Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Hughes is better...
    I think you missed my point......

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I think you missed my point......
      That was early for me and thankfully I went to both games against UMD and haven't had to endure Doug yet this year.

Comment

That was early for me and thankfully I went to both games against UMD and haven't had to endure Doug yet this year.
        Sorta like how good Bischoff was. He sometimes seemed like a stalwart defenseman, and sometimes like a speedy European style forward, sometimes seemingly like he was two places on the ice at once.......

Comment

Schierhorn had a comment that really caught my attention after the Gophers 7-1 win over U18 last Sat. When asked about U18s puck movement and whether they're difficult to defend against, he commented, "Oh yeah...they seem to always carry the puck into the offensive zone and control play. They hardly ever dump the puck in".

Unlike in previous seasons, it was great to see the Gophers FINALLY doing the same thing throughout the game. I saw very little dump and chase.

SOG and Gs were down last season partially due to playing it safe far too much (especially at the beginning of last season) with a dump/chase, forecheck and cycle system. I'm hoping Motzko continues to stress more controlled zone entry tactics vs. a safe dump and chase.

I posted a stat graphic in the offseason thread which indicated when a team carries the puck into the offensive zone, they produce twice as much offense per entry than if they dumped it in.

The major disadvantage of a 'dump and chase' tactic is giving up possession of the puck. Losing possession on a dump-and-chase play can be very problematic if you're playing an offensive system where players can get caught. For example, if you send two players deep (past the hashmarks) and one to the net and you lose possession, the opponent gets the chance for an odd-man rush going the other way because the forwards are caught out of the play once the opponent breaks out.

There are times when D & C is effective, especially during line changes, when a strong skater lacks stickhandling skills, or instead of going solo against the D.

But in terms of scoring, the controlled offensive zone entry is king.

Not convinced?? Here's another graphic:

The last row in the graphic "Rest of League" is the most valid stat as it's not just representing a handful of teams but that of the entire NHL.

Comment

I assume this filters out D&C when it’s not being used to generate offense?

I’m a big proponent of carrying a puck in, just to be clear.

Edit: and even if it doesn’t, it should be clear to everyone the takeaway. I think you’ve posted this a number of times on here. It’s really stark.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Can we pls add more games to the schedule? We get a good series against UMD and then the team practically takes the next month off - one good game, just one and a couple of exhibition games in a whole month. Either that or give us 60 degree weather.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I assume this filters out D&C when it’s not being used to generate offense?

I’m a big proponent of carrying a puck in, just to be clear.

Edit: and even if it doesn’t, it should be clear to everyone the takeaway. I think you’ve posted this a number of times on here. It’s really stark.
                Yeah, I listed a couple when not generating offense. Another one when generating offense is when a opposing team has a stellar defensive unit vs a mediocre offense. But even then, the Wild performed really well on SOG and Gs a few years ago with controlled zone entry (in the study I posted off season), but their offense still wasn't good enough, and for other reasons as well they missed the playoffs.

I commented on it early last season dx, but I posted a different graphic (a longitudinal study on 4 NHL teams) in the off season thread.

Last season, I heard Lucia (and players) talk about "getting pucks deep" or "getting pucks behind the D" as an offensive tactic fairly often. I liked the change I saw on Sat.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Can we pls add more games to the schedule? We get a good series against UMD and then the team practically takes the next month off - one good game, just one and a couple of exhibition games in a whole month. Either that or give us 60 degree weather.
                My understanding is the Gopher staff struggled with scheduling D1 teams for these two weeks. After thinking about it though, they have a chance to try some lines out and give guys more playing time together before they go to Vegas and curb stomp UND.
                Last edited by SteveO; 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  My understanding is the Gopher staff struggled with scheduling D1 teams for these two weeks. After thinking about it though, they have a chance to try some lines out and give guys more playing time together before they go to Vegas and curb stomp UND.
                  Yeah, but I'll have to check myself into the ER just waiting.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    I'm excited for the season to rev up too. I might get flamed for this, but this Gopher team will be the #1 team in the nation soon. Just a thought...

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Enjoy the fall while you can. For the first time I can ever think of you're going to have games EVERY weekend except Christmas break the rest of the way.

Comment

Enjoy the fall while you can. For the first time I can ever think of you're going to have games EVERY weekend except Christmas break the rest of the way.
                        Just hope the team doesn't get too fatigued (physical + mental) later in the season heading into playoffs.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Just hope the team doesn't get too fatigued (physical + mental) later in the season heading into playoffs.
                          One might say use the depth to rotate players through. But the problem is that when ploys are used...often teams lose it psychologially.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Gophers dominated in 7-1 win over Sparty 2.0, SOG UM 50/21 TW. Motzko played all three goalies with each taking a period. Puck possession time was off the charts. Third 7 goal game in row.

Vegas here we come!

Comment

Stub Hub tickets for the SOLD OUT UND/Gopher game: red line/$1250, blue line/$1000. This event has been in the works since 2015. A lot of fans (UND) were upset that they were deprived tickets. The demand was high, especially after the highly successful UND/BC game at Madison Square Garden last Dec. which sold out @ 11,348 tics.

Me thinks the game would have sold out anyway (with tics available for Gopher fans too ) much like MSG if they moved from the 7500 seat Orleans Arena to the new 17500 seat T-Mobile. Apparently most of the tickets for this U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game were snapped up during pre-sales for UND Champions Club members. Well, it is UND's shindig, so they can do what they want. But IMHO a change in venue would have opened it up to more fans and probably sold out with a huge profit margin, even though renting T-Mobile is substantially higher.

Some pretty cool pregame parties are planned: Friday, Saturday. Showing up donning a Gopher jersey amidst a sea of drunken Whioux fans is at best risky...if you know what I mean. I would do it though, but then again I've been training in martial arts for years.

Comment

Problem is, the breach of contract for moving it might have cost ND more money than it was worth.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X