future lies? Whatever his fate he should get a landing spot.
                My guess is that if a move is made in the next 2 years, Bruce stays for at least a few years. I think you could argue that he has earned that right, quite frankly. As I said on some other thread on this matter, while I certainly don't think Bruce Marshall is the second coming of Jerry York or Jack Parker, he deserves a shot in a situation where he has comparable resources to his competitors. When you look at his record in D3 days he made the program competitive. And while he hasn't exactly dominated in the D-1 era, UCONN has been reasonably competitive in the league most years. When they have been bad, he has gone out and brought in the guys they needed to get better. 2009 and 2010 are a case in point. they struggled but went out and recruited a group of young scorers who were pretty good and got back to being a competitive team. Again, he isn't Jack Parker, but I'm not convinced he is all that bad.

Comment

I think UConn makes the most sense as the 12th team, presuming Hockey East evolves that way. There also seems to be no real reason not to say 'Yes' immediately so that UConn can enter the league when Notre Dame does.
                  Chris V
                  Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

This will be an interesting case study on the effects of increased funding and conference affiliation on a program's on-ice success. UConn, over the last 10 years, has had a conference record above .500 (in easily the weakest conference in D1) a total of two times, '10-'11 (+1) and '06-'07 (+3). They have never had (in the last ten years) an overall record above .500 or in N/C games. So, the bogey is set really low here. Any modicum of success either in HE, or even OOC games should be proof positive of the level of improvement money and affiliation can bring.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      This will be an interesting case study on the effects of increased funding and conference affiliation on a program's on-ice success. UConn, over the last 10 years, has had a conference record above .500 (in easily the weakest conference in D1) a total of two times, '10-'11 (+1) and '06-'07 (+3). They have never had (in the last ten years) an overall record above .500 or in N/C games. So, the bogey is set really low here. Any modicum of success either in HE, or even OOC games should be proof positive of the level of improvement money and affiliation can bring.
                      While I think scholarships and an influx of funding will be key to their success just as a Hockey East team, I look at one major issue - IF this team does not succeed, which they definitely would not right away, and IF the rink is at the XL center 30 miles off campus, what makes everyone so sure that UCOnn would bring fans in for Hartford?

It's the same theory UMass is using by playing home football games at Gillette Stadium; that your brand can outdraw the negative of relocating off campus. Right now, UConn hockey is going to try and bank on the Hockey East and UConn names, not the "UConn hockey" name. That's a very large gamble to be taking with a program that has, as you've pointed out, struggle dmightily outside the conference.

It may take 7 years, but they will improve just with scholarships and money being sunk into the program. It'll need to get a whole crop of scholarship players and thats assuming some don't leave. See also: Schneider, Cole. Who could've trailblazed this program into a new day and instead left for pro hockey.
                      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

scheigs,

I think you really have to wait a minimum of 5 years before making any kind of evaluation of on-ice performance. After watching 2 UCONN programs move up in class (football recently and basketball to the big east in the 1980s where they were really not on the same level as most of the programs in the early days) I think it really takes at least that long to hope to become competetive. Remember, even if UCONN's level of talent goes up, the level of the competition does too. Not ot be a wise guy but replacing Bentley with the other BU is something of a different level. As far as out of conference games, I don't know, but have any AHA teams really had better than .500 records? Always playing them on the road makes it pretty tough to begin with. Doing it with a lesser talent pool makes it even harder.

By the way, I don't have anything against Bentley except when UCONN plays them. I jsut think that husky fans in general will be way more interested in games against BC and the other BU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          By the way, I don't have anything against Bentley except when UCONN plays them. I jsut think that husky fans in general will be way more interested in games against BC and the other BU.
                          Anyone that is more interested in seeing Bentley over BC/BU probably went to Bentley. Heck, most people that went to Bentley would rather watch BC/BU.

Comment

Have to make the point that UConn isn't too shabby right now. If they hadn't gone into a slump for a few weeks against the weaker teams in the AHA they played at the end of the season, they would have finished third in the RS. They came the closest to knocking off eventual winner AFA in the AHA tournament (three games with one goal margins in Colorado IIRC), they beat an NCAA berth team UML once, and only lost to them a second time after a 20 minute overtime which would have counted as a tie if it had not been a tournament game. I see the glass of this last year's season as half full, not half empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                              You can't really do that anymore. Your athletic program can move to D-II but you can't playup at D-I. As a D-II school you may play in the D-I championship. But your scholly limit is 15.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                You can't really do that anymore. Your athletic program can move to D-II but you can't playup at D-I. As a D-II school you may play in the D-I championship. But your scholly limit is 15.
                                But isn't 15 still more than 0?
                                RIT Tigers
                                Boston Bruins

Comment

Working...
                                X