Atlantic Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey

I remember the days of minor hockey and travelling to each and every arena and putting together a mental list of each venue and their best food item. What a time we had over so many years, haha.

Has been very quiet on the recruitment signings, unfortunate that so many Atlantic Hockey teams don't do a very good job keeping or growing their fan base with more communication. A few lines on their website would go a long way to help promote things, not that it will bring in hordes of fans perhaps start by keeping the current ones engaged.

Comment

I follow pretty much every Atlantic Hockey teams twitter feeds and I have to say that RMU has been doing the best job recently in hyping their recruits. Seems other teams have been tweeting about the success of their players in the pros and I suppose that's important too as a recruiting tool.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        I follow pretty much every Atlantic Hockey teams twitter feeds and I have to say that RMU has been doing the best job recently in hyping their recruits. Seems other teams have been tweeting about the success of their players in the pros and I suppose that's important too as a recruiting tool.
        Bentley has never been big on social media in terms of hockey, however they have ramped up their efforts in this past year. That said, they never usually say anything about recruits until the fall or the end of summer at the earliest. Bentley seems to have a decent class coming in, highlighted by top-5 BCHL scorer Brett Mennear who should have an immediate impact upon arrival. I will be posting more about Bentley's recruit once a Bentley off-season thread is made.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that RIT will be a strong contender as well. They return many top scorers and defencemen from last year's team. I think the returnees from last year will realize they underachieved last year and will look to rectify that.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Hopefully we have some Robert Morris fans in the forum who I can bounce a question off.

When I see the seniors who have decided to move on to try their wares at the Pro level, I notice that Mr. Daniel Levens from Robert Morris with 49 points (14G, 35A, 49 pts) signed with Wheeling of the ECHL. My question is it seems strange that he didn't get the opportunity out of the box to head to the AHL seeing he is highly skilled and had the stats to back that up?

Mr. Max French from Bentley took the opportunity to head AHL, stat wise with 39 points (17G, 32A, 39 pts).
            Mr. Justin Danforth from Sacred Heart took the opportunity to head AHL, stat wise with 32 points (10G, 22A, 32 pts).

Mr. Daniel Leavens from Robert Morris headed to the ECHL with 49 points (14G, 35A, 49 pts)

Just seemed very strange considering on paper he should have been given the opportunity. Anyone know the story, drop me a note if you wish to keep it on the hush as I am trying to figure things out on how to navigate the next tier.

I do understand points are not the only measure of a player, size comes into play (Mr. Leavens is the tallest of the three) as well as intangibles like potential or making other players around them better to name just a few. I do think Mr. Leavens was deserving enough and will progress further in time, just thought he is deserving of a different path considering.

We all have differing views on who is the best player and it is very subjective, to me it was Justin Danforth he really was a treat to watch even though statistics wise he was the lowest point overall of the three. Again we all have differing opinions, life would be boring if we didn't. I congratulate all the players mentioned, and all our best in representing Atlantic Hockey and helping pave the path for future prospects.
            Last edited by Blitz; 04-26-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
              Hopefully we have some Robert Morris fans in the forum who I can bounce a question off.

When I see the seniors who have decided to move on to try their wares at the Pro level, I notice that Mr. Daniel Levens from Robert Morris with 49 points (14G, 35A, 49 pts) signed with Wheeling of the ECHL. My question is it seems strange that he didn't get the opportunity out of the box to head to the AHL seeing he is highly skilled and had the stats to back that up?

Mr. Max French from Bentley took the opportunity to head AHL, stat wise with 39 points (17G, 32A, 39 pts).
              Mr. Justin Danforth from Sacred Heart took the opportunity to head AHL, stat wise with 32 points (10G, 22A, 32 pts).

Mr. Daniel Leavens from Robert Morris headed to the ECHL with 49 points (14G, 35A, 49 pts)

Just seemed very strange considering on paper he should have been given the opportunity. Anyone know the story, drop me a note if you wish to keep it on the hush as I am trying to figure things out on how to navigate the next tier.

I do understand points are not the only measure of a player, size comes into play (Mr. Leavens is the tallest of the three) as well as intangibles like potential or making other players around them better to name just a few. I do think Mr. Leavens was deserving enough and will progress further in time, just thought he is deserving of a different path considering.

We all have differing views on who is the best player and it is very subjective, to me it was Justin Danforth he really was a treat to watch even though statistics wise he was the lowest point overall of the three. Again we all have differing opinions, life would be boring if we didn't. I congratulate all the players mentioned, and all our best in representing Atlantic Hockey and helping pave the path for future prospects.
              I think Leavens might have benefitted from being on that incredibly talented top line at RMU (Brady Ferguson, Alex Tonge) which padded his stats a little bit. French had a similar situation last year with Andrew Gladiuk and Kyle Schmidt, where he put up 47 points in 32 games. I can only speak for French, but he didn't really find a solid line throughout the whole season and he drew a lot of attention from defenders (being one of the most accomplished and talented players coming into the year), which didn't help his stats. He also has a lot of intangibles, Max is an incredible leader and teammate and is truly one of the nicest human beings around. That said, French didn't see a minute of ice time in his stint with the Utica Comets this season, but they kept him on the roster on his ATO so who really knows what their plans for him are/were. Next season should be more telling as to how this years players turn out in the pros. I also know Max has had a few prestigious internships over the last couple of years and is a very good student, so I could see him skipping a pro career and joining the work force.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                I think Leavens might have benefitted from being on that incredibly talented top line at RMU (Brady Ferguson, Alex Tonge) which padded his stats a little bit. French had a similar situation last year with Andrew Gladiuk and Kyle Schmidt, where he put up 47 points in 32 games. I can only speak for French, but he didn't really find a solid line throughout the whole season and he drew a lot of attention from defenders (being one of the most accomplished and talented players coming into the year), which didn't help his stats. He also has a lot of intangibles, Max is an incredible leader and teammate and is truly one of the nicest human beings around. That said, French didn't see a minute of ice time in his stint with the Utica Comets this season, but they kept him on the roster on his ATO so who really knows what their plans for him are/were. Next season should be more telling as to how this years players turn out in the pros. I also know Max has had a few prestigious internships over the last couple of years and is a very good student, so I could see him skipping a pro career and joining the work force.
                A pro [hockey] career is not "joining the work force"? Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that you are spot on about French's top line this past season, which commonly included two freshmen. I did not mind this strategy, as having Schmidt, MacDonald, and Callin on the second line gave Bentley two lines that could score, which the team has missed for a few years now. Keep an eye open for FS23's Greatest Teams thread, which gets underway soon. I do not expect Bentley to climb out of their 59th ranking after a losing season, but I think that there is hope moving forward if the Falcons can get back to the tournament in Rochester.

Comment

So now that the Holy Cross Women are officially joining Hockey East, how long before the "Holy Cross (men) to replace Notre Dame in HEA" talk resumes?
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    So now that the Holy Cross Women are officially joining Hockey East, how long before the "Holy Cross (men) to replace Notre Dame in HEA" talk resumes?
                    Starts now.

If and when that happens you have to wonder what Atlantic Hockey will do? First UConn and then HC? Maybe it will force the ECAC to shed the Ivies and take all the Atlantic Hockey teams and have two eight team divisions.

Don't think the ECAC wants to lose the Ivies though.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                      It might happen, but there are issues with the DCU Center that need to be worked out. See my story here: http://www.uscho.com/2017/05/02/holy...s-speculation/
                      "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                        Starts now.

If and when that happens you have to wonder what Atlantic Hockey will do? First UConn and then HC? Maybe it will force the ECAC to shed the Ivies and take all the Atlantic Hockey teams and have two eight team divisions.

Don't think the ECAC wants to lose the Ivies though.
                        Just keep the AHC at 10 teams if someone leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Just keep the AHC at 10 teams if someone leaves.
                          Exactly. There is nothing wrong with a 10 team league. And it beats dealing with an odd number of teams.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Exactly. There is nothing wrong with a 10 team league. And it beats dealing with an odd number of teams.
                            Agree with both you and Snively, of course staying with ten teams is the most logical solution and no one likes the uneven scheduling in an eleven team league. Just speculating out loud that's all. So with a ten team league does every team get into the playoffs with two teams getting byes or do the bottom two miss the playoffs?
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I would like to see bottom 2 out of the playoffs, but we will likely see them go with every team makes the playoffs.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                                I would like to see bottom 2 out of the playoffs, but we will likely see them go with every team makes the playoffs.
                                Agree. See UNH threads for the abbreviation coined by Chuck Murray that applies to this philosophy in HEA: MBPBEGAM round.

Comment

Working...
                                X