Hults named team MVP at Soo Blue Liners Banquet
    http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h..._award_winners
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      Hults named team MVP at Soo Blue Liners Banquet
      http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h..._award_winners
      One important thing for people to remember, as the look at the award winners, is that all but the Jim Howie Unsung Hero (Jim Howie chooses the winner) and the Blueliners award (chosen by the membership at large), all the awards are chosen by the players.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Goaltending is going to be a huge question mark next season. I have faith in Kossoff, but what happens if he gets hurt? Will the backups be good enough?

Comment

Looks like we've added another D-man for next season:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=353791

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Looks like we've added another D-man for next season:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=353791
            I had heard another D-man had committed, but I didn't hear any names. Thanks for the update Bill.
            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

I don't have faith in Kossoff . He probably needed more playing time last season and didn't get it . I hope he proves me wrong big time though .

Comment

The Hockey North Show, with veteran sportswriter and broadcaster of http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com and http://www.saultthisweek.com is on the radio tonite at 5 p.m. on Radio Station ESPN 1400. Randy will talk about the teams still playing, including former LSSU Laker standout Owen Headrick and the Erie Otters playoff run along with hockey, hockey and more hockey.

Comment

Best of luck to a class act, and a great lady, Kristen Dunbar.

Kris Dunbar has been selected as the seventh commissioner of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) following a nationwide search.

Dunbar arrives from Lake Superior State University following 24 years of service as a student-athlete, basketball coach and currently in her tenth year as director of athletics. Dunbar will step down from her position at LSSU at the end of April and take over commissioner duties on May 1.

“Kris Dunbar has the skills and abilities that make her a great fit for the GLIAC Commissioner position,” stated Saginaw Valley State University President and GLIAC Council of Presidents Chair, Dr. Donald J. Bachand. “She has demonstrated great vision and leadership ability as Director of Athletics at Lake Superior State. Her knowledge and history with the GLIAC will serve her well in the process of moving the GLIAC forward.”

Dunbar replaces Dell Robinson, who served as GLIAC Commissioner from 2009-10 through 2015-16. Prior to Robinson, the GLIAC was led by John Hoekje (1971-72 to 1978-79), Herbert “Pete” Peterson (1979-80 to 1984-85), Tom Donahue (1985-86 to 1986-87), Vern Norris (1987-88 to 1991-92) and Tom Brown (1992-93 to 2008-09).

“I would like to thank Dr. Don Bachand and the search committee for the opportunity to lead one of the most-prominent conferences in NCAA Division II,” Dunbar said. “I am humbled and honored to be the next GLIAC commissioner.”

Dunbar served five years (2011-15) on the NCAA Division II Management Council. During that time, she also served on the D2 Championships and Identity sub-committees. She has chaired both the GLIAC and Western Collegiate Hockey Association executive committees.

“The GLIAC will have a bit different look next year and we anticipate more changes in the future, but we will continue to be a viable, national-caliber conference like we have been for the past four decades,” Dunbar added. “I look forward to sharing ideas to bring growth, heightened regional and national leverage, and increased viability to the GLIAC.”

Dunbar is a Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., native who was inducted into the LSSU Sports Hall of Fame in the Fall of 2016. She was a four-year starting guard and three-year co-captain for the Lakers from 1988-92. During her eight-year stint (1998-06) as head women’s basketball coach and senior women’s administrator, Dunbar led the Lakers to a 154-72 record, including five straight 20-win seasons and five straight NCAA Tournament appearances. Dunbar was named GLIAC and Great Lakes Region Coach of the Year in 2002, and Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Michigan College Coach of the Year in 2003. She was also named the GLIAC’s top coach in 2005 after winning her fourth straight GLIAC North Division title. She led the Lakers to GLIAC Tournament titles in 2003 and ‘04. The Lakers reached the NCAA Midwest Regional finals in 2004.

“While we as athletic directors are all working on behalf of our schools, we ultimately want to make the GLIAC proud and bring national exposure to our conference. Every conference member plays an important role in making that happen. I plan to help them continue toward that goal," said Dunbar.

Dunbar earned a master’s degree in education from Elmira College in 1997 and served as an assistant coach at LSSU in 1997-98. Kris and her husband, Al, have two sons, Tyler and Jaylen. In 2011, Dunbar joined her father as a member of the Upper Peninsula Sports Hall of Fame.

Comment

Kris Dunbar to become next GLIAC Commissioner: http://lssulakers.com/genrel/Dunbar_GLIAC_Commissioner
                    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                      I had heard another D-man had committed, but I didn't hear any names. Thanks for the update Bill.
                      This should pretty much take care of D for next season. Assuming Roll doesn't come back, this should give us 8 D which is the number that is pretty standard for teams.

Comment

Looks like Jeff Jackson got Ryder Rolston.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                          Kris Dunbar to become next GLIAC Commissioner: http://lssulakers.com/genrel/Dunbar_GLIAC_Commissioner
                          Anyone hear who might be inline to become the next AD?
                          Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                            Anyone hear who might be inline to become the next AD?
                            I haven't heard anything. If they decide to stay in house, Steve Hettinga is assistant AD now. I suppose they could give him the dual role of AD and BB coach.

Comment

I wonder if the Lakers will play NMU 4 games in a row next season? I hope not.

Also any word if there will be any off-season Laker Hockey Talk shows this spring/summer like there was last year?

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                I wonder if the Lakers will play NMU 4 games in a row next season? I hope not.

Also any word if there will be any off-season Laker Hockey Talk shows this spring/summer like there was last year?
                                The four in a row was a quirk necessitated by the league chopping a week off the schedule. They will play 4 times, twice at NMU in league play and a non conference home & home series as well.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X