Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The coach is a Goalie. I think he understands goalie mentality.
    He WAS a goalie! He hasn't played a game that means anything in 30+ years. Today's athletes are different than 30 years ago and coaching styles have changed. You used to be able to ramrod a guy in to performing or you just kicked them aside. Most guys don't respond to that style any more at any level. With the whole anti-bullying movement, the if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all mentality, I think the athletes are more sensitive to criticism and negative feedback. Right or wrong it's the world we live in and the coach (or boss/leader, etc.) that learns to coach or lead in it will be successful. The guy that wants to stay in the "my way or the highway" days will most likely find himself kicked to the curb eventually.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Tyler Heinonen at AHL's San Jose Baracuda.

"Heinonen has become a player that is trusted to slot anywhere into the line up and elevate the play of the line he is on. His speed and hockey IQ combine for a scoring touch that allows him to handle big minutes" How many times did you hear this out of the MTU coaching staff?

https://www.fearthefin.com/2018/2/2/...ction-pto-echl
      Last edited by rustedblades; 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        He WAS a goalie! He hasn't played a game that means anything in 30+ years. Today's athletes are different than 30 years ago and coaching styles have changed. You used to be able to ramrod a guy in to performing or you just kicked them aside. Most guys don't respond to that style any more at any level. With the whole anti-bullying movement, the if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all mentality, I think the athletes are more sensitive to criticism and negative feedback. Right or wrong it's the world we live in and the coach (or boss/leader, etc.) that learns to coach or lead in it will be successful. The guy that wants to stay in the "my way or the highway" days will most likely find himself kicked to the curb eventually.
        Joe has a very good track record with goalies, especially before this year. I don't believe he has kicked any goalie to the curb. We don't get to see practice. Maybe Packy had a good week and Devin was soft on shots. Joe and staff have a lot more experience and knowledge about who to play than I ever will. I don't know Joe, but he doesn't strike me as a "my way or the highway" guy at all. He sounds like a straight shooter who collaborates and sets expectations for each player individually. It also sounds like he uses a good number of metrics to assist in evaluation of players. As a player, it is hard to argue with numbers and tape.

My gut says we might see Kero in goal tonight. I think BGSU plays a game better suited to Kero's style.

Let's go Tech!

Comment

Been away from a bit, more important things going on in my life right now than even Tech hockey. Skimmed the thread and see a lot of people thinking the same as me on many points, the main one being pick your horse at goalie and ride it to the finish line. I may disagree on who that should be, personally I would like to see Beydoun for the reasons mentioned, he has 3 years ahead of him and is the goalie of the future so get him more experience, but I also think his flashes of brilliance have been brighter than either Kero or Packy, I think he looks like the most talented in the group, however he does show to be the most inexperienced and make some dumb, Redmond-esque type mistakes too. I do think all 3 have talent and the ability to be a good goalie, but I think the rotating has hurt all of their confidence as well as the teams.

I do feel this team has a lot of fight, Friday night being down 3-1 and fighting back, we have fought back to ties and even wins more times this season than in any I can remember, they have a lot of fight and grit, but the goaltending has let them down too much. There's also the few players who have just under performed, L'Esperance and Lucchini being the two I think of most. Both should be 30+ point players but neither looks like they'll hit that number. L'Esperance can't buy a goal this year which has hurt us.

Again, this team has more fight and grit than any Tech team I can remember other than maybe the 06-07 squad with Batovanja. We've just made 1 or 2 deadly mistakes in too many games with shaky goaltending and not gotten the puck luck we needed. With a solid goalie I think we would be a solid #2 team in the league, but we are where we are and need to fight to keep going.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            Joe has a very good track record with goalies, especially before this year. I don't believe he has kicked any goalie to the curb. We don't get to see practice. Maybe Packy had a good week and Devin was soft on shots. Joe and staff have a lot more experience and knowledge about who to play than I ever will. I don't know Joe, but he doesn't strike me as a "my way or the highway" guy at all. He sounds like a straight shooter who collaborates and sets expectations for each player individually. It also sounds like he uses a good number of metrics to assist in evaluation of players. As a player, it is hard to argue with numbers and tape.

My gut says we might see Kero in goal tonight. I think BGSU plays a game better suited to Kero's style.

Let's go Tech!
            I don't necessarily feel the coach is a my way or the highway type of guy just too black and white, make the numbers or the next guy will. Well the next guy isn't so you need to try to get one guy to play with some confidence regardless if he's making the numbers immediately or not. Hopefully by the playoffs he will be. Whoever he is. For all three to be continually told they are not good enough, no matter how true, they probably start believing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Munson and Beydoun are dressing tonight. Anybody know who's starting? Anybody know if Kero made the trip?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                Munson and Beydoun are dressing tonight. Anybody know who's starting? Anybody know if Kero made the trip?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                From what I have heard Kero did not make the trip.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Munson starts

Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                    I don't necessarily feel the coach is a my way or the highway type of guy just too black and white, make the numbers or the next guy will. Well the next guy isn't so you need to try to get one guy to play with some confidence regardless if he's making the numbers immediately or not. Hopefully by the playoffs he will be. Whoever he is. For all three to be continually told they are not good enough, no matter how true, they probably start believing it.

But maybe he is NOT saying you are NOT good enough, instead he says you two did the better job. Kero may not be there for many reasons. Maybe he is just harder on the goalies because of his own experience?

Comment

This team needs 5 more wins to avoid finishing the season with a losing record, and I don't see how that's going to happen with our goaltending/defensive crew.

Comment

I can’t believe Kero didn’t get on the bus.
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

I can't wait to here how the coach justify this dumpster fire. 4 goals in 10 shots. Does that meet the number.
                          I'm really trying to be supportive here coach but you're making it really hard. The guys were skating so well too. Lots of chances.
                          How can you possibly stay motivated

Comment

Coaching staff would have more value by watching some HS / junior hockey this weekend and sign a goalie.
                            Go Huskies!

Comment

I am honestly not sure if we'll win another game this year.
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Put a beer can in front of the net, and tell the D to play tall cause that is what it looks like from here out.
                                Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X