Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

I went all in on the FIFA bracket challenge and picked England over Belgium.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I love that Deadspin refuses to go back on any take they have. They've talked for days about how it's better to lose the England-Belgium game back when it looked like you'd get either Senegal or Japan no matter the result. Now, despite Colombia taking first, they're still saying it was better to lose the game rather than get Japan in the opener, simply because the second round match-up is most likely Brazil.

Sure, Colombia then Switzerland/Sweden may not be the hardest road, but it's possible to end up with Japan and Mexico. And you still have to beat Colombia, who's a full ten points higher in SPI rankings than Japan.

Edit: Actually, looks like their original article also brought up the loser facing Colombia. So I guess it's just a bad take to begin with.
      Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        I love that Deadspin refuses to go back on any take they have. They've talked for days about how it's better to lose the England-Belgium game back when it looked like you'd get either Senegal or Japan no matter the result. Now, despite Colombia taking first, they're still saying it was better to lose the game rather than get Japan in the opener, simply because the second round match-up is most likely Brazil.

Sure, Colombia then Switzerland/Sweden may not be the hardest road, but it's possible to end up with Japan and Mexico. And you still have to beat Colombia, who's a full ten points higher in SPI rankings than Japan.
        I like Deadspin but Haisley is a cancer on the soccer coverage on that site and it affects the others. His article ripping into US Players calling out Landon Donovan because “the US-Mexico rivalry doesn’t matter” was utter nonsense.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I like Deadspin but Haisley is a cancer on the soccer coverage on that site and it affects the others. His article ripping into US Players calling out Landon Donovan because “the US-Mexico rivalry doesn’t matter” was utter nonsense.
          He got ripped on that one, which you know is bad because the commenters are generally 90% behind the writer and attack the dissenters. Same thing happened when Lauren Theisen wrote about how fair play was stupid as a tiebreaker and then offered no alternative. I think she's my least favorite writer on the entire site. There's just no substance to her articles.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I don’t think I want Sweden...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r...acket-2018.jpg
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

There's been some pushback on the fair play rule on social media. I highly doubt people would be happy if it had gone to drawing lots, though I haven't seen it before so that would've been kinda cool.

About the only other tiebreaker I've seen be mentioned is time leading. Not sure if it was just time spent in the lead or net time that would subtract if you're losing, but after that there's not much that's actually decided on the field to make into a tiebreaker.

Personally I don't mind the fair play. It's better than random chance with lots.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  There's been some pushback on the fair play rule on social media. I highly doubt people would be happy if it had gone to drawing lots, though I haven't seen it before so that would've been kinda cool.

About the only other tiebreaker I've seen be mentioned is time leading. Not sure if it was just time spent in the lead or net time that would subtract if you're losing, but after that there's not much that's actually decided on the field to make into a tiebreaker.

Personally I don't mind the fair play. It's better than random chance with lots.
                  THe best way is probably to have any game that ends in a draw in the group stage to go straight to penalty kicks to be used as a tiebreaker somewhere in the grand scheme of things....
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    THe best way is probably to have any game that ends in a draw in the group stage to go straight to penalty kicks to be used as a tiebreaker somewhere in the grand scheme of things....
                    Sounds like that's the plan for the 48 team cup so teams can't just sit for a 0-0 draw if they're in a good position.

There is something fun about all the scenarios on that final day, though.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

My picks:

Rd of 16:
                      Argentina over France
                      Uruguay over Portugal
                      Spain over Russia
                      Croatia over Denmark
                      Brazil over Mexico
                      Belgium over Japan
                      Switzerland over Sweden
                      Colombia over England

Qtrs:
                      Uruguay over Argentina
                      Croatia over Spain
                      Belgium over Brazil
                      Colombia over Switzerland

Semis:
                      Belgium over Uruguay
                      Croatia over Colombia

3rd and Final:
                      Colombia over Uruguay
                      Belgium over Croatia

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        My picks:

Rd of 16:
                        Colombia over England
                        On penalties??
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          On penalties??
                          We can only hope.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Dumb foul to take there. I don't think he gets the ball before it's out of bounds and even if he did not sure he'd be in a great position.

Comment

What a strike and it's 1-1!

However muck Faradona!

Comment

Holy potatoes Di Maria
                                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Working...
                                X