X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    I don't care if they drop so far they have to play Sunday night the 26th. I just want to see team hockey and some offensive creativity.

BU Hockey: Nor'easter of Offense Needed
    +100

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      So Tater may very well be correct. Looks like Channel 5 at least (haven't seen 4) "changed" their forecast...it started sooner (we already have 4" here) and it will exit by Noon. Don't know how that will affect the scheduling...we'll see. I know the Bruins wanted to postpone last Thursday but the NHL forced them to play. The result was about 8,000 people in attendance. To me, if Tuesday is available, what's the rush in forcing them to play Monday? It will be a lot easier for the fans on Tuesday.

No. What we worry about is when this team is going to show signs of improvement. It doesn't matter where the games are played...this team has the "ability" to go on the road and win in Hockey East. It's not like they haven't played in all these venues. National tournament? Now that's another story, but we've been over that. IMO, I would rather sacrifice some early season games to evaluate what you have and find winning combinations, even if it means losing PWR points. Because the only thing that matters is playing well at the end of the year. Does that mean we won't finish in the Top 6 in the PWR? Yes. But what's the difference? This team is #3 now. Do you really think they are the third best team in the country?
      This team was rolling going into the break. That line up has not been seen since. You have won every single game with Diffley and Switzer both in the line up. Yet all DQ does is swap out the 6th D and act like that matters. The defense on this team is equally responsible for the lack of offense. There is zero fear of missing any time on this team no matter how badly you play. This is what you get when you have a coach more interested in appeasing NHL GM's than coaching BU hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        What the heck is a neutercane?
        It is what happens when the hockey team doesn't beat the Cane's Challenge!

It is a winter type of subtropical storm that gets it's energy similar to both a hurricane and a frontal system.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          back in mookie's day, mookie was walking up the hills of western pa (now he drives)
          Did the walk include a hot potato that kept you warm that you then ate for lunch?
          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

I'll agree Diffley deserves some ice time, unless there's something going on in practice/injury that we don't know about. Both Diffley and Switzer, no. They've played D at the same time three times, @UVM and Yale when Fabbro was at Canadian tryouts and the Union game. The first two games I remember them playing fine but nothing memorable, Yale is/was not a good team. Both were significantly overmatched by Union forwards. Of course Shane put one in against Union but that's not a contribution the coaching staff could reasonably count on with any regularity.

If you want to argue McAvoy needs to realize that he's played B-/B hockey of late, which isn't "bad" per se, but is capable of being one of the best D in the country then I'll agree with that 100%. I don't think that warrants him being benched in favor of Switzer or Diffley unless his play continues to regress. But he's gotta realize he's the best blueliner out there every night and he's gotta play like it, whether that means getting on the scoresheet himself, making a play in his own zone that springs one of his forwards into an offensive chance, or knocking an opposing forward down to get the team riled up. He doesn't wear a letter but he's the starting point guard and most important skater on the team, he's gotta play like it. B- play from him isn't enough to get us where we want to go.

A change I'd like to see is actually breaking up Fabbro and Hickey, their playing style is so similar that it's a redundant pairing. Perhaps matching one with Doyle and one with MacLeod/Diffley/Switzer might be worth a look.

Also the most recent weather reports have the snow ending in the very early afternoon tomorrow so Beanpot Tuesday might not be necessary.
            Last edited by brassbonanza; 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Sounds like the snow will end just early enough that they won't cancel it, but late enough to 100% maximize the pain in the ***** of getting iinto the game. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                I'll agree Diffley deserves some ice time, unless there's something going on in practice/injury that we don't know about. Both Diffley and Switzer, no. They've played D at the same time three times, @UVM and Yale when Fabbro was at Canadian tryouts and the Union game. The first two games I remember them playing fine but nothing memorable, Yale is/was not a good team. Both were significantly overmatched by Union forwards. Of course Shane put one in against Union but that's not a contribution the coaching staff could reasonably count on with any regularity.

If you want to argue McAvoy needs to realize that he's played B-/B hockey of late, which isn't "bad" per se, but is capable of being one of the best D in the country then I'll agree with that 100%. I don't think that warrants him being benched in favor of Switzer or Diffley unless his play continues to regress. But he's gotta realize he's the best blueliner out there every night and he's gotta play like it, whether that means getting on the scoresheet himself, making a play in his own zone that springs one of his forwards into an offensive chance, or knocking an opposing forward down to get the team riled up. He doesn't wear a letter but he's the starting point guard and most important skater on the team, he's gotta play like it. B- play from him isn't enough to get us where we want to go.

A change I'd like to see is actually breaking up Fabbro and Hickey, their playing style is so similar that it's a redundant pairing. Perhaps matching one with Doyle and one with MacLeod/Diffley/Switzer might be worth a look.

Also the most recent weather reports have the snow ending in the very early afternoon tomorrow so Beanpot Tuesday might not be necessary.
                Wow...where to begin with this fantasyland of hockey nonsense

First off thank you for making my point BU is undefeated and averages 5 goals a game with them in the line up...didn't say they played together.
                They both played extremely well against Vermont in fact BU ran 4 D for a significant amount of the game because Krys/McAvoy were a breakaway machine

Now Yale is a bad team?....as opposed to Umass?..Maine?..Merrimack?...what a joke

And again with the phantom breakdowns against Union...rewatched the game and not in any way shape or form was Switzer overmatched....the goals were a result not taking sticks in front(MacLeod)...and terrible reads on the PK(Hickey)....you must have been watching the Trump version of that game.

As for the coaches not being able to count on offense from someone who just scored 3 goals in 4 periods....who you counting on?the guys with 3 in 30 games?...or maybe the guy with 1 in 84 games...if you did one ounce of homework you would see the kid has been an elite scorer at every level...but don't play him and find out....laughable

McAvoy is an elite talent but the play does not match the hype...he is not an elite offensive player or puck mover...he is an impressive puck lugger.He is physical but often times gets himself out of position trying to make a big hit He is one of the major reasons BU's PP is so dreadful. There has been little development from year 1 to year 2.

The truth is my friend is that nothing changes with this coaching staff nor will it....the only way one of the top 5 d comes out is for injury...otherwise you are getting a call from an angry NHL GM and we can't have that.
                Last edited by BUtogether; 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

interesting fact
                  18 league games 47 goals- a little over 2,5 goals a game
                  11 non league games- 42 goals- almost 4 a game-
                  And we played a very competitive non-league schedule

Playing Keller and Bellows tomorrow is certainly an improvement over Andren and McDermott

Comment

Came for a Beanpot snow update, stayed for the Switzer BJ's

Riddle me this. If Quinn is coaching to appease NHL teams how do you explain Bellows riding the pine?
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Came for a Beanpot snow update, stayed for the Switzer BJ's

Riddle me this. If Quinn is coaching to appease NHL teams how do you explain Bellows riding the pine?
                      Seriously...he's been so atrocious you can't even hide him...if he wasn't an NHL draft pick he would be getting the Udall treatment

And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid who scored 3 goals in 4 periods after watching this offensive juggernaut the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post

And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid who scored 3 goals in 4 periods after watching this offensive juggernaut the last few weeks.
                        Quoted for posterity sake
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015
                        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                          Seriously...he's been so atrocious you can't even hide him...if he wasn't an NHL draft pick he would be getting the Udall treatment

So he got hot and had some good bounces for 4 periods.
                          I had 5 A's in 2 semesters - my junior year.

Is it sustainable? Doubtful

We don't know what goes on in practice and how the boys look.

Don't get me wrong, Quinn being a serial line changer annoys the heck out of me, but then again how many of us here have been coaching in some capacity for the better part of two decades...
                          Last edited by Rhett Hot; 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rhett Hot;6442640]So he got hot and had some good bounces for 4 periods.
                            I had 5 A's in 2 semesters - my junior year.

Is it sustainable? Doubtful

We don't know what goes on in practice and how the boys look.

Don't get me wrong, Quinn being a serial line changer annoys the heck out of me, but then again how many of us here have been coaching in some capacity for the better part of two decades...[/QUOTE

We will never know if it's sustainable because he will not be given the chance barring injury...good bounces would be McAvoy goals ..dribble to him at the side of the net or bounce off his ***...keep enjoying 2 goals a game and hope for shorty's....the tired old bit....practice...good god....whatever is going on in practice ain't putting pucks in the net during games.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              Quoted for posterity sake
                              And the slime emerges for the c**phole...

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                                interesting fact
                                18 league games 47 goals- a little over 2,5 goals a game
                                11 non league games- 42 goals- almost 4 a game-
                                And we played a very competitive non-league schedule

Playing Keller and Bellows tomorrow is certainly an improvement over Andren and McDermott
                                Numbers mean nothing to the wizards in this forum...Twiiter and the NHL say otherwise ...Bellows is an improvement over nobody

Comment

Working...
                                X