Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    Fun facts:

OCt. 22- US 5, Canada 2
    Oct. 25 - Canada 5, U.S. 1
    Nov. 7 - U.S. 4, Canada 2
    Nov. 8: U.S. 5, Canada 1

Stauber thinks, hey, that's not good enough, let's screw with the roster.

U.S. loses 5 straight to Canada through the round robin, scoring only four goals in those five games.

How else would you call it? Seriously, I want to know. This would NEVER have happened with the men's team. Stauber got lucky. He still should be fired.
    Hey, I'm still upset with Stauber for giving up that rebound to Krayer in 1989. And I'll never forgive him for cutting Megan Bozek.

But, they did win so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM. Reason: It's too late I guess
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      If I heard correctly last night (and I'm pretty sure I did), AJ is getting a try-out as an 'expert' commentator on some NBC broadcasts of NHL games this spring!
      That's hard to believe. I'm all for women getting opportunities like that. Whalen and Wendell are doing a great job with the Wild and the Wolves, but AJ? I suppose she will go on and on about how great all the NHL Canadian players are ad nauseam.

Comment

Fun facts:

OCt. 22- US 5, Canada 2
        Oct. 25 - Canada 5, U.S. 1
        Nov. 7 - U.S. 4, Canada 2
        Nov. 8: U.S. 5, Canada 1

Stauber thinks, hey, that's not good enough, let's screw with the roster.

U.S. loses 5 straight to Canada through the round robin, scoring only four goals in those five games.

How else would you call it? Seriously, I want to know. This would NEVER have happened with the men's team. Stauber got lucky. He still should be fired.
        Fun fact: This was the first time the U.S. beat Canada for the Gold Medal this century. Until last night Canada had won 20-something Olympic games in a row. And you want to fire the coach who put a stop to these streaks? Except for a tiny minority of women's hockey fans no one will remember who won or lost in all the preliminary games leading up to last night's final.

Everyone here knows how you feel about Coach Stauber, Arafel. Time to let it go.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

How much of a bump does this give women's hockey here in the USA?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Too bad it can't revive UND

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              HUGE I would think. Hopefully similar to what the King/Riggs match did for girl's tennis in the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyViking View Post
                Too bad it can't revive UND
                Preach. I tweeted about it last night that UND should fee like idiots.
                "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Fun fact: This was the first time the U.S. beat Canada for the Gold Medal this century. Until last night Canada had won 20-something Olympic games in a row. And you want to fire the coach who put a stop to these streaks? Except for a tiny minority of women's hockey fans no one will remember who won or lost in all the preliminary games leading up to last night's final.

Everyone here knows how you feel about Coach Stauber, Arafel. Time to let it go.
                  No, it's not, not while people are trying to credit Stauber as a coaching genius. Anybody with eyes could see the U.S. was outplayed for much of last night's game. They didn't even get a shot on net until seven minutes were gone in the game. The power play was anemic at best, they got overwhelmed in the second, and for most of the third it wasn't looking good either. Stauber didn't do anything right, and if USA Hockey keeps him, I expect the results of December through the round robin will be very common.
                  "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    HUGE I would think. Hopefully similar to what the King/Riggs match did for girl's tennis in the 70's.
                    I don't think much at all, either you as a kid or your parents like hockey, therefore you play or attend. I can guarantee attendance at the playoff games this weekend will not get a bump, and if there was a huge wave of interest and support it would happen this weekend above all others.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I don't think much at all,
                      I hope I'm wrong, but I'm with Tim here. It wasn't on NBC during prime-time; It was on 'after bed time' for at least half the country, on a cable channel that lots of people don't get. How many people even saw it?

Comment

No, it's not, not while people are trying to credit Stauber as a coaching genius. Anybody with eyes could see the U.S. was outplayed for much of last night's game. They didn't even get a shot on net until seven minutes were gone in the game. The power play was anemic at best, they got overwhelmed in the second, and for most of the third it wasn't looking good either. Stauber didn't do anything right, and if USA Hockey keeps him, I expect the results of December through the round robin will be very common.
                        I thought they were tense, tentative or just out of sync for the first two periods of the game or so. They were a totally different team after M Lam scored. And the overtime? WOW, were they moving the puck! I'm certainly willing to give most of the credit to M Lam's goal for the change in play and to Rooney for the win. Stauber, not so much.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-22-2018, 01:03 PM. Reason: At least 2 periods

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          I thought they were tense, tentative or just out of sync for the first two periods of the game or so. They were a totally different team after M Lam scored. And the overtime? WOW, were they moving the puck! I'm certainly willing to give most of the credit to M Lam's goal for the change in play and to Rooney for the win. Stauber, not so much.
                          Yep, total agreement with this. The looked like the team from Plymouth in the OT for sure.

Comment

Except for a couple times during the first period I don't recall hearing what the SOG were.

Anybody know what they were at the end of each period or total at the end of regulation and in OT?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Except for a couple times during the first period I don't recall hearing what the SOG were.

Anybody know what they were at the end of each period or total at the end of regulation and in OT?
                              The stats on the Olympic site don't break it down by period but they have the total as 42-31 USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                                The stats on the Olympic site don't break it down by period but they have the total as 42-31 USA
                                Those floaters from far away that Szabados caught outfielder style shouldn't be included as actual shots on goal but I'm pretty sure they are based on the criterion of "If she wasn't there to stop them they might have dropped into the net." Quality shots were probably very even as was the whole game.

Comment

Working...
                                X