Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I vote for this. Let's face it, she's going to Rodentsota, how smart is she really?
    It's a good thing you and a certain eastern poster are concerned about the choices she is making.

All I know is that she was at least smart enough to have not committed to the Whioux.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      And she would be a fool to burn a year of eligibility by starting mid-season with Minnesota.
      Frosty has a history of dusting off players in February for the playoff season. Right, Timothy?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        Frosty has a history of dusting off players in February for the playoff season. Right, Timothy?
        Kessel was a unique situation at the end of a college career, not a pre-college Olympic hopeful. So different circumstance - also, I don't think the NCAA even cleared her to play until then, right? She didn't have anymore runway (couldn't have played the next season without some sort of record medical redshirt ruling....)

On another note for Potomak, or any other Jan olympic cut, would they burn a full year scholly if they started playing in Jan? Effectively they might, because why would the coach give her a scholarship in her fifth year (which she would theoretically need to graduate) if she wasn't eligible to play.
        Last edited by HockeyEast33; 05-15-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
          Ya, that is where I got the idea from. UM will be floundering and she'll ride in on a white reindeer and save the day just like good old Kessel did.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Congratulations to the 9 Minnesota commits who were selected to the 2017 USA Development Camp. Going through the names it appears that all Gopher recruits who were eligible (2000-02 birth years) were selected:

Defense
            Gracie Ostertag (2000)
            Madeline Wethington (2000)
            Maggie Nicholson (2002)

Forwards
            Abigail Boreen (2000)
            Taylor Heise (2000)
            Sydney Shearon (2001)
            Addie Burton (2001)
            Abbey Murphy (2002)

Goalies
            Mikayla Pahl (2001)

Again, congrats to all, and have fun in Maine!

Note: Three other Minnesota commits (Crystalyn Hengler, Emily Oden and Catie Skaja - each with 1999 birth years and thus too old for this year's camp) are expected to join the Maroon & Gold in 2018. All were previous selections who went on to skate for the USA U18 National team.
            Last edited by D2D; 05-15-2017, 08:01 PM. Reason: Correcting Maggie Nicholson's birth year.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I vote for this. Let's face it, she's going to Rodentsota, how smart is she really?
              As smart as the Kessel kids were in choosing Minneapolis over Madison and now one with three Nattys and the other a Stanley Cup on their resumés.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Congratulations to the 9 Minnesota commits who were selected to the 2017 USA Development Camp. Going through the names it appears that all Gopher recruits who were eligible (2000-02 birth years) were selected:
                Not to pick, but the Nicholson girl is a 2002 birth year.

Comment

• This is a bit of a surprise!

http://www.theicegarden.com/2017/5/15/15643842/toronto-furies-all-star-forward-kelly-terry-announces-retirement-cwhl-minnesota-golden-gophers

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    Why would the Canada program select her for the centralization and then cut her loose in September? To help U Minnesota? Really? No way. They will carry her as a minimum as a hedge against injuries until December and she should be thrilled to be there. And she would be a fool to burn a year of eligibility by starting mid-season with Minnesota. The event you fear (December cut) is exactly what happened to Annie Pankowski in the last Olympic cycle and she played somewhere (Whitecaps maybe?) for the Jan-Mar timeframe and it appears to have worked out for her....what with her being on the team for real this time around.
                    because they have more sense than you and Team USA in 2014?
                    wouldn't keeping her as a hedge against injury be using her in the worst way?
                    "hey, you aren't good enough unless someone gets hurt. What you do if nobody gets hurt is your problem"
                    I never suggested she, or anyone in that situation join their college team half way through the year.

did it work out well for her?
                    didn't make the 2014 team
                    didn't play for the 2017 IHF team either

Comment

I can't stand it any longer, forgive me while I depart from hockey for a second:

Gopher softball not being seeded for the NCAA tourney (and going to Alabama with probably Florida in the next round no less) is not a run of the mill screw up by the NCAA.
                      It is a screw up and a hosing for the ages. A bracket blunder up with the biggest bracket blunders ever.

This podcast from a couple softball guys in California spend the first 40 minutes of the 60 minute podcast taking down the NCAA committee.
                      Check out a couple minutes:
                      https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/i...15_24_46-07_00

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                        I can't stand it any longer, forgive me while I depart from hockey for a second:

Gopher softball not being seeded for the NCAA tourney (and going to Alabama with probably Florida in the next round no less) is not a run of the mill screw up by the NCAA.
                        It is a screw up and a hosing for the ages. A bracket blunder up with the biggest bracket blunders ever.

This podcast from a couple softball guys in California spend the first 40 minutes of the 60 minute podcast taking down the NCAA committee.
                        Check out a couple minutes:
                        https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/i...15_24_46-07_00
                        Has the Gopher women's softball team ever gotten this much publicity? Nope...So maybe, it ain't that big a travesty, especially if they mount that big old chip on their shoulder and just win, baby.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                            The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.
                            Obviously, the schedule is undergoing tweeks with the demise of UND, which opened two weekends; and (obvious statement coming) trying to fill them is going to be difficult. I can't say what the schedule is yet, but they have filled one of the two schedule gaps with a non-conference opponent and have moved some conference games around perhaps to make another non-conference/exhibition series possible. So it's a work in progress which I'm sure will be ready sooner than later.
                            Needless to say, this will be a very different year. No Pannek and neither of the Pottys. SEVERAL individuals will have to step up and carry this team next season, but I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Has the Gopher women's softball team ever gotten this much publicity? Nope...So maybe, it ain't that big a travesty, especially if they mount that big old chip on their shoulder and just win, baby.
                              The problem is that in order to get out of just the regional they have to beat #1 FSU. They might do that though I wouldn't bet that way. If they do, than it is FSU that got the shaft. What I don't understand is how the NC$$ can claim they adhere to the RPI and then move MN from #11 to unseeded. The road would have been tough enough from the 11 spot but they had a shot at the super regional which would get more attention from prospective recruits than the Martian's decision to publicly disrespect them. Either abide by the RPI or admit the whole thing is fake & they do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                The problem is that in order to get out of just the regional they have to beat #1 FSU.
                                Wrong. To get out of the regional, they have to beat #16 Alabama. If they do that, to get out of the super regional, they likely would have to beat #1 Florida, not FSU.

What I don't understand is how the NC$$ can claim they adhere to the RPI and then move MN from #11 to unseeded.
                                The selection committee has never claimed that they adhere to RPI. Quite the contrary, they explicitly say that there is a list of things they look at besides RPI. Now, as I laid out in a different thread, they aren't transparent about exactly what metrics they use to measure the other things that they look at, and to the extent that it is apparent what they use, a lot of it is deeply stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X