• Show
Clear All

• Re: bu off-season - #1

Scott Young on the Olympic team staff.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Scott Young on the Olympic team staff.
      Nice trifecta for Young: Penguins job, Olympic assistant and US Hockey Hall of Fame induction in December.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• David Farrance with GWG vs Finland on end-to-end rush. Oettinger with 37 saves. bit.ly/2v7clqzp

Comment

• Slick goal and an assist for Harper in 7-5 win over Canada. Saw time on point on power play.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYZNROhm78c
          Last edited by Rogie21; 08-06-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Several wrap-up articles from the WJSS by Neal Boudette; interviews with Fabbro, Kotkansalo
            link

Comment

So now that most of the summer hockey is over, and there are less than 2 months before the first real game, a stab at roster, lines, etc. I'm not really concerned about LD/RD or C vs W, just putting them on the lines based on where I think their skill set belongs. I think I may be missing one transfer...

F
              Harper-Greenway-Carpenter
              Tkachuk-Bowers-Crone
              Amonte-Melanson-Cloonan
              Cockerill-Curry-Olsson

Phelps, Chabot, McDermott, Witkowski

D
              Hickey-Krys
              Fabbro-MacLeod
              Farrance-Kotkansalo

Switzer, Diffley

(is Crotty coming this year or next? I've excluded thinking he is next year. If he is 2017, then maybe he bumps MacLeod after getting his feet wet)

G (this one is easy)
              Oettinger
              Prawdzik
              Hotte

Despite the losses of Keller, JFK, and McAvoy, this team has some serious potential. The talent may be more spread out than last year. The 4th line I have above would have been a 3rd line last year. I really don't know what Amonte's talent level is, maybe he and Olsson switch places. If Cloonan struggles to score again, he could end up on the bench.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Think Olsson might be a factor if can stay healthy
                Thought Crotty was coming this year. Hard to believe
                7 drafted defensemen
                Think 3-4 liners and extras will fight for playing time

Comment

Yes, Nik is above cloonan. He just needs to stay healthy.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I could certainly see Nik having a better year than Cloonan if he stays healthy. I was just thinking more in terms of their style. Olsson is a lot more physical, which I think is a better 4th line fit (I could see that 4th line seeing a lot more playing time than recent years). I feel like Cloonan on the 4th line isn't a good fit. Either he starts scoring and is on the 3rd line, or he is on the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      So now that most of the summer hockey is over, and there are less than 2 months before the first real game, a stab at roster, lines, etc. I'm not really concerned about LD/RD or C vs W, just putting them on the lines based on where I think their skill set belongs. I think I may be missing one transfer...

F
                      Harper-Greenway-Carpenter
                      Tkachuk-Bowers-Crone
                      Amonte-Melanson-Cloonan
                      Cockerill-Curry-Olsson

Phelps, Chabot, McDermott, Witkowski

D
                      Hickey-Krys
                      Fabbro-MacLeod
                      Farrance-Kotkansalo

Switzer, Diffley

(is Crotty coming this year or next? I've excluded thinking he is next year. If he is 2017, then maybe he bumps MacLeod after getting his feet wet)

G (this one is easy)
                      Oettinger
                      Prawdzik
                      Hotte

Despite the losses of Keller, JFK, and McAvoy, this team has some serious potential. The talent may be more spread out than last year. The 4th line I have above would have been a 3rd line last year. I really don't know what Amonte's talent level is, maybe he and Olsson switch places. If Cloonan struggles to score again, he could end up on the bench.
                      Skating five newcomers in the top nine—or an all-rookie second line--seems unlikely. Amonte is more likely to be fighting for a spot on the fourth line. A healthy Olsson can play either wing and would help make the third line more productive than last year. My guess:
                      Greenway- Carpenter -Harper
                      Tkachuk - Bowers - Curry
                      Crone-Melanson- Olsson
                      Phelps- - Cloonan -Chabot
                      Cockerill-Amonte –Witkowski

Believe that McDermott is playing a season of junior and may return in 2018. I can see Harper taking over Keller's role on the power play. Cockerill's speed, skill on the PK and ability to play the offwing could move him up the chart. Don't know much about Witkowski other than he was a good scorer, playing with Harper at AOF and again last year in the BCHL while playing for a weak team.

On D, does Quinn keep Hickey and Fabbro together or split them up? If they stay together, then Krys-MacLeod. Five guys competing for the last pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        On D, does Quinn keep Hickey and Fabbro together or split them up? If they stay together, then Krys-MacLeod. Five guys competing for the last pairing.
                        Including three second round draft picks, right? There will inevitably be at least one injury, which will give #7 some playing time. But #8 and #9? Are we destined to another season of hearing how one of them is better than Charlie McAvoy?

Comment

Also, with his 3 goals last year, I don't agree with Curry being a second liner over Crone. Perhaps, to your point, Curry gets the nod to start the season, but if Crone is as good as Hokie says, he seems like he would move up. Then again, maybe Curry will have a better scoring touch with a year under his belt.

Comment

I thought Chabot showed some promise last year as an older freshman
                            Can players like Curry and Phelps take bigger steps forward. Quinn was very positive on Curry but production was lacking.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              Also, with his 3 goals last year, I don't agree with Curry being a second liner over Crone. Perhaps, to your point, Curry gets the nod to start the season, but if Crone is as good as Hokie says, he seems like he would move up. Then again, maybe Curry will have a better scoring touch with a year under his belt.
                              Curry is solid, but in fairness was a last minute filler pick up. Had aged out and even though crone has two years of juniors left had twice as many points on a d first team
                              Crone is a top two line skill player. Curry is a depth player

Which is why Quinn would be positive on him and rightly so

You can't have Thorobreds pulling plows and visa versa.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                I feel like Cloonan on the 4th line isn't a good fit. Either he starts scoring and is on the 3rd line, or he is on the sidelines.
                                Agree with this, and I think his style would be mesh well with someone like Olsson who is more physical, but can skate pretty well and has really good hands. But at some point, he has to start putting pucks in the net. You can only go with the snakebitten reasoning for so long before it becomes apparent there's a skill deficiency.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X