Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    Don't institutions get around that by awarding the players who are also good students academic scholarships? Or does the NCAA not allow that?
    Oh yeah, it's a big deal at all levels, but especially the division III level. Most of those schools are private and very high tuition, but they scholarship grades, all kinds of things to get the cost down to a manageable level. My daughter plays softball and is looking to maybe play at the college level. She also plays the cello, which, at the right school, could be worth some scholarship money, as well. Very few full rides in college softball, even in your large programs.
    “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
    – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
    when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      Don't institutions get around that by awarding the players who are also good students academic scholarships? Or does the NCAA not allow that?
      That’s allowed and why coaches love good students. My point being is that there’s far more roster spots than scholarships, so the transfer rules wouldn’t be as drastic as some are making that out to be. Coaches have a plan A-Z when it comes to scholarships.
      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
        That’s allowed and why coaches love good students. My point being is that there’s far more roster spots than scholarships, so the transfer rules wouldn’t be as drastic as some are making that out to be. Coaches have a plan A-Z when it comes to scholarships.
        Lets say team A finds a kid under the radar who can fly. Maybe the fastest player on the roster but can't score or who hasn't scored, so he's available. Then suddenly as a freshman or sophomore he starts scoring. Guess what, suddenly Michigan needs a scorer and poof, he's gone. It wouldn't be a lot of players, just a few. You could find him money i'm sure. And i'd bet if he decided in October, he could be on the next team by January.
        I think transfers should be allowed, but only in certain cases or with a waiting period of at least a semester.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          For the most part that's true, but.... the big schools have a proposal going forward to allow them to recruit those kids right out of the smaller schools and bring them into their program immediately. No waiting. Kids would be able to transfer in a matter of a couple of weeks mid semester and play. So if a kid is a late bloomer, he is going to be getting calls, not just as a recruit but as a D1 player.
          Umm yeah no. Getting the right classes in between practice would be a nightmare. Paying for classes would be a nightmare even for the big schools. Most if not all colleges/universities operate on a semester schedule not a middle/high school quarter schedule.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Does anyone know if MSU-Mankato has a box office that you can call and order tickets from? Went on TicketMaster and the $17 ticket ends up costing about $27 by the time your done with all the fees. Unbelievable! Does anyone know how much a ticket is at the door for this weekend. I'm ok with paying some fees but an extra $10 is robbery!

Comment

507-389-3000 is the box office number. Tickets are being advertised as $20 for adults and $9 for kids.

Comment

Good article on BGSU and the WCHA over on CHN

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ake-Flight.php

Comment

Beaver Senior goaltender Michael Bitzer has signed with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL.

Beaver Senior forward Kyle Bauman has signed with the Ontario Reign of the AHL. Interesting story on Kyle, who is from the Orlando, Florida area. After his last year of junior hockey, he hadn't landed a spot on a college roster, D-I or D-III. He was all set to go to school back home (Central Florida, I believe) when BSU called in August as they had a roster spot open up. Now, four years later, he is moving on to the AHL with a pro contract. Great story!
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Bemidji Sophomore defenseman Zach Whitecloud has signed a contract with the Vegas Golden Knights. Congrats!

http://www.bsubeavers.com/mhockey/ne...olden-knights/
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

All-WCHA awards are out...
                      2017-18 ALL-WCHA TEAMS

FIRST TEAM

PLAYER (YEAR / HOMETOWN) POSITION SCHOOL

#@C.J. Suess (Sr. / Forest Lake, Minn.) Forward Minnesota State University

%&Marc Michaelis (So. / Mannheim, Germany) Forward Minnesota State University

Troy Loggins (Jr. / Huntington Beach, Calif.) Forward Northern Michigan University

Zach Frye (Sr. / Spokane, Wash.) Defenseman University of Alaska Fairbanks

&Alec Rauhauser (So. / Bismarck, N.D.) Defenseman Bowling Green State University

#!Atte Tolvanen (Jr. / Vihti, Finland) Goaltender Northern Michigan University

SECOND TEAM

%Mitch McLain (Sr. / Baxter, Minn.) Forward Bowling Green State University

Adam Rockwood (Jr. / Coquitlam, British Columbia) Forward Northern Michigan University

Josh Kestner (Sr. / Huntsville, Ala.) Forward University of Alabama in Huntsville

%!Daniel Brickley (Jr. / Sandy, Utah) Defenseman Minnesota State University

Philip Beaulieu (So. / Duluth, Minn.) Defenseman Northern Michigan University

%@Michael Bitzer (Sr. / Moorhead, Minn.) Goaltender Bemidji State University

THIRD TEAM

Zeb Knutson (Sr. / Sioux Falls, S.D.) Forward Minnesota State University

&Darien Craighead (So. / Surrey, British Columbia) Forward Northern Michigan University

Robbie Payne (Sr. / Gaylord, Mich.) Forward Northern Michigan University

&Ian Scheid (So. / Coon Rapids, Minn.) Defenseman Minnesota State University

*Ryker Killins (Jr. / Wawa, Ontario) Defenseman Ferris State University

*&Mitch Reinke (So. / Stillwater, Minn.) Defenseman Michigan Technological University

Connor LaCouvee (Sr. / Qualicum Beach, British Columbia) Goaltender Minnesota State University

ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Jake Jaremko (Fr. / Nowthen, Minn.) Forward Minnesota State University

Brandon Kruse (Fr. / Saline, Mich.) Forward Bowling Green State University

^Steven Jandric (Fr. / Prince George, British Columbia) Forward University of Alaska Fairbanks

^Max Johnson (Fr. / Lakeville, Minn.) Forward Bowling Green State University

^Reggie Lutz (Fr. / Elk River, Minn.) Forward Minnesota State University

Connor Mackey (Fr. / Tower Lakes, Ill.) Defenseman Minnesota State University

Eric Sinclair (Fr. / Kenora, Ontario) Defenseman University of Alaska Anchorage

Eric Dop (Fr. / Lewis Center, Ohio) Goaltender Bowling Green State University
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Just stopped to pick up my tickets for mavs/huskies so I didn’t have to wait in line tomorrow. The sign says $12 for kids 3-17.

Comment

Interview with Zach Whitecloud

https://www.facebook.com/beaverradio...2925203398150/
                          Last edited by beaverhockey; 03-08-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                            Beaver Senior goaltender Michael Bitzer has signed with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL.

Beaver Senior forward Kyle Bauman has signed with the Ontario Reign of the AHL. Interesting story on Kyle, who is from the Orlando, Florida area. After his last year of junior hockey, he hadn't landed a spot on a college roster, D-I or D-III. He was all set to go to school back home (Central Florida, I believe) when BSU called in August as they had a roster spot open up. Now, four years later, he is moving on to the AHL with a pro contract. Great story!
                            I'm a bit surprised Bitzer didn't get an AHL contract.

Comment

So I hear tickets for Saturday are a hot commodity right now

In all seriousness, how does the WCHA approach this situation?
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Mission accomplished. You're welcome.
                                (But next season WCHA folks, let's try to get it done with some additional non-conference wins and not let it go down to the wire like this.)
                                Signed,
                                The Michigan Tech Huskies
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X