Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Hey, thanks for re-breaking our season....
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Hey, thanks for re-breaking our season....
      Sorry! We haven't swept you in a season in 32 years and someone mentioned we were due, so......

Comment

I'm glad Lavigne seemed to be OK. Stork coming in hot like that colliding with him was pretty uncalled for.
        I know he was thinking he may need to help the puck in but at the same time you have to consider a goalie is pretty defenseless to stuff like that.
        I was surprised all the Michigan players on the ice didn't converge on him to give him a "friendly" reminder.

Comment

Sorry! We haven't swept you in a season in 32 years and someone mentioned we were due, so......
          There is no such thing as being "due". You're actually pretty good this year and we suck for us.
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            There is no such thing as being "due". You're actually pretty good this year and we suck for us.
            If you didn't have so many top shelf guys go pro 2 years ago you no doubt would have been the dominate team in the conference last year and may well have continued into this season.
            At least you haven't waited for a national title as long as me, I've been waiting for Ohio State to get one since 1963 and who knows how much longer I have left to see it ever happen?
            Thankfully I do have a decent college team this season as some solace to how my Red Wings are doing!
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

If you didn't have so many top shelf guys go pro 2 years ago you no doubt would have been the dominate team in the conference last year and may well have continued into this season.
              At least you haven't waited for a national title as long as me, I've been waiting for Ohio State to get one since 1963 and who knows how much longer I have left to see it ever happen?
              Thankfully I do have a decent college team this season as some solace to how my Red Wings are doing!
              Thanks for the excuse but I don't see that as valid for two reasons: 1.) This is Michigan, it happens every year. We've been able to overcome that before, and 2.) That is just an excuse and not reality. Reality is that most top tier programs have that every year.

Comment

Red Berenson Named Hobey Baker "Legend of College Hockey"

January 30, 2018
                wshaver@hobeybaker.com

Red Berenson Named Hobey Baker “Legend of College Hockey”

St. Paul, Minn. – The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation is very pleased to announce its 2018 Legend of College Hockey recipient as Red Berenson. Widely recognized as one of the greatest college hockey coaches ever, Gordon “Red” Berenson completed 33 seasons as head coach of the Michigan Wolverines, retiring following the 2016-17 season.

Berenson took over a struggling Wolverine program in 1984 and built Michigan into a national powerhouse, sustaining that level of excellence for more than three decades. His teams made the NCAA national tournament 23 times in 27 years, including an NCAA record 22 consecutive years from 1991-2012. Playoff success included 11 trips to the Frozen Four championship, three trips to the national title game and NCAA championships in 1996 and 1998. Overall, in 1366 games under Berenson’s guidance, Michigan went 848-426-92 (.655), ranking Red fourth all-time in college hockey wins.

Conference achievements were equally successful during the Berenson era. In the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA), Michigan finished first or second 20 times in 23 seasons from 1991-2013. Michigan captured 11 CCHA regular season titles and nine CCHA playoff banners. In 2013-14, the Big Ten Conference formed their inaugural men’s hockey conference (B1G) and Red guided Michigan for the first four years in the new league before his retirement.

Coaching at Michigan for 33 years, only equates to just over half of his incredible hockey career. Raised in Regina, Saskatchewan, Red was recruited to play for the Wolverines and completed three highly successful seasons (freshmen were not allowed to play in that era.) He was an All American and team MVP his junior and senior seasons, leading the WCHA in scoring his senior season (1961-62) with 43 goals and 70 points, still Wolverine team records. Following his final college game, Berenson stepped right into the NHL with the Montreal Canadiens becoming the first college player to ever do so.

From there, an illustrious NHL career spanned 17 seasons between Montreal, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues. On Nov. 7 of 1968 while with St. Louis, Berenson scored an unbelievable six goals against Philadelphia, just one shy of an NHL record. It was the first time since 1944 a player had a six-goal game and has been replicated only once since then. Berenson also played in the legendary 1972 Summit Series, an eight-game series featuring Team Canada vs the Soviet Union. Red retired as a player after the 1977-78 season having played in 987 regular season games, garnering 261 goals and 658 points. He won two Stanley Cups while a member of Montreal in 1965 and 1966.

His next stop was behind the bench of the Blues as an assistant coach for the 1978-79 season, where he remained for a year and half before taking over head coaching duties during the 1979-80 season. The next season, he was NHL Coach of the Year, guiding the Blues to a 45-18-17 mark. Berenson then joined Scotty Bowman with the Buffalo Sabres for the 1982-83 season as an assistant coach and remained for two seasons, before accepting the head coaching job at Michigan in 1984.

Accolades have been plenty for Red. In addition to his NHL honors, Berenson has been inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame (along with entire 1972 Team Canada roster), CCHA Coach of the Year (1994, 2008), Big Ten Coach of the Year (2016), Spencer Penrose Award as college hockey National Coach of the Year (2008) and Lester Patrick Award for outstanding service to hockey in the U.S. (2006.) An expanded trophy case also includes University of Michigan Athletic Hall of Honor, Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, St. Louis Sports Hall of Fame and Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame.

Now 78 years of age, Red has remained on as a special advisor to the Director of Athletics at Michigan in his first year of “semi-retirement.” During his opening press conference at Michigan in 1984, Red said, "I'd like to improve the image of the Michigan hockey team on campus and with the alumni. I think that now people will be thinking more highly about the program." Without a doubt and 34 years later, mission accomplished.

Coach Berenson will be honored along with this year’s Hobey Baker Award winner at the annual Hobey Baker Award Banquet on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 in St. Paul, Minnesota. Banquet tickets are available by visiting the Hobey website at: hobeybaker.com.

Key Hobey Baker announcement dates for 2018 include:
                Top Ten list of candidates: March 14
                Hobey Hat Trick of three finalists: March 29
                Hobey Baker Award announcement: April 6

The 2018 Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced from a field of three Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Friday, April 6, 2018 during the NCAA Frozen Four Championship in St. Paul, MN. The award ceremony will be held at the legendary Roy Wilkens Auditorium in the St. Paul RiverCentre and will be broadcast nationally on NHL Network. For more info on the Hobey Baker Award or to access the Hobey logo, please visit www.hobeybaker.com.
                Get readers excited about your newsletter with a quick introduction that highlights your main topic, and let the rest of the email cover the details.

Comment

You can't call yourself a fan of college hockey without having respect for Red even though he coached a rival program.

Comment

Big games this weekend. A good opportunity to get some league points and stay with or move ahead of Penn State and move ahead of Wisconsin.

I think the results this weekend tell us if we are in the better half of the B1G or the lower half.

Is everyone excited for 90s night at Yost? I need to see if I can squeeze in to my old script Michigan jersey (which was huge on me when I was in college)
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

90's night? Wow, so we can wear are old 1991 jerseys tonight.

BTW, just got a note from the athletic department that parking will be a pain tonight- Men and Women's swimming & Diving as well as wrestling going on all just before the game. So they warn that parking will be tough. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        90's night? Wow, so we can wear are old 1991 jerseys tonight.

BTW, just got a note from the athletic department that parking will be a pain tonight- Men and Women's swimming & Diving as well as wrestling going on all just before the game. So they warn that parking will be tough. Yay.
                        Parking was not a problem, if you parked in Crisler and made the short walk.

Interesting game, Wisconsin really took it to Michigan the last half of the game, and Michigan took way too many penalties down the stretch. The game started chippy, and was feisty for most of the game. Michigan won in no small part due to the play of Levigne, he was really good (and Hughes really struggled tonight, lots of turnovers).

Good crowd tonight, was not quite 90's Yost loud, but the crows was good.

And was it me, or did Wisconsin players whine after every whistle to the refs? Not just the players, but Granato more then 3 or 4 times as well. Seemed liked they whined the entire game,
                        Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
                          Parking was not a problem, if you parked in Crisler and made the short walk.

Interesting game, Wisconsin really took it to Michigan the last half of the game, and Michigan took way too many penalties down the stretch. The game started chippy, and was feisty for most of the game. Michigan won in no small part due to the play of Levigne, he was really good (and Hughes really struggled tonight, lots of turnovers).

Good crowd tonight, was not quite 90's Yost loud, but the crows was good.

And was it me, or did Wisconsin players whine after every whistle to the refs? Not just the players, but Granato more then 3 or 4 times as well. Seemed liked they whined the entire game,
                          Much like the goofs, yes they were complaining too much after their goonery. The officials were far too noticable last night for both teams. My advice: stay out of the box- was the difference in the game aside from LaVigne stopping 37 shots, many grade A chances.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Much like the goofs, yes they were complaining too much after their goonery. The officials were far too noticable last night for both teams. My advice: stay out of the box- was the difference in the game aside from LaVigne stopping 37 shots, many grade A chances.
                            Someone must have peed in their cheerios. The whole game they were either chippy or whiny. Even when one of them skated over Lavigne after a frozen puck, he seemed to while about being tripped. After the goalie got the holding penalty and was in the ref's face, I was hoping he would push him, so that he got 10 for being a whiner. I'm kind of stunned that the refs just stood there and took it all night.

Our play was weird, up and down all night- they had some really goofy times with the puck in our zone and with the shots - it some good indicators that all was not well with our team. At times they looked really tired.

Thankfully, the mental game that Wisco was playing seemed to get into their goalie the most, who had 3 identical goals scored against him- over his right shoulder. And the one kind of bad goal that Hayden let in (the first one) did the opposite- his mental play was right there most of the rest of the night.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              Big games this weekend. A good opportunity to get some league points and stay with or move ahead of Penn State and move ahead of Wisconsin.

I think the results this weekend tell us if we are in the better half of the B1G or the lower half.

Is everyone excited for 90s night at Yost? I need to see if I can squeeze in to my old script Michigan jersey (which was huge on me when I was in college)
                              I still wear my Maize script Michigan jersey. Yes mine fits a tad snugger now too.

Comment

You can't call yourself a fan of college hockey without having respect for Red even though he coached a rival program.
                                So that supports my thought that sparty has no college hockey fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X