Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

bbdl hosted a guys' night yesterday at his place. A couple of us met up at a liquor store that he recommended, and we were NOT disappointed. Holy selection. Beers that I tried yesterday:

Southern Tier Creme Brulee: OH. MY. GOD. Game over. Drop mic. Walk out. This is a whole new level of awesomeness.
    Evil Twin Aun Mas Chili Jesus: mild to moderate heat, very drinkable.
    Evil Twin Ron And The Beast Ryan: Saison beer, it was okay, but subpar for Evil Twin's usual offerings.
    Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin: Appreciated the quality of the beer, but it wasn't for me.
    De Struise Brouwers Cuvee Delphine: RIS, very tasty. Definitely could drink this all day.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Cuvee Delphine was one of the best beers I've tasted. Right up there, if not better than the KBS, BCS, etc. I tasted the Cuvee Delphine, KBS (2014), KBS (2015), all on Saturday, so I had a back-to-back-to-back tasting. I'd rank them 1)Cuvee Delphine 2)KBS 2015 3)KBS 2014
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Cuvee Delphine was one of the best beers I've tasted. Right up there, if not better than the KBS, BCS, etc. I tasted the Cuvee Delphine, KBS (2014), KBS (2015), all on Saturday, so I had a back-to-back-to-back tasting. I'd rank them 1)Cuvee Delphine 2)KBS 2015 3)KBS 2014
        I do find it hilarious that many craft beer drinkers are lucky to even get one of the above, and here you are having all three on the same day.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I do find it hilarious that many craft beer drinkers are lucky to even get one of the above, and here you are having all three on the same day.
          Most craft beer drinkers haven't heard of Cuvee Delphine....we all try to get the KBS, and most of us are oblivious to Cuvee Delphine. It doesn't help that it seems to be harder to get than even KBS is.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Most craft beer drinkers haven't heard of Cuvee Delphine....we all try to get the KBS, and most of us are oblivious to Cuvee Delphine. It doesn't help that it seems to be harder to get than even KBS is.
            That is a good point. I hadn't heard of the Samichlaus until recently (and apparently it's hard to get). Personally, I thought it was too sweet for my tastes, but the quality was outstanding.

I think the only one that I have heard of, and will probably never get to taste, is the 3 Floyd's Dark Lord. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are that top-notch, I just don't know about them. Yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              That is a good point. I hadn't heard of the Samichlaus until recently (and apparently it's hard to get). Personally, I thought it was too sweet for my tastes, but the quality was outstanding.

I think the only one that I have heard of, and will probably never get to taste, is the 3 Floyd's Dark Lord. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are that top-notch, I just don't know about them. Yet.
              I guy in Lowell orders me the Samichlaus every holiday season. It is sweet but it gets better if you age it. We compared a 2009 with a 2014 this past Christmas and the 2009 was great.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                I guy in Lowell orders me the Samichlaus every holiday season. It is sweet but it gets better if you age it. We compared a 2009 with a 2014 this past Christmas and the 2009 was great.
                I debated buying the 4-pack at the store tonight (it's been there for a couple weeks now), age it, and give it a 2nd run. Decided that at $23, not worth the risk. Just not my style. Besides, I have a decent stash for next winter (or longer) anyway.

Comment

I had mine last night (Samiclaus). It was really sweet. Too sweet for me, and that is saying something. I usually like the beers that are on the sweeter side.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I had mine last night (Samiclaus). It was really sweet. Too sweet for me, and that is saying something. I usually like the beers that are on the sweeter side.
                    Ditto. If you want to go halves on the 4 pack, and let it age, I can go back and get it. I'd risk $12.

Comment

Ditto. If you want to go halves on the 4 pack, and let it age, I can go back and get it. I'd risk $12.
                      Nah, I have other beers I'd prefer to age over this.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Nah, I have other beers I'd prefer to age over this.
                        Cool. Looking forward to the Black Betty you tipped us off on.

Comment

So a while back, maybe even a couple of years... a guy who owns a little liquor store tried to get me to try an orange liqueur called Mandarine Napolean. Said it would make a great margarita when substituted for Triple Sec - not that I use Triple Sec (usually Patron Citron), but you get the point.

I balked at the $40 price tag and chalked it up to a hopeful future purchase.

Found a bottle the other day at the grocery store on closeout for $15.

He was correct. The margs have been wonderful (better than with the Patron and that's high praise imo)... almost as wonderful as this warm evening on the front porch.

Comment

Tried the Samichlaus Helles yesterday. It was even sweeter than the original, and it was undrinkable. Dumped it. Won't buy it again, I'll stick to beer that doesn't suck.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Went well out of my wheelhouse for a BYO6 for the weekend. 2 IPAs and a barleywine are in there. Haven't had any of them before. We'll see how this goes, and report back. Also saw Leinie's has a new Big Eddy: Royal Nectar, which is a braggot*. Sounds awesome, but didn't want to splurge for a 4-pack (yet), and single bottles were not available.

*Braggot is quite an old drink, there is a mentioned in Chaucer, Canterbury Tales in the late 1300’s, and there are earlier references dating even further back to the 12th century in Ireland. Braggot is simply made by blending spices and herbs with mead and beer (Source: the beer snob site).

Comment

Went well out of my wheelhouse for a BYO6 for the weekend. 2 IPAs and a barleywine are in there. Haven't had any of them before. We'll see how this goes, and report back. Also saw Leinie's has a new Big Eddy: Royal Nectar, which is a braggot*. Sounds awesome, but didn't want to splurge for a 4-pack (yet), and single bottles were not available.

*Braggot is quite an old drink, there is a mentioned in Chaucer, Canterbury Tales in the late 1300’s, and there are earlier references dating even further back to the 12th century in Ireland. Braggot is simply made by blending spices and herbs with mead and beer (Source: the beer snob site).
                                A bunch of us in the group had a Braggot at Harpoon Brewery when we were Boston. It was pretty **** good.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X