Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Are you telling me that ACHA club teams actively recruit players??!! And that girls make their college decisions based largely on that??!! The world has definitely gone insane...
    My daughter was actively recruited by some D3 and ACHA teams. She decided to go to the ACHA D1 college purely because it was the best school.

Comment

Based on the staff directory it appears Salem State hired veteran girls hockey coach and Salem State alumn Malcolm Spurling (most recently at Weston, MA prep The Rivers School). He has two daughters who played NCAA hockey: one played forward for Harvard while his other played on the blue line for St. Anselm so he is at least familiar with the college level as a parent and a prep coach.

Comment

Holy cow, has Hamline flipped the MIAC on it's head...

Two D1 transfers, two top 6 F's coming over from St. Thomas.

Should move Hamline into the favorite role (along with Gustavus), and probably puts the Tommies on a playoff bubble.

Comment

• Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post

Should move Hamline into the favorite role (along with Gustavus), and probably puts the Tommies on a playoff bubble.
          And I'm sure no rules were broken for all that to coincidentally happen in the same off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post

Who are the transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
              Who are the transfers?
              Any thoughts on the NCAA requiring athletes transferring DI to DIII to red shirt for a season or are those regulations conference based?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                Any thoughts on the NCAA requiring athletes transferring DI to DIII to red shirt for a season?
                That used to be the requirement in all sports, but they abandoned that a long time ago. (Way back, my brother was at SUNY Oneonta for soccer, which was D1 at the time, and transferred to Stony Brook, which was D3 at the time. He had to sit out a year.)
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Who are the transfers?
                  Their Twitter feed reports these transfers (and I was wrong, it's 3 D-1 Transfers, I only recognized the MN players)

The Lindenwood to Hamline pipeline:

Xilly Lang
                  Sarah Bobrowski
                  Kaitlyn Davidson

and the 3 mile jog north from St. Thomas:

Leah Schwartzmann
                  Becca Zarembinski

they also pulled another D3 transfer from Southern Maine

They now have two extremely solid lines. They have to figure out everything behind that, but I make them at least a co-favorite with Gustavus.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
                    Their Twitter feed reports these transfers (and I was wrong, it's 3 D-1 Transfers, I only recognized the MN players)

Xilly Lang
                    Sarah Bobrowski
                    Kaitlyn Davidson

Leah Schwartzmann
                    Becca Zarembinski

They now have two extremely solid lines. They have to figure out everything behind that, but I make them at least a co-favorite with Gustavus.
                    Improved? Yes but don't get to excited just yet.

What is going on down at LU?

Comment

Improved? Yes but don't get to excited just yet.

What is going on down at LU?
                      It's in St Louis, they lose a lot, they have mediocre facilities, and it is a 1 day trip to everywhere..... what more do you need to know? Anyone who thought this was a long term winning proposition was crazy.....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        It's in St Louis, they lose a lot, they have mediocre facilities, and it is a 1 day trip to everywhere..... what more do you need to know? Anyone who thought this was a long term winning proposition was crazy.....
                        Having to drive 25 minutes from campus to practice everyday and for games is not great. Let's put the transfers in perspective; LU lost 7 players to graduation and transfer, yet only lost five goals worth of scoring.

Comment

Looking at the stats and the roles of the D1 players on the LU team, you could argue that the D3 transfers from St Thomas will play a larger role than the D1 transfers.

Schwartzmann had 15G & 17 A last year while Zarembinski was at 6G 10A. Of the D1 transfers, only Bobrowski really contributed: 4G 5A in 32 games so expect her to do well. Lang only played 20 games and Davidson played 7....on a team that was 6-25-2.

Comment

Hamline getting those D1 transfers is probably Darwitz's connection (or her dad's) to the MN players. Yes, it's odd to have that many D1 transfers come in, but I think Hamline already has some LU transfer(s) so they probably talked with their friends, etc, etc, etc. What is the head scratcher, though, is that Schwartzmann and Zarembinski would BOTH leave UST at that the same time. Now how does that happen? I've seen programs lose a top kid to another school (Bethel lost Larson to UST), but to lose TWO top players, in the same off-season? That is very fishy. It either says a lot about Darwitz and how she recruits, or it says a lot about Palkowski at UST and how he coaches. I think a lot of D3 coaches fly under the radar with questionable recruiting tactics and it's never talked about because it's D3 and it's not on the national scope like D1 is. But you have some schools (cough, cough, River Falls) who tell girls they have a week to decide or their spot is gone/being replaced by someone else when in fact, they are still taking recruits in (if they're good enough) all year round. I suppose at some point, a coach must decide how much he/she wants to sell their soul to win a national championship or come close to doing so.

Comment

The D1 transfers always perform better returning to D3 - look at Hamline's Darby Dodds, didn't score much in D1, top 5 in MIAC last year. Almost every D1 player returning to MIAC scores well. My point is, if it were JUST the D1 players coming to Hamline, they'd be improved. But add in the #2 scorer in the league (Schwartzmann) and another solid MN HS player (Zarembinski)...

Only Gustavus can match up to those top 2 lines. Most MIAC schools can throw out one good line. Last year Gustavus and St. Thomas could throw out two. Based on their HS recruits, St. Thomas will always be okay - they seem to get the best non-D1 talent in the state (makes sense, not a tough school to get into, they have an exceptional D3 athletic department and support system). St. Thomas will just be young.

I just think that if Hamline gets any sort of play out of it's defense, they'll be right there at the end. But Gustavus, if they stay healthy, will be real good again.

And this might be the most posts in a thread about the MIAC. Which I enjoy...
                              Last edited by MND3Dad; 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post

Xilly Lang
                                Sarah Bobrowski
                                Kaitlyn Davidson

Leah Schwartzmann
                                Becca Zarembinski

Technically isn't Lindenwood D2?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X