Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Boy, I thought you Bentley guys were pretty reasonable about stuff a few weeks ago when RIT played Bentley, but WOW was that a bitter nasty assessment of things (not to mention somewhat misinformed).
    By your take on geography, it is clear that you are another provincial New Englander. I'll state it yet again for all of the provincial New England natives...
    WESTERN NEW YORK IS NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! It is approximately a 7 hour drive or less to more than half of the teams in D-I hockey. No, we don't have a program every half hour in any direction like in New England, but a couple hours here and there are not a big deal. Try getting out more. I know many of you think Albany is the gateway to the Wild Wild West, but it isn't. You folks would just want to hang yourselves if you had to live in the WCHA territory. Talk about road trips.
    Holy Cross as partner with Union??? That's no different than RIT-Cornell. Holy Cross is in Worcester, a good 2 - 2.5 hours from Schenectady. As was posted earlier, RIT and Cornell are less than two hours apart. If RIT took RPI's place they could partner with Cornell and let Colgate partner with Union. If they took Quinnipiac's place, I have no idea how that might work. Then HC would be the preferable geographic choice. Although HC doesn't fit as far as the college's academic profile (not knocking the quality, just the type of school it is).
    Humanoid does not speak for me on this one. I really like how the AHA was set up this past year. Three of the eastern pod teams played the western pod teams pretty tough this year, even if we came up short in the points total. I never really understood the quaint ECAC travel partner thing, and glad that the AHA does not need to worry about that.

If UConn bolts for HE, perhaps the AHA could pick up Alabama-Huntsville?

Comment

UConn would be able to recruit better than they do now as a HEA school, I think, and their inclusion would round-out the conference to 12 teams. (It makes sense to take them on the basis of geography, too.)

The AHA is pretty-much irrelevant on the national stage; I can understand why UConn and RIT want out. Sure, there's the AQ to be had -and RIT had a nice run a couple of years back- but their representative is usually one/done material.

If RIT were to join the ECAC, their stock would rise a little, but not all that significantly... And they'd have a much steeper climb to attain an invite to the NCAAs, too.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Btw, UConn was a founding member of the MAAC/AHA while Bentley joined later. UConn has one league championship to Bentley's none.
        Bentley and Mercyhurst joined one year after the league was founded. And the league championships is indeed one vs. zero. I hope these are not your prime examples of how the programs are different.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          The non-Ivy ECAC teams and the Ivies have, from what I know, maintained a pretty healthy partnership. As cool as it is to imagine an all-New York conference or to see the Ivies finally strike out on their own (with or without Penn and Columbia), I just don't see it happening any time soon.
          Just my opinion, but I have a feeling we're getting closer and closer to seeing a split within ECAC. I cant imagine the Ivy schools are that satisfied being associated with a hockey league as poorly run as the ECAC is, especially of late. Not to mention the Ivy League did just hire a marketing agency for the first time in conference history to promote Ivy athletics and to help produce sponsorship opportunities as well as provide other marketing functions, including social media, public relations and licensing. Also who knows, perhaps a seperate Ivy hockey conference would help encourage Penn to get their program going again and help grow the sport. I guess it all comes down to what the Ivy presidents feel is best for them, whether its staying put in the ECAC or going off on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
            Bentley and Mercyhurst joined one year after the league was founded. And the league championships is indeed one vs. zero. I hope these are not your prime examples of how the programs are different.
            Significant difference in buildings and one gives scholarships while the other does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              Wouldn't UConn be "traitors" if they left their current conference for a better one? I'd hate to see anyone file a law suit or something...
              Which speaks to the issue of the fact that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Currently UConn's AD is not chairing the AHA committee on how to recover from the defection of RIT, Air Force, and Niagara from the AHA to the remains of the CCHA; and the possibility of UConn moving is not coming out of the blue. UConn gave notice months ago that it was exploring options as did Holy Cross. And most in the college hockey community assumed that this would eventually happen anyway.

College hockey is a very small community. What goes around comes around.

Comment

It's a joke off of how BC was treated when they left Conference USA, err I mean the Big East

Maybe fellow Atlantic Hockey schools should launch a lawsuit, it's worked well for Yukon

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Gang

F the ECAC. Think local, like the following schools -- RIT, SLU, CCT, RPI, Union, Colgate (+ Canisius and Niagara) all in one big happy Empire.
                  The Terrible Puns thread is in the Café.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                    It's a joke off of how BC was treated when they left
                    When you act ethically, these things don't happen.

Comment

I'm relativly new to the "behind the scenes" of college hockey. Can someone explain the idea of travel partners for me? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by huskymike View Post
                        I'm relativly new to the "behind the scenes" of college hockey. Can someone explain the idea of travel partners for me? Thanks in advance.
                        Easy enough. The ECAC uses a travel partner system, where instead of one team travels to another for a weekend series, two teams travel to two different teams for a weekend. For example, let's say you have a league with teams A, B, C, and D. A and B are travel partners, while C and D are travel partners. One weekend, A and B travel to C and D. A will play C and B will play D the first night. The next night, the travel partners will switch. A will play D and B will play C. Later in the season, C and D will travel to A and B to do the same thing. At some point in the season, the travel partners (A and B, as well as C and D) will play a home/home series against each other, either in the same weekend or split across two different weeks.

The main reasoning behind it is to keep a balanced schedule, not only in terms of the number of times you play a team, but where you play them.

Comment

Lets say Team A and Team B are travel partners due to their geographic proximity, and Team C and Team D are travel partners due to their geographic proximity. Both travel partners tend to play home games on the same weekend, and away games on the same weekend.

On the first weekend, both Team A and Team B are playing home games, and Team C and Team D are playing road games. Their schedule might look like this:

Friday:
                          Team C at Team A
                          Team D at Team B
                          Saturday:
                          Team D at Team A
                          Team C at Team B

The next weekend, Teams A and B go on the road and this time Teams C and D both play at home. The schedule looks like this:

Friday:
                          Team A at Team C
                          Team B at Team D
                          Saturday:
                          Team B at Team C
                          Team A at Team D

Since Teams A and B are so close, Teams C and D save money on travel and lodging the weekend they go on the road, and Teams A and B save money when they have to visit Teams C and D.

Sorry if that's a little too complicated. I tried to simplify it as much as possible. The two sets of travel partners don't necessarily have to play each other in home and home in successive weekends, but over the course of the season each set of travel partners will travel to the other.
                          Last edited by KnightsOfTheRound; 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

The same two teams travel to away games every other weekend during the conference "season" .

Example- Yale and Brown are travel partners, they will travel for Friday and Saturday games against Qunnipiac and Princeton , who are also travel partners.

It is a system that is supposed to keep travel costs in check by having the two traveling schools head to the same general geographic area, in principle.

The ECAC travelling partners are
                            Yale-Brown
                            QU-Princeton
                            Harvard-Dartmouth
                            RPI-Union
                            SLU-Clarkson
                            Cornell-Colgate
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                              And ECAC fans want you too. Instantly would be the second biggest fan base in the league and it would give us an obvious tournament site.
                              Rochester is an obvious tournament site for the ECAC? I should think Syracuse would be more obvious (and Albany even moreso). Weren't people just complaining about how far west Rochester was?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Who says people aren't helpful on this message board, nice job guys.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X