X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    I too wish the electorate on the left were as reliable as the electorate on the right. It's a problem. But I'm still not happy that Republicans are being allowed to exploit it for their further advantage.
    Neither am I. I just can't get past thinking about images of blacks trying to register and also vote in the deep south in the 60's and compare it to people who can't be bothered to vote in any election for anybody. Unlike some Gooper sabotage this one is easily defeated with a minimal of effort. What's next, a law that we have to ring their doorbell with a ballot and guide their hand over it to get them to vote? Enough's enough already. Anybody too stupid to see the Republican party for what it is gets what they deserve. Its long past time to stop revering the "both sides are just as bad so I don't vote" crowd and instead hold them up for the ridicule they richly deserve.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The whole story is, why does Minneapolis boot voters off the registration list after 4 years when according to everyone here there is no point to doing so?
      If you have same day registration, the problems are mitigated because a person wrongfully taken off the rolls has a way to still vote.

Ohio, and most other states, do not have that safeguard.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        You and Scooby act like same day registration is the only way that allows people to actually vote. Very few states allow same day registration, yet millions of people around the country vote in every election. How is that possible? Might it be that they don't actually wait until the last farking day to register?
        Most states don't remove you from the voting rolls based on a single notice sent to you 4 years earlier, either.

Comment

Colleague today told mookie that if you don’t vote in turkey you get a fine.

Would that be ok here? (Whether true or not, not checking. But in theory)
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Just stop. No one’s right to vote has been taken away. That’s like saying that an 18 year old, or someone who moves, or someone who changes their name has had their right taken from them. It’s still there.

It’s illogical to think states have to keep you on the registration rolls in perpetuity, so all we are really debating is how long should they wait.
            Why is it illogical? It doesnt affect anyone to keep people on the rolls. This is a solution in search of a problem and the byproduct of it is that some people who dont know they are getting thrown off will get thrown off.

I guess I figured since you were a conservative you would err on the side of caution. Silly me...
            Last edited by Handyman; 06-12-2018, 10:37 AM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              If you have same day registration, the problems are mitigated because a person wrongfully taken off the rolls has a way to still vote.

Ohio, and most other states, do not have that safeguard.
              Keep your illogical facts out of here
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Colleague today told mookie that if you don’t vote in turkey you get a fine.

Would that be ok here? (Whether true or not, not checking. But in theory)
                Various nations have that same law. I don't like it because choosing not to vote is still a vote. It's just a bad one.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Most states don't remove you from the voting rolls based on a single notice sent to you 4 years earlier, either.
                  Is it that though, or is it that + you didn't vote in the next two elections as well?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Rover: Bernie bros need to stop being lazy and vote
                    also Rover: Making it harder to vote isn't a big deal they should've been less lazy in the past even if they're actively trying to be better about that now

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    You and Scooby act like same day registration is the only way that allows people to actually vote. Very few states allow same day registration, yet millions of people around the country vote in every election. How is that possible? Might it be that they don't actually wait until the last farking day to register?
                    So if you don't get the mailing telling you when to do it and assume that you should be able to vote on voting day, seeing as it's a constitutional right, well ya shoulda just known better and been less lazy! **** outta here with this garbage, we all know why it's being done.
                    Last edited by trixR4kids; 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Is it that though, or is it that + you didn't vote in the next two elections as well?
                      It's technically the latter, but that doesn't make it better. Ohio should at least send a second notice that it has actually removed you from the rolls. (And maybe they do, but nothing I've seen references any notice besides the 2-year one). Because can you tell me what mail you received 4 years ago? Plus there is no guarantee the voter even received that first notice.

If I tried to evict you from your house for non payment of property taxes, I can't just rely on you having gotten your tax bill a year earlier. There are multiple notices required.

Yet somehow a single one is sufficient to remove someone's ability to vote?
                      Last edited by unofan; 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

It's technically the latter, but that doesn't make it better. Ohio should at least send a second notice that it has actually removed you from the rolls. (And maybe they do, but nothing I've seen references any notice besides the 2-year one). Because can you tell me what mail you received 4 years ago? Plus there is no guarantee the voter even received that first notice.

If I tried to evict you from your house for non payment of property taxes, I can't just rely on you having gotten your tax bill a year earlier. There are multiple notices required.

Yet somehow a single one is sufficient to remove someone's ability to vote?
                        This is more like you didn't pay your property taxes for three consecutive years, and I send you a notice after the 1st year to pay up. You should have the horse sense to realize that they'll be consequences for not paying your taxes, even though you only received one notice.

Trix, I appreciate your persecution complex but I have no idea if the lazy voters of Ohio are Bernouts, Conservadems or survivalist loons. What I will say is anybody with a functioning brain cell should see the GOP and its members for what they are and act accordingly to oppose them at the ballot box. If you fail to do so then I have no sympathy if you get pushed off the voter rolls, as the solution to that problem is pretty simple (actually fuking voting once in awhile).

Comment

Leave out the part about Bernie and it still applies all the same. This is literally aimed at making it harder to vote, clearly is aimed at democrat party voters, and yet you don’t care but will whine ad nauseum about you know who losing which was partly due to things like this.

You can’t make this up.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Leave out the part about Bernie and it still applies all the same. This is literally aimed at making it harder to vote, clearly is aimed at democrat party voters, and yet you don’t care but will whine ad nauseum about you know who losing which was partly due to things like this.

You can’t make this up.
                            Then let them vote. Again, you want to help people who can't be bothered to do the minimum to help themselves. If these "democrat party voters" are sitting out every election, what exactly are we missing here? They can't find one race in 3 elections to cast a vote in?

The people you should be supporting are those that DO make an effort to vote but have to deal with the reduction of polling stations in their neighborhood and shifting acceptable ID standards right before the election. Instead you want to support lazy-a sses, which I suppose we shouldn't be surprised about. When, praytell, will these people bless us with their participation in an election. After 6 years? 12? 20? 50?

Comment

Who cares what they did in the past and why should it affect their ability to vote in the future? This is so stupid and entitled you'd have to have worked on Hillary's campaign to say it.

Comment

A party saying you have no choice but to vote for whatever sh-t sandwich they serve you, now be GRATEFUL to them for that privilege, has lost all three branches of government and hemorrhaged more than 1000 state leg seats.

Well I never.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X