Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
    I had pretty much the same thought. We arrived just as the consolation game was ending. Most of the folks we saw leaving the rink appeared to be Wick fans. There were maybe 250 Card fans there for the championship game. Really a shame as it is not really a very long trip from Plattsburgh to Midd. Maybe 90 minutes each way. Primelimk does a huge amount of work ( and considerable expense too I'm sure) to pull off this event each year. One can only wonder how much longer they will continue to sponsor it if attendance doesn't improve.
    I think there are two factors contributing to the serious decline in attendance to the Primelink Shoot Out. Yes, Middlebury is no longer a d3 powerhouse. Midd fans would rather watch their basketball team win than their hockey team put up yet another dismal showing. But the other is the live streaming. Why drive 90 minutes to Kenyon arena when you can watch a pretty good broadcast on line in the comfort of your living room and let the dogs out AND make popcorn between periods then slip in to bed when its over rather than face another 90 minutes on the road back home (and then the dogs still need to go out when you arrive).

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
      I think there are two factors contributing to the serious decline in attendance to the Primelink Shoot Out. Yes, Middlebury is no longer a d3 powerhouse. Midd fans would rather watch their basketball team win than their hockey team put up yet another dismal showing. But the other is the live streaming. Why drive 90 minutes to Kenyon arena when you can watch a pretty good broadcast on line in the comfort of your living room and let the dogs out AND make popcorn between periods then slip in to bed when its over rather than face another 90 minutes on the road back home (and then the dogs still need to go out when you arrive).
      Good points all around. ( And it would be helpful if the pups sported bigger bladders, especially. )

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
        I don’t know if it’s the live streaming. Even the best of those don’t compare to being at the rink. I’d love to be able to drive 90 minutes to watch Primelink, or any D3 game for that matter. DU is the closest NCAA hockey to me and it’s 8 hrs away.

I think part of it may be social media. I think in the ‘80s and ‘90s students would attend games on Friday and Saturday nights to meet up with friends and figure out what was going on later in the night. Now, everyone knows where everyone else is and what’s going on basically at all times.

Comment

Plenty of excitement at the Oswego Campus Center , big crowds, a lot of fanfare, watch the live streaming to see this

Comment

I know it's a new building, but I have to believe that visiting teams coming into the Alfond at UNE can get intimidated by the crowd. The student section can be pretty loud and crazy and when UNE scores (which they do more at home than on the road, another story) the joint does rock. Anyway, not the history that some schools' buildings have, but it's up and coming!

Comment

Alfond Arena on the Colby campus in Waterville, ME for the Bowdoin-Colby rivalry... It's an old hockey barn that seats close to 2,000 and is SRO for this game. Tonight is the 209th edition and can be streamed on NSN. Traditionally, some Bowdoin fans come armed with a squid.
              Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                Alfond Arena on the Colby campus in Waterville, ME for the Bowdoin-Colby rivalry... It's an old hockey barn that seats close to 2,000 and is SRO for this game. Tonight is the 209th edition and can be streamed on NSN. Traditionally, some Bowdoin fans come armed with a squid.
                Alfond and the old Dayton Arena in Brunswick are and were great old barns. When ever Bowdoin and Colby get together, and there is ice involved, it becomes and epic tilt. There may only be 12 guys on the ice for those games but there are a couple of thousand fans skating each and every shift! At least in the amount of energy expended! Thanks for reminding us of that.

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned Geneseo, I always liked to travel there for an Oz/Genny game. The student sections are great and they have a band that plays to rile up the crowd.
                  http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                    I'm surprised no one mentioned Geneseo, I always liked to travel there for an Oz/Genny game. The student sections are great and they have a band that plays to rile up the crowd.
                    It was great again on Friday night, love the band and the student support was better part of 60-70% of the crowd. Place was rocking.

Comment

ditto................don't waste your money on seats at Adrian / way better off to do standing room at end of the rink.

KB Willett rocks / small atmosphere but fun place to attend!

Comment

How's Hamilton? I know the rink is the oldest (?) in college hockey, but there's a line between old-world charm and just plain old. All of the tradeoffs aren't always worth it. For example, Fenway is a must-see for people from put of town when they visit Boston, but after you've seen it the cramped concourses and isles, and the obstructed views, can leave me yearning for a modern park without those "charms".

I tuned into a few different games this past weekend, and really they looked packed all around. I'm sure the fact that many of these were rivalries helped (Bowdoin-Colby, Norwich-Castleton), but it was good to see.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          How's Hamilton? I know the rink is the oldest (?) in college hockey, but there's a line between old-world charm and just plain old. All of the tradeoffs aren't always worth it. For example, Fenway is a must-see for people from put of town when they visit Boston, but after you've seen it the cramped concourses and isles, and the obstructed views, can leave me yearning for a modern park without those "charms".
                          They renovated the rink back in 1993 (added individual seats replacing bleachers amongst other things), but they kept (had no real choice) the same layout to it. So, there are still view obstructing pillars and odd nooks and crannies and balconies where seats are and a very cramped oddly located press box.

Yes, it's old -- the second oldest college rink. It is historic. It certainly has "character." I believe scenes from Love Story were filmed there.

Every time I've been there, it's been more empty than full.

But, considering the name of the rink is Russell Sage Rink, it's my favorite rink...
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Our old rink , Romney field house , still has the older guys wagginq their tongues that it had a lot of old charm. Trust me you froze your posterior off and today you do not need a heavy coat on at the Campus Center in Oswego. We have been fortunate for a large fan base in Oswego, the atmosphere is exciting because of the great crowd.
                            Over the years visiting Cornell and Colgate and Appleleton in St Lawrence there is great atmosphere at those venuess. Traveling to Norwich and later this winter to Middlecbury we see very good atmosphere . Although the rinks present unique moments of good atmosphere , it is always a great crowd at these rinks that really create the best atmosphere

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                              Our old rink , Romney field house , still has the older guys wagginq their tongues that it had a lot of old charm. Trust me you froze your posterior off and today you do not need a heavy coat on at the Campus Center in Oswego. We have been fortunate for a large fan base in Oswego, the atmosphere is exciting because of the great crowd.
                              Over the years visiting Cornell and Colgate and Appleleton in St Lawrence there is great atmosphere at those venuess. Traveling to Norwich and later this winter to Middlecbury we see very good atmosphere . Although the rinks present unique moments of good atmosphere , it is always a great crowd at these rinks that really create the best atmosphere
                              Nothing beats Romney and Clarkson's old Walker Arena. NOTHING.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                Nothing beats Romney and Clarkson's old Walker Arena. NOTHING.
                                Yup. CCT was 185x80 with the fans right on top of you.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X