This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    how exactly is being the tenth best league in the world in a sport where the other leagues have about a 100 year head start mean they suck? Granted, I find it hard to believe anyone would currently rank MLS above Liga MX and they didn't make that list...
    Yeah no Liga MX or J-League or K-League makes me suspicious.

Problem with ranking leagues worldwide is once get past France (about 4th or 5th) it gets really complicated. And if you break it downpast just leagues themselves it gets really messy, because there are teams in Serie A and La Liga that'd struggle in a lot of other leagues.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I never said they sucked. Timbers fan here, and nobody's tarnishing that trophy.

But we're not going to be a Real Boy until the teams are completely independently owned and operated. I have no idea whether it's anywhere close to being there -- my understanding is the risk is too many owners would just put a sh-t product out there and the league would contract to the point of folding.
      Ya know, I have heard things like this for many years and my only response is "gee, it seems to be working out a heck of a lot better than efforts in the past."

I'd really love for the single entity structure to go but it has allowed plenty of others to invest in the league and bring soccer to a level in this country many of us never thought possible.

And you're a Timbers fan? JFC you really have no taste.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

In today's WaPo

Turner, Univision acquire Champions League rights for reported $100 million
        By Marissa Payne
        February 24 at 5:09 PM

Consider it a score for UEFA.

On Friday afternoon, European soccer’s governing body reportedly landed its biggest U.S. television deal ever when Turner Sports and Univision combined to agree to pay nearly $100 million per year for three years to air Champions League games in English and Spanish.

“Turner, which has not carried soccer programming of any kind for at least 27 years, was a surprise bidder and aggressively committed more than $60 million per year as part of a three-year deal that runs through the spring of 2021, largely taking over a package that Fox Sports has held for nine years,” Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand reported on Friday. “Turner will be joined by Univision, which agreed to pay around $35 million per year for the Spanish-language rights, giving UEFA a haul of close to $100 million per year for the U.S. rights to the annual soccer tournament.”

World Soccer Talk’s Christopher Harris reported the same figures on Friday, describing the bidding process “very competitive.”

While there are conflicting reports as to whether ESPN made a bid (Ourand’s sources said no, while Harris’s said yes), both reports said Fox Sports, which currently pays around $50 million per year for both the English- and Spanish-language rights made a bid, but fell short.

Ourand adds NBC, as well as BAMTech, the technology company spun off from MLB Advanced Media, also submitted bids.

No company would go on record to discuss the bidding process.

Turner Sports, Univision and UEFA also did not offer any comment on Friday.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Seattle wants to sign Keisuke Honda but their owner says he's staying put except their ownership situation is a mess.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Absolutely gutted
            https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

For what is supposed to be the premier event in Women's Soccer, the SheBelieves Cup (JFC who came up with that name?) is rather dull and boring.

And this is USA v Germany, literally #1 v #2 in the world.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Coming soon: San Diego Bad Hombres?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I'm partial to Footy McFooty Face
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Downpour in Portland. That's annoying.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Downpour in Portland. That's annoying.
                      Giving up 5 goals even more so I bet.

That said, I swear Fenendo Adi is the Garbage Time Goal King, I've never seen him score a goal when the outcome wasn't in doubt. It's hilarious to watch all the commentators fawn over him.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Giving up 5 goals even more so I bet.

That said, I swear Fenendo Adi is the Garbage Time Goal King, I've never seen him score a goal when the outcome wasn't in doubt. It's hilarious to watch all the commentators fawn over him.
                        The final doesn't bother me. It was a 2-1, or 3-1 game. Those last 2 mean nothing to how the game was played.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

US women lose to England in the Awful Name Cup.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

The new Orlando stadium looks nice. It's a shame they can't use the standing end for USMNT games.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Ok, this was funny (probably NSFW).
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I laughed when I watched too, but I saw an interesting question online. Can you find that funny/ok and still be mad/upset/opposed to the Mexico goalkick chant which was clearly heard at Atlanta on Sunday?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X