This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

At least one reviewer is less than enthused about King Arthur: the Legend of the Sword:

My first instinct, staggering out of a screening of “ King Arthur : Legend of the Sword,” was to blame the victim.

The victim in this case was me—though there will soon be many others as Guy Ritchie’s pox on Camelot infests the multiplexes. I felt soul-sick and brain-bruised, but also bewildered. Could the movie have been as vacant, joyless, incoherent, screw-loose and, not to put too fine a point on it, idiotic as I thought it was? I must have dozed, or failed to grasp crucial moments that held the whole thing together. But I didn’t doze, and, by the light of day, there was nothing to grasp, no sword of understanding to pull triumphantly from a stone. This latest retelling of the ancient Arthurian myth is a stinker for the ages.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      At least one reviewer is less than enthused about King Arthur: the Legend of the Sword:
      I'd recommend skip it, and go rent Excalibur.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Win It All:

Degenerate gambler hits rock bottom, but finds love along the way and straightens his life out. Not as rom-com as it sounds. It's actually rather accurate to how a degenerate thinks at times. Worth a time-kill, nothing more.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

American Experience: The War Of The Worlds:

Figured I'd put it here. About an hour long doc on WHY the broadcast worked in instilling fear in the American people. The background of what else was going on, the state of the economics in the US, how popular radio was, all the factors. Came away with a better understanding of the phenomenon, although I still am of the opinion that whoever believed it was not too bright. Relevant, too, in this day of fake news and alternative facts, and how humans perceive what they hear
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Figured I'd put it here. About an hour long doc on WHY the broadcast worked in instilling fear in the American people. The background of what else was going on, the state of the economics in the US, how popular radio was, all the factors. Came away with a better understanding of the phenomenon, although I still am of the opinion that whoever believed it was not too bright. Relevant, too, in this day of fake news and alternative facts, and how humans perceive what they hear
            Everyone knew the name Orson Welles after that.

What. A. Voice. BTW.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

My grandfather went to the roof of his tenement in the Bronx to see if the Martians were approaching.

Could something similar work today?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A lot of people tuned in halfway through, which caused a lot of the confusion. People that listened to the entire broadcast weren't duped.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Could something similar work today?
                  That's my point about the fake news and alt facts......it does work. And that's scary, given the technology we have today.....

And soh hit it partially on the head. Many other factors went into it, too.

Comment

That's my point about the fake news and alt facts......it does work. And that's scary, given the technology we have today.....

And soh hit it partially on the head. Many other factors went into it, too.
                    I fully believe this could happen today given the state of affairs.

I've always wanted to hear the original from orson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

https://youtu.be/Xs0K4ApWl4g
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

It really is amazing. The original story, to the broadcast, to the fallout. All of it has always intrigued me.

Comment

It really is amazing. The original story, to the broadcast, to the fallout. All of it has always intrigued me.
                          Same.
                          (You realize I like ya despite the other thread)

Comment

If you ever come to Princeton to watch a hockey game, Grovers Mill, NJ is just a hoot and a holler away. Just avoid the toxic waste dump.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Same.
                              (You realize I like ya despite the other thread)
                              I know. I separate politics from every other aspect in life. Same goes with religion.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                If you ever come to Princeton to watch a hockey game, Grovers Mill, NJ is just a hoot and a holler away. Just avoid the toxic waste dump.
                                Impossible - that's all of New Jersey.

Comment

Working...
                                X