X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The only ones I know have signed NLI are Ashbrook and Ferner as well as four of the women recruits.
    What about the current players? Which ones signed NLIs when they were about to come into RPI, and are here now?

I have to assume that all three of our seniors were scholarship, so we're not going to have much available.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      He should spend the off season shooting in a net.
      This seems to be a very common thing that I hear every year, even back in 2010-11.

Comment

This was more than a 6 wins team. Will, Vik and Praps were a solid Sr. class. There were pieces there, Reilly and Hayhurst are solid D1 players. For those on this thread that blamed Seth for in game coaching decisions, they need to rethink that position because as Mr. Macadam from the Gazette said he is not assigning blame to Smith. The support for this program is less than zero from the administration. I don’t blame Lee for not having hockey expertise but the criticism still stands that people that should have been involved with the coaching search were swept aside (see hockey alumni criticism). The decision was made in an insular fashion by people who don’t know hockey.
        Lee owns this whole disaster. It is his watch. I have no confidence that he is engaged enough to try and make this better.
        I agree with Ralph that we will see a massive movement of players. This too will cause tumult because parents and prospective recruits will wonder if RPI will keep their commitment to the student athletes they recruit.
        Shirley will be gone at the latest in 2020 and I surmise Lee will go when she does. It will be up the next admin to make this right.
        Thank you to Vik, Willy and Praps for coming to Troy. I’m looking forward to what the future holds for the three of you.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          This was more than a 6 wins team. Will, Vik and Praps were a solid Sr. class. There were pieces there, Reilly and Hayhurst are solid D1 players. For those on this thread that blamed Seth for in game coaching decisions, they need to rethink that position because as Mr. Macadam from the Gazette said he is not assigning blame to Smith. The support for this program is less than zero from the administration. I don’t blame Lee for not having hockey expertise but the criticism still stands that people that should have been involved with the coaching search were swept aside (see hockey alumni criticism). The decision was made in an insular fashion by people who don’t know hockey.
          Lee owns this whole disaster. It is his watch. I have no confidence that he is engaged enough to try and make this better.
          I agree with Ralph that we will see a massive movement of players. This too will cause tumult because parents and prospective recruits will wonder if RPI will keep their commitment to the student athletes they recruit.
          Shirley will be gone at the latest in 2020 and I surmise Lee will go when she does. It will be up the next admin to make this right.
          Thank you to Vik, Willy and Praps for coming to Troy. I’m looking forward to what the future holds for the three of you.
          Anyone who watched the games closely saw the in-game adjustments Smith was actually able to make, which is something we never saw under Appert. Not to meniton, the team mentally instead of all-star mentality. Anyone who blames Smith is out of their mind.

People need to get over the decision made last year. What's done is done. Belly-ache in 4 years if nothing changes.

I will be shocked if the empress is gone in 2 years. So long as she's able to walk and have drivel come out of her mouth, she will remain in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            What about the current players? Which ones signed NLIs when they were about to come into RPI, and are here now?

I have to assume that all three of our seniors were scholarship, so we're not going to have much available.
            Returning players that signed NLI's

Goalies - Perry, Marshall

Defensemen - Moore, Reilly, Manley

Forwards - Tironese, Wiffen, J. Orvhall, Burgess, Hayhurst, Polino, E. Orvhall, Jerry, Stout

Comment

Anyone who watched the games closely saw the in-game adjustments Smith was actually able to make, which is something we never saw under Appert. Not to meniton, the team mentally instead of all-star mentality. Anyone who blames Smith is out of their mind.

People need to get over the decision made last year. What's done is done. Belly-ache in 4 years if nothing changes.

I will be shocked if the empress is gone in 2 years. So long as she's able to walk and have drivel come out of her mouth, she will remain in that position.
              Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Agree that this team was more than a 6 win team this season. IMO the team lacked consistency because of all of the in game changes that the HC made. So I disagree with you that we didn't see any in game changes. I also felt that there were too many game to game changes with the offensive lines. Forwards, IMO, need to develop chemistry and it takes more than just a 2 or 3 game segment for that to happen. Scoring is a function of chemistry between forwards. Knowing where each other is and trusting when to make the pass. At times this team was to much "INDVIDUALS" and not enough "TEAM". Solid D1 players, this team has more than just Hayhurst and Riley. It doesn't matter who I think they are, my opinion doesn't matter. Only the HC opinion matters. Changes are coming that's for sure. I don't believe this team will carry a roster of 34 and with that said I'm sure more than the 3 seniors will be leaving. Will all just have to wait to see who they may be. Many people have rumors but only the players and the HC no for sure. But Im sure the HC has a plan.

Comment

Anyone who watched the games closely saw the in-game adjustments Smith was actually able to make, which is something we never saw under Appert.
                  Do tell.

I'm not doubting you, I just want you to give me an example.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                    Returning players that signed NLI's

Goalies - Perry, Marshall

Defensemen - Moore, Reilly, Manley

Forwards - Tironese, Wiffen, J. Orvhall, Burgess, Hayhurst, Polino, E. Orvhall, Jerry, Stout
                    Thanks. I count 14. We don't know if there are others who received one but didn't announce NLI publicly, and I don't recall if you can do partial shenanigans with the NLI or if it has to be full. We have two known early signers, and the regular period comes in a couple months or so, so we'd know more by then. If we go over 18, I'd really start to wonder about some of these players you mentioned.

Comment

Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
                      They also have the cream of the crop players in the country and a just turned 17 year old who is projected as the #1 NHL draft pick in 2019. Not hard to coach a squad made up of those players.

Comment

Thanks. I count 14. We don't know if there are others who received one but didn't announce NLI publicly, and I don't recall if you can do partial shenanigans with the NLI or if it has to be full. We have two known early signers, and the regular period comes in a couple months or so, so we'd know more by then. If we go over 18, I'd really start to wonder about some of these players you mentioned.
                        Any athletic money, full or partial, is outlined in the NLI. Its the Institutions financial commitment to the players.

Comment

They also have the cream of the crop players in the country and a just turned 17 year old who is projected as the #1 NHL draft pick in 2019. Not hard to coach a squad made up of those players.
                          Has this ever happened before?

They always have cream of the crop players, so that's irrelevant. And a projected #1 NHL draft pick? You mean like team alums Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel (who would have been #1 in any year since Crosby)? Erik Johnson and Rick DiPietro?

It's probably not hard to coach teams like that, but you're missing the fact that AspyDad presented - highest winning percentage in the program's history.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

It's probably not hard to coach teams like that, but you're missing the fact that AspyDad presented - highest winning percentage in the program's history.
                            I'm not missing the point at all. Highest winning percentage in the programs history isn't what matters to USA Hockey and the NTDP. What matters to them is the number of #1 drafts picks in the upcoming draft and the overall number for the team. Its about individual player development to them.

Comment

I'm not missing the point at all. Highest winning percentage in the programs history isn't what matters to USA Hockey and the NTDP. What matters to them is the number of #1 drafts picks in the upcoming draft and the overall number for the team. Its about individual player development to them.
                              Perhaps you should have led with that if this was your point.

That said, it's interesting, then, that USA Hockey would select him to oversee said development, since he got such a bad rap for it at RPI. Wonder why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I suspect that a topic for conversation this off-season will certainly be the makeup of next season’s team. Let me initiate the discussion. I will post separately about goalies, defensemen and forwards.

The first post is about goalies. This is the simplest, but there are still questions. All three goalies, Perry, St.Denis, and Marshall, are eligible to return and we have one goalie recruit, Owen Savory. OS is a 97, so he must come in the fall. I don’t think that we will keep four goalies, so someone must be leaving. I think that Chase Perry will turn pro. He cannot transfer since he has already done that once.

Comments?
                                I too think Perry will be gone. After RPI gave up back two back 7 goal games and Perry didn't get a start, that was a pretty clear signal that Smith had no intention of playing him. I doubt St.Denis is getting any scholly money - but that's just a hunch.
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X