Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Off- Season of Progress and Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Off- Season of Progress and Hope

First off and true to my word, I waited to post this until after the 2017-18 season is over, out of respect...congrats to UMD! They won the Ledyard Classic and the NCAA's, I would say that is quite the accomplishment!

BG surprised many, including the so-called pundits...the coaches and media who picked them to finish anywhere from 9th and worse. Way to prove them wrong as they finished 5th and lost to Harvard in a deciding 3rd game in the quarterfinals of the ECAC tournament. I knew they would do well as I think I picked them 6th; besides the only ones who matters are the coaches/players. That said, while that is good, BG cannot get "comfortable" as they have many good things to build on. So I say Lake Placid or bust next year! BG could do it but first things first and that means off-season training for the returning players (coaches included; strategy, game-planning, etc) and also incoming freshmen. More to come and GreenBear, please feel free to chime in!

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Off- Season of Progress and Hope

Looking forward to the release of the roster this summer so I can see who among the projected recruits will be in uniform in late October.

But we Big Green fans have every reason for optimism and a place at Lake Placid going into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
      Looking forward to the release of the roster this summer so I can see who among the projected recruits will be in uniform in late October.

But we Big Green fans have every reason for optimism and a place at Lake Placid going into the season.
      Agreed 100%! Now we start getting into the prospective roster:

Buffalo graduated so a freshman goalie will come on board
      Shoup and Rymsha on D = 2 D's although I believed they carried 9 last year and at least 8 were fighting for playing time
      Kalk and Neily as F = 2 F's although if rumored Carl Hesler takes one of those spots

Wish lists for those incoming coming next! Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

People I talked to were pretty solid on Carl Hesler returning. And little brother Sam is coming in from Wenatchee.

Goalie looks to be Justin Ferguson from Islanders. Just won the NCDC championship with them.

Interested in seeing Harrison Markell, who is 6'1, 195 right-handed blueliner. 21 years old so he's had seasoning in junior. Like Brendan Less, he was a USPHL all-star and I thought Less adjusted very well (and relatively quickly) to NCAA play. Hopefully Markell does as well, and can potentially be the one to take Rymsha's spot. Jack Cameron out of Nova Scotia is pretty highly regarded. Was looked at as a 3rd round QMJHL draft pick, but he'd committed to prep school so he went later. He was listed at 165, but saw him listed lately at 195 so maybe he hit the weights. He has an offensive upside which the team could use.

Forward: I am wondering if we see Christian Lesueur this year or next. He's a 99 so it could be either. Intrigued as to what he may be able to contribute if we see him in the fall.
        Last edited by GreenBear; 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

People I talked to were pretty solid on Carl Hesler returning. And little brother Sam is coming in from Wenatchee.

Goalie looks to be Justin Ferguson from Islanders. Just won the NCDC championship with them.

Interested in seeing Harrison Markell, who is 6'1, 195 right-handed blueliner. 21 years old so he's had seasoning in junior. Like Brendan Less, he was a USPHL all-star and I thought Less adjusted very well (and relatively quickly) to NCAA play. Hopefully Markell does as well, and can potentially be the one to take Rymsha's spot. Jack Cameron out of Nova Scotia is pretty highly regarded. Was looked at as a 3rd round QMJHL draft pick, but he'd committed to prep school so he went later. He was listed at 165, but saw him listed lately at 195 so maybe he hit the weights. He has an offensive upside which the team could use.

Forward: I am wondering if we see Christian Lesueur this year or next. He's a 99 so it could be either. Intrigued as to what he may be able to contribute if we see him in the fall.
          Well, again I hope you are right GreenBear about Carl Hesler...he would be the best player coming in or in his case coming back. There is another forward Cameron Smith, being a 97' he has to come in or mutually went elsewhere so that takes up another roster spot. Thus far including Sam Hesler that is three F roster spots being taken with only two graduated. As stated above, maybe they only bring in one D to balance out that number, assuming that is the number of roster spots they want. Interesting but yet again good decisions to have? GreenBear?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
            There is another forward Cameron Smith, being a 97' he has to come in or mutually went elsewhere so that takes up another roster spot.
            I think Cameron Smith plays for George Mason. 72 goals in 27 games in the ACHA. So he's obviously not getting a challenge in that league if he's averaging just under a hat trick per game, but since he's enrolled at George Mason, I doubt he's heading to Dartmouth. He's from the DC area, and must have decided to stay closer to home.

Comment

I think Cameron Smith plays for George Mason. 72 goals in 27 games in the ACHA. So he's obviously not getting a challenge in that league if he's averaging just under a hat trick per game, but since he's enrolled at George Mason, I doubt he's heading to Dartmouth. He's from the DC area, and must have decided to stay closer to home.
              Thanks GreenBear for sharing that insight! Now that opens a roster spot; is that going to be a F or D? Wish list is a F that can flat out "FINISH" is the most pressing need (aren't they all; I know I am stating the obvious), especially for a team challenged to score to begin with. One that can create his own shot when no apparent options are available and also will bury the ones from a nice pass! GreenBear?

Comment

Thanks GreenBear for sharing that insight! Now that opens a roster spot; is that going to be a F or D? Wish list is a F that can flat out "FINISH" is the most pressing need (aren't they all; I know I am stating the obvious), especially for a team challenged to score to begin with. One that can create his own shot when no apparent options are available and also will bury the ones from a nice pass! GreenBear?
                Getting back to what Turk181 has stated previously, Christian LeSueur might be that F although Turk181 last assessment of him was a bit disappointing. Hope he was just off his game! In addition to Sam Hesler, there are two other F's that are 98', Drew O' Connor and Jeffrey Losurdo and with Christian being a 99', it will be very interesting. Go for it now or diversify for later! Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

Getting back to what Turk181 has stated previously, Christian LeSueur might be that F although Turk181 last assessment of him was a bit disappointing. Hope he was just off his game! In addition to Sam Hesler, there are two other F's that are 98', Drew O' Connor and Jeffrey Losurdo and with Christian being a 99', it will be very interesting. Go for it now or diversify for later! Thoughts GreenBear?
                  I don't know enough about O'Connor and Losurdo to comment. I do think LeSueur could be an effective player if he comes in this year. He won't have to play top line minutes (I doubt anything happens to Sellar-Graber-Foreman as a combo) and may work well with Baker as his center. Good speed, good hands--may be able to put into Kalk's old spot. If so, adding Hesler in to the mix as well does wonders for the depth as now Dartmouth has quality in the middle in all 4 lines factoring in Kilistoff. Rutherford could very well move to a wing, and could contribute there no doubt.

I think this coming team may have very solid depth at forward.
                  Last edited by GreenBear; 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I don't know enough about O'Connor and Losurdo to comment. I do think LeSueur could be an effective player if he comes in this year. He won't have to play top line minutes (I doubt anything happens to Sellar-Graber-Foreman as a combo) and may work well with Baker as his center. Good speed, good hands--may be able to put into Kalk's old spot. If so, adding Hesler in to the mix as well does wonders for the depth as now Dartmouth has quality in the middle in all 4 lines factoring in Kilistoff. Rutherford could very well move to a wing, and could contribute there no doubt.

I think this coming team may have very solid depth at forward.
                    I would have to agree with you on the potential depth at F on this upcoming team, which breeds for good healthy competition which no players should get 'comfortable". While the "TREE line was quite the revelation and produced major results I am not quite "sold" on them as a trio. Like I mentioned earlier. Graber absolutely made that line as he had the puck on his stick the most to create. I do like Sellar as he brings a nice lunch bucket mentality and plays within his self/game. Forman kind of fizzled down the stretch and you saw when the TREE line was neutralized in the playoffs he was not the same player. It seemed to me that he was too big and lanky which did not help his hands and feet coordination. Based on last year's season, Forman certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt and should get every opportunity to complete that TREE line. Maybe try a Baker or even a little skill guy like Rutherford or LeSueur if he comes in if Forman falters. Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

I would have to agree with you on the potential depth at F on this upcoming team, which breeds for good healthy competition which no players should get 'comfortable". While the "TREE line was quite the revelation and produced major results I am not quite "sold" on them as a trio. Like I mentioned earlier. Graber absolutely made that line as he had the puck on his stick the most to create. I do like Sellar as he brings a nice lunch bucket mentality and plays within his self/game. Forman kind of fizzled down the stretch and you saw when the TREE line was neutralized in the playoffs he was not the same player. It seemed to me that he was too big and lanky which did not help his hands and feet coordination. Based on last year's season, Forman certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt and should get every opportunity to complete that TREE line. Maybe try a Baker or even a little skill guy like Rutherford or LeSueur if he comes in if Forman falters. Thoughts GreenBear?
                      Like I stated many times before, scoring has always been a premium for the BG! That said, while depth is always nice your top two lines must do the heavy lifting and score. As exemplified, by the Grind checking line of Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski. While they did great both O and D, they should not be relied upon to score as much as the top two lines. Rather it should be looked as a bonus especially when you factor in they are mostly likely matched up against the opponent's top line. Scoring has been difficult as most goals were the result of hard work and grinding it out. It would be nice to score some "easy" goals like off the rush or odd man situations to take the load of the team, goalie, and D core. Thoughts GreenBear? Potential line combos are next!

Comment

Like I stated many times before, scoring has always been a premium for the BG! That said, while depth is always nice your top two lines must do the heavy lifting and score. As exemplified, by the Grind checking line of Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski. While they did great both O and D, they should not be relied upon to score as much as the top two lines. Rather it should be looked as a bonus especially when you factor in they are mostly likely matched up against the opponent's top line. Scoring has been difficult as most goals were the result of hard work and grinding it out. It would be nice to score some "easy" goals like off the rush or odd man situations to take the load of the team, goalie, and D core. Thoughts GreenBear? Potential line combos are next!
                        Let's have some fun with this and potential line combos:

TREE line: Graber/Sellar/(Forman) although Baker, Rutherford, and/or LeSueur (if he comes in) would be candidates as well
                        Hesler/Jasiek/Rutherford: this would be the tiny skill line would Rutherford going out to wing for more time and space and Hesler being the F 3
                        GRIND checking line: Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski good is all situations especially responsible in D zone
                        Ernsting/Baker/Strong with Baker moving out to wing Also LeSueur (probably better suited for top 6) and McLaughlin and little Hesler

Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

Let's have some fun with this and potential line combos:

TREE line: Graber/Sellar/(Forman) although Baker, Rutherford, and/or LeSueur (if he comes in) would be candidates as well
                          Hesler/Jasiek/Rutherford: this would be the tiny skill line would Rutherford going out to wing for more time and space and Hesler being the F 3
                          GRIND checking line: Kilistoff/Warpecha/Michalowski good is all situations especially responsible in D zone
                          Ernsting/Baker/Strong with Baker moving out to wing Also LeSueur (probably better suited for top 6) and McLaughlin and little Hesler

Thoughts GreenBear?
                          Let's talk about the D core! Losing Shoup (all around game) and Rymsha (grit and sandpaper) will hurt but their talents and attributes are replaceable. Yau is the most experienced and probably the most rounded when combining skating, skill, puck moving, and decision making. Roth for some reason did not play much last year after having a good season the year before. Han made strides and was in and out of the line up but needs to shore up his D zone coverage. Dimaio just didn't play so hard to say. This brings us to Demler, Less, and Matthews. As a group, they had a solid freshman campaign getting lots of ice time with each bringing a different element to the game. Demler is big, powerful, and physical with sprinkled with a little nastiness. He needs to play it simple and maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Less (helped by being righty) was solid yet unspectacular which is very good trait as a D man. He possessed a good overall consistent game although he slipped a bit down the stretch. Matthews had an up and down season due to injuries but has an offensive side the others do not. He has to play smarter when making a play and not exposing his body to unnecessary and avoidable big hits if he wants to stay in the lineup health wise. He likes to get up ice so needs to be paired with a stay home D man. So the BG will need to bring in one if not two D's and right handed is possible. Stay tuned and thoughts Greenbear?

Comment

Let's talk about the D core! Losing Shoup (all around game) and Rymsha (grit and sandpaper) will hurt but their talents and attributes are replaceable. Yau is the most experienced and probably the most rounded when combining skating, skill, puck moving, and decision making. Roth for some reason did not play much last year after having a good season the year before. Han made strides and was in and out of the line up but needs to shore up his D zone coverage. Dimaio just didn't play so hard to say. This brings us to Demler, Less, and Matthews. As a group, they had a solid freshman campaign getting lots of ice time with each bringing a different element to the game. Demler is big, powerful, and physical with sprinkled with a little nastiness. He needs to play it simple and maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Less (helped by being righty) was solid yet unspectacular which is very good trait as a D man. He possessed a good overall consistent game although he slipped a bit down the stretch. Matthews had an up and down season due to injuries but has an offensive side the others do not. He has to play smarter when making a play and not exposing his body to unnecessary and avoidable big hits if he wants to stay in the lineup health wise. He likes to get up ice so needs to be paired with a stay home D man. So the BG will need to bring in one if not two D's and right handed is possible. Stay tuned and thoughts Greenbear?
                            So let's tinker with some possible D pairings:

Yau/Harrison (hopefully he is up to the task and Yau can mentor); Yau has played with Matthews, Less and Han last year and Roth two years ago
                            Matthews/Less lefty/righty combo with Matthews activating and Less watching the house
                            Demler/Han another lefty/righty combo with Demler being the brute and safe guard around the net and Han supporting or leading up ice play

If Roth can regain his game and confidence he would be an offensive D man and be in top 6. Dimaio didn't play so it is hard to say. The pairings above would lend itself to righty/lefty and O/D balance with sandpaper/finesse. All yours to chime in GreenBear? Where have you been?

Comment

I'm gonna wait until I see the final roster--as well as some of these new guys actually play--before jumping into lines and combos.

But I do believe that a good number--maybe even 4 or 5 current players--could possibly see themselves fighting to stay off the scratch list as we enter the season. And I think this is a good thing--if new guys are replacing guys already on the roster, it probably means those new guys are better, and that can only bring benefits for the team.

On another topic, my wish list is for the coaching staff to find a power play unit that can click. 11% last year. They were 16% the year before and that included an 0-for-57 start to the season, so it was very good after that: 26% the rest of the way.

I won't get greedy and expect 26% again: that would be top 5 in the NCAA. But 19% isn't too much to ask: right in the middle of the pack. Given the offensive talent the team has it's a reasonable expectation. But the top scorers didn't get it done on the PP last year: Graber, Sellar and Foreman had one power play goal all season, as did Kalk who was very good on the PP the previous 2 seasons. The leading returnee for PPG is Alex Jasiek, and while I am a big Jasiek fan, that shouldn't be the case--he can't be your leading power play scorer.

The PP could be a difference maker if they can get to that point. It was a difference maker last year I believe, just not in a good way: 1 for 22 in the postseason is just atrocious.
                              Last edited by GreenBear; 04-20-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X