Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Heater tape? Wrap it around the pipe in question and it keeps it from freezing.

Sounds like you need 2. Good luck!!!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Heater tape? Wrap it around the pipe in question and it keeps it from freezing.

Sounds like you need 2. Good luck!!!
      Sounds to me like the frozen hot water pipe isn't in the closet where the cold froze

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

That's my fear too, that it froze somewhere under the house right were it ducks back under the house. The crawlspace isn't too spacious at that point, so it's going to be difficult to get to.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I’m glad my water comes in well underground. Comes up through my basement floor. Buried quite deep.

Good luck man. I’ve seen blow torches used at work to unfreeze pipes.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            That's my fear too, that it froze somewhere under the house right were it ducks back under the house. The crawlspace isn't too spacious at that point, so it's going to be difficult to get to.
            It should be, if you had a space heater in there and cold thawed out and hot froze. It isnt frozen where space heater is

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I’m glad my water comes in well underground. Comes up through my basement floor. Buried quite deep.

A couple of winters ago our city requested that people leave some faucets running just a little during a deep cold spell (lasted about a month). They did not charge for additional water use. I guess it was their best defense against their own underground pipes freezing. Don't recall that ever being necessary before-here at least.

Comment

It’s amazing how much flow will do to prevent freezing. We had an above ground 8” pipe effectively gravity fed at work that we weren’t even going to insulate. 55 degree water flowing through it almost constantly. To freeze the pipe would have taken a major event.

In the end though we insulated and heat traced it just to satisfy a few people who didn’t trust the math.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Hot water works finally. (*knock on wood*, *rub a redhead*, *[insert good luck charm here]*)

Adjusted the existing heat tape cord, repositioned the space heater, and prayed the water closet stays warm enough tonight. Minus 16 predicted overnight, we're 20+ degrees below the average for this time of year.

Also, letting the faucets drip.

I didn't give any thought to letting the line drip NYE, as we were gone for a week over Christmas when this cold snap started and everything was fine. Years of living in the UP, so I'm aware of tricks I need to do, but a lot of these Chicagoland suburbs aren't built like homes in the UP.

I haven't seen a cold snap like this in Chicago since four years ago. That was before we bought our house, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

So far though, it looks like we're lucky this time. Gotta get through this next week.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Hot water works finally. (*knock on wood*, *rub a redhead*, *[insert good luck charm here]*)

Adjusted the existing heat tape cord, repositioned the space heater, and prayed the water closet stays warm enough tonight. Minus 16 predicted overnight, we're 20+ degrees below the average for this time of year.

Also, letting the faucets drip.

I didn't give any thought to letting the line drip NYE, as we were gone for a week over Christmas when this cold snap started and everything was fine. Years of living in the UP, so I'm aware of tricks I need to do, but a lot of these Chicagoland suburbs aren't built like homes in the UP.

I haven't seen a cold snap like this in Chicago since four years ago. That was before we bought our house, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

So far though, it looks like we're lucky this time. Gotta get through this next week.
                    As for MPLS, coldest week since 1886 or so. Yeah.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I've seen stick welders, both 220 plug and trailer mounted generator stick welders used. Just set 'em to the lowest setting.

No one in this area had one, or knew of anyone with one. Figured a quick half hour shot to the supply line this morning would have done the trick. Note to self, put "Lincoln Stick Welder" and "220 Service to the Garage" on the Christmas list next year.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        As for MPLS, coldest week since 1886 or so. Yeah.
                        I’m not sure I buy that. Source?
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I’m not sure I buy that. Source?
                          Tried to look it up, couldn't find the link I saw. According to the link the average temp was -3, as opposed to -3.6 in 1886, and 3rd place was -4.2, or close to that temp. Going by memory right now. I'm disappointed I can't link it.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I've seen stick welders, both 220 plug and trailer mounted generator stick welders used. Just set 'em to the lowest setting.

No one in this area had one, or knew of anyone with one. Figured a quick half hour shot to the supply line this morning would have done the trick. Note to self, put "Lincoln Stick Welder" and "220 Service to the Garage" on the Christmas list next year.
                            That works, used it on underground conduits before. But on house piping it causes fires also. Lot of liability. Good luck keep thawed out.
                            Coldest week here since early 70s. I don't remember a stretch this cold.

Comment

Something is happening along the East Coast midweek.

Last edited by joecct; 01-02-2018, 09:34 AM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Something is happening along the East Coast midweek.
                                Hadn't heard about snow, but the reports I saw were that temps would be from 20 to 30 degrees colder than normal on Thursday. Reston forecast has single digit lows for Thu-Sat and highs under 20 for Fri-Sat.

I assume this means it will be 80 below in central Maine.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X