Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    God, it must be so nice to have options. How about the people too poor to move? Or those that can't just pick up their life, find a new job, and move?

But yeah, **** 'em
    Nice city planning. Government basically set them up to fail.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Nice city planning. Government basically set them up to fail.
      Any city along water is a candidate for a flooding. New York City drowned in Sandy - and the infrastructure is still not 100%. New Orleans is a ticking time bomb. Miami, Tampa Bay, Charleston (which floods every time there is a heavy rain), the East Coast resorts.

Cincinnati drowned in 1937 and Elmira and Harrisburg drowned after Agnes in 1972.

The left coast has to deal with the Ring of Fire and earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis. San Francisco was rebuilt after 1906.

Heck, London used to flood if there was a storm surge up the Thames.

People still live there - nobody's permanently closed a major city because of a disaster since Port Royal sunk way back when.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

The entire north metro of the twin cites is a flood plain.

I would die laughing if scooby lives in the north metro.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The entire north metro of the twin cites is a flood plain.

I would die laughing if scooby lives in the north metro.
          Nope.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Any city along water is a candidate for a flooding. New York City drowned in Sandy - and the infrastructure is still not 100%. New Orleans is a ticking time bomb. Miami, Tampa Bay, Charleston (which floods every time there is a heavy rain), the East Coast resorts.

Cincinnati drowned in 1937 and Elmira and Harrisburg drowned after Agnes in 1972.

The left coast has to deal with the Ring of Fire and earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis. San Francisco was rebuilt after 1906.

People still live there - nobody's permanently closed a major city because of a disaster since Port Royal sunk way back when.
            Again, misses the point. Houston has done as little as possible to mitigate flooding. That's the point. Always has been.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Nope.
              Well...?
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

So therefore it's ok not to spend money on disaster preparedness? Typical Republican, penny wise and pound foolish.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  So therefore it's ok not to spend money on disaster preparedness? Typical Republican, penny wise and pound foolish.
                  No. Please don't put words in my mouth. It's a cost/benefit analysis. You plan for what is likely + some factor. If there is a catastrophe, you break the glass on the OH THIT file and try to mitigate the damage. After it's all over, you clean up and rebuild.

In London's case, they got tired of the floods and built flood gates in the Thames. Galveston built a seawall. What the SE Texas coast does in the wake of Harvey will be up to the voters and the politicians.

However, when disaster strikes, some folks fold like an accordion, while others rise to the occasion. You just hope there's more of the latter.
                  Last edited by joecct; 08-31-2017, 10:53 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's a once in a 1,000 years event. You don't plan for that. ****ing Lief Erickson was just hitting North America 1,000 years ago.

Are we all going to ***** when the entire San Andreas fault ruptures and liquifies 750 miles of ground when the 9.5+ hits? Or when NYC gets hit with some mega catastrophe?

We have a city of 6 million that needs to be rebuilt in a far more intelligent way. Almost all of us agree on that. But this heartless reaction I'm seeing is pretty sad.

The cost of preparing for all 1,000-year eventualities would spend us into the ground. I'm not even sure we consider those scenarios in doing analyses for chemical events unless it has truly catastrophic consequences. I'm going to have to ask our experts on that tomorrow because I'm pretty sure we don't.
                    Code:

Comment

I say this with no implied criticism or point, but 1200 people have drowned in India, Bangladesh and Nepal this past week.

Comment

It's a once in a 1,000 years event. You don't plan for that. ****ing Lief Erickson was just hitting North America 1,000 years ago.
                        You want me to go through and repost all the times Houston did nothing when the could have done something? No one is saying there would not have been damage or flooding. However, I am saying they ignored and exacerbated the problem

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          I say this with no implied criticism or point, but 1200 people have drowned in India, Bangladesh and Nepal this past week.
                          3rd world vs. richest nation on Earth. Corporations here are sitting on 2 trillion right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            No. Please don't put words in my mouth. It's a cost/benefit analysis. You plan for what is likely + some factor. If there is a catastrophe, you break the glass on the OH THIT file and try to mitigate the damage. After it's all over, you clean up and rebuild.

In London's case, they got tired of the floods and built flood gates in the Thames. Galveston built a seawall. What the SE Texas coast does in the wake of Harvey will be up to the voters and the politicians.

However, when disaster strikes, some folks fold like an accordion, while others rise to the occasion. You just hope there's more of the latter.
                            And the point is Houston hasn't done nearly enough. They haven't even planned for "what is likely" let alone "what is likely + some factor."

I read somewhere, probably one of the links Scooby posted, that Houston is the most flood prone city in the country, even worse off than New Orleans, because at least New Orleans has pumps and levies. Houston had done next to nothing to mitigate any flood risk, and then exacerbated it by filling in wetlands and other natural flood barriers.
                            Last edited by unofan; 09-01-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Quebec offers food, clothing, electricians, and other aid to Texas. Texas Secretary of State declines, asks for prayers instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...rvey-1.4267387

Comment

Here's the latest from the NHC.

Comment

Working...
                                X