Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

No.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• R.E.M: World Leader Pretend
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        It may sound odd given their fame but I think the Stones are a bit underrated.

Wild Horses
        Waiting on a Friend - still remember where I was the day I first saw this video
        Angie
        Paint it Black
        Sympathy for the Devil
        Shattered
        Street Fighting Man
        Gimme Shelter - Can see Mick's on stage quirks most now recognize him for in its earliest development

Would the average music fan know how deep their roots are in the blues? I know a lot of people were turned off by their never ending recording and touring but I'd pay a handsome sum of money to see them in concert today. More than were I to have a chance at a Gilmour or Waters solo concert which is near blasphemy given their place within my heart for music.
        mookie loves Shattered.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Pink Floyd - 6/18/75 Boston

Early versions of a couple of songs from Animals to open the show and then Shine On>Have a Cigar>Shine On to close out the first set.

This is a nice audience recording - quite nice. The fun part is hearing a few of the people sitting near the recorder talk before each set, probably not knowing that a recorder is near them... forever preserving a little vignette of this June night in 1975. I don't know why I find that to be so cool, but I do.

Two things if I can put my finger on it... something random is preserved. A little snippet of life that would have disappeared into the ether. Also - I'm not just listening to a concert, I'm in a seat. A very specific seat surrounded by people I don't know - yet specific individuals - and sharing a part of an experience that they had 42 years ago.

Deeeeep.....

Before the first set, joints are mentioned.

Before the second set, clearly there is something staged going on before the band starts DSOTM and the arena is cheering and I can hear people saying "What is that?" "Is that a train?" Louder cheering and then "Wows!" and "No ways!"

Wish I had a clue what they were looking at.

Second set is DSOTM.

Ha ha... after On the Run, joyous laughing and "This is SO good!" "Nice!" "Nice!" more joyous laughing.

Banter can be annoying and distracting on these recordings but in this case, it's not right into the mic and it's people enjoying the show, not talking about random other BS or how wasted they are. Also and most importantly, can't hear them during the music.

Loving this as I plod through the final hours of the work week...

Oh and what is on now?

Time

Of course.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-25-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Before the second set, clearly there is something staged going on before the band starts DSOTM and the arena is cheering and I can hear people saying "What is that?" "Is that a train?" Louder cheering and then "Wows!" and "No ways!"

Wish I had a clue what they were looking at.
            It's some kinda spaceship thingy.

6:50 - 8:50.

Stills starting at 5:40.

Here's wonderful footage from 1973.
            Last edited by Kepler; 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Before Us & Them... "You got a match?" "Anyone got a match?"

Haha... matches at a concert.

Thanks Kep. I'll have a look on break.

Comment

• Naughty By Nature: O.P.P.

Got that on in the car yelling "You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!"
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Blues & BBQ today.

http://www.riwaterfrontevents.com/blues-bbq-festival/
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Naughty By Nature: O.P.P.

Got that on in the car yelling "You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!"
                    "When O.P.P. comes, d-mn skippy I'm with it."
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Had three different people today ask me why I'm in a good mood. This is why.

Background for those who are unfamiliar.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-05-2017, 02:02 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Maybe 10-12 years ago I was sitting in a bar someplace in or around Boston and struck up a conversation with a guy a few stools down who, as it happened, was a music professor at BU or BC or some other Boston area school that probably also has equally distasteful, albeit lesser known, hockey fans. It was a bar. I had my drinking shoes on. So as far as details go, primarily I only recall his long but familiar lamentation regarding the then current popular music and the lack of quality musicianship therein. While there are of course many exceptions, I find the landscape of pop hasn't improved greatly since then in this regard and in fact it is possible it has declined. This is probably an ancient lament, but still...

With the passing of Walter Becker of Steely Dan I'm reminded today of how I first became aware, and even appreciative at a very young age of musical virtuosity in popular music. This song, which was endlessly repeated on FM in my early youth, was the first one that I recall leading me toward becoming aware there was indeed, so much more to music than just a catchy melody and a killer pop hook. That perhaps having a good beat and being easy to dance to and giving it an 8 wasn't all there was? There were in fact jazz stylings, and swing and bluegrass and classical and marimba and tejano and zydeco and on and on... I began to discover and appreciate many brilliant musicians, who's music perhaps I didn't even particularly even care for, but were amazing just the same. Steely Dan (among many other bands) played a big part in opening up a world of music to me. Going to dust off my Aja vinyl and give it a spin. Thanks Walter.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I miss home if anything for not being able to hear this woman sing live. Lake Street Dive - Bad Self Portraits.

Also I <3 Chris Robinson.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-03-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I love how in that performance, they don't even try to replicate the amazing solo done by Elliot Randall on the record. One, because it's an iconic solo created by an immensely talented guitar player, and it would be sort of blasphemy for the other guys to just mimic something he came up with, and two, because they had good enough players in the band also that they could create something different without having to blandly copy the studio recording.

That's what good live bands can do.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Greg Allmans Southern Blood, eerie, it has stayed in my truck CD player for 2 days now. Different sound, horns, Piano (instead of B3). He hopes his music haunts us when he is gone, it does me. His cover of Going, Going Gone got me.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

On a synthwave/outrun kick at the moment.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X