X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    Neutral Zone scouting report from March NAHL Top Prospects Showcase:

Kohei Sato (F, 6’1”, 185lbs, Northeast, 1996)-Sato was the fastest player here. His speed is elite. He was in constant motion which made him very tough to cover. His passing and puck skills have improved since we saw him last and he was able to play fast with the puck most of the time. His compete level was high. He only knows one speed (fast) and that does hurt him at times as he skates himself into trouble. Overall, he was impressive and despite only scoring one goal earned his grade.

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/201...ts-90-skaters/
    Looking forward to learning more about Kohei! So assuming he's coming this season?
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Looking forward to learning more about Kohei! So assuming he's coming this season?
      '96 has to be for 2017-18.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        '96 has to be for 2017-18.
        Thanks!! I figured as much and read deltabravo's post too quickly... Imagine 'Watcher will post a line up of sorts to see where he would fit in for this season...as well as an interview with C-H-C!! (no rush hurry up )
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Here's a story about Kohei Sato:

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=20847

Interesting note: both he and Benton Maass have NAHL roots; looks like we are 'fishing there' or is that just a coincidence?
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-05-2017, 11:52 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            Definitely looks quick on his skates in the highlights I have seen. Hopefully he can bring some skill with that speed. Being that he is a 96 I assume he will be arriving this fall.

I'm interested to see where he fits into the lineup, guessing he could fit into a decent bottom 6 role. Welcome to UNH Kohei!
            The Japanese Johnny Rogers

I love speed even if it doesn't amount to anything!

PK and forecheck could always use a guy like this.
            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              The Japanese Johnny Rogers

I love speed even if it doesn't amount to anything!

PK and forecheck could always use a guy like this.
              Stevie High n Wide Moses?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Stevie High n Wide Moses?
                100 pt scorer at UNH and then setting the KHL single-season goals record? Nope, sorry, not trying to knock this kid but if he had that in him he would have gotten to D1 before he was 21 years old.
                I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

With his speed the first thought as far as what he replaces is Jamie Hill. I'm curious if his size and skill set will bring him more success at the D1 level than Hill had. Obviously he was not highly sought after, but hopefully he will fill a role and find success at UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                    With his speed the first thought as far as what he replaces is Jamie Hill. I'm curious if his size and skill set will bring him more success at the D1 level than Hill had. Obviously he was not highly sought after, but hopefully he will fill a role and find success at UNH.
                    In an article I posted he was looking at/had inquiries from 3 other D1 teams (and that can mean many things, so I get that). He sure looks fast; looking at his films was thinking Jamie as well. NCAA D1 hockey of course is something all together different but I am really looking forward to seeing just where he fits and what he brings as well..
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-05-2017, 05:58 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                      This was my thought. Hopefully he can come closer than Hill to 10-15 points per year and get in the line-up as a FR. Not a high-impact kid but if he can fill a forechecking/defensive role with that speed and effort, than I like him better than some alternatives for the bottom six...

He is a -26 this year with Northeast - but hopefully that is just a product of his team being awful.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Here's a story about Kohei Sato:

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=20847
                        I honestly don't have the slightest idea what's up with this recruit. Overage spare part with speed, decent size, but with a ceiling maybe in between 3rd line and 4th line by the time he's done (at age 25/26?)? Don't we already have enough of these walk-on level forwards on board already? Do we really need the next Jamie Hill (i.e. Cefalu and/or Sacco), or even the "Japanese Johnny Rogers" (that made me laugh out loud, EJ)??

Or is UNH serving notice to the rest of D-1 that we're going to dominate the *fertile* Asian recruiting scene?

Funny ... while the first true non-North American recruit was eventually going to happen (excepting Rod Langway being born in Taiwan), I always figured it would be a Swede or Finn, or maybe even an Eastern European. I'll give tons of credit to Souza (or Stewart) if this kid comes good, but this is just plain puzzling. You don't get much more "diamond in the rough" that this one, that's for sure. Sorry for my lack of enthusiasm.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I would guess/hope that Souza is trying to create is a little competition for those game day roster slots. Also do not forget the fact that we were an injury or two away from not being able to field a full lineup (short of Clark/Lazzaro hitting the ice as a skater) for a few weeks last season with a whopping three injured players. Obviously there is something that he likes in this kid. While we are already placing this guy at a pretty low expected ceiling I reserve full judgement of any player until I see them on the ice at the Whitt.

I agree with Dan that if he can fill a defensive/forechecking/pk kind of role well. I would prefer him over a few of the optional fill ins we have on the roster currently. That -26 raises the eyebrows a bit but when you look at the team he was on... woof...
                          Last edited by deltabravo62; 04-06-2017, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I honestly don't have the slightest idea what's up with this recruit. Overage spare part with speed, decent size, but with a ceiling maybe in between 3rd line and 4th line by the time he's done (at age 25/26?)? Don't we already have enough of these walk-on level forwards on board already? Do we really need the next Jamie Hill (i.e. Cefalu and/or Sacco), or even the "Japanese Johnny Rogers" (that made me laugh out loud, EJ)??
                            Channeling our inner Bazin?
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Recruited walk on? in other words no $$?
                              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                                Recruited walk on? in other words no $$?
                                Has to be, thus little downside. If you can upgrade your fourth line for free, why wouldn't you? If he can be Johnny Rogers he's a big upgrade over the others. Rogers scored 40 pts over his last three seasons and was always dependable defensively...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X