Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
    Just saw on goblackbears.com, Cornell, Diamond and Nemec are Tri-captains for 2012-2013 season. Guess Joey is staying...Tim Ghandi must be taking his leadership style from the Football team....never have seen tri captains at this level, typical lack of definte action....... in any event, good kids and should help set tone..Nemec will be a 5th year sr, so hopefully brings maturity, Joey , if controlled , could bring a fire, Cornell has been a Captain before...should provide leadership on and off ice. Big question will be if Joe will commit to being the best he can be.....
    jimmy howard was named captain too

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Honestly, I don't think it will be that long. As long as they keep going strictly by math as best as possible to match up teams in the field, you're going to see some horrendously imbalanced brackets. Obviously we've seen decent Maine teams get through in 06 and 07 with horrendous brackets. This year had serious imbalance as well that Maine could have easily gone to the title game from had they been in the right spot.

So... all you gotta do is get in a few times and you'll probably see Maine get through at least once if not more out of a handfull of NCAA berths.
      That's possible, but I didn't see any bracket weak enough this year for that to have happened. (I'm betting on the Sox, BTW.)

Nice to see Joey back. I thought he made great strides with his discipline this past season. I expect his numbers to be down next year, but ya never know... If the Freshman class is as good as many seem to think it is, the points *might* be there.

All I really want to see in Orono is a decent D-corps coupled with an above-average 'tender. It's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        That's possible, but I didn't see any bracket weak enough this year for that to have happened. (I'm betting on the Sox, BTW.)

Nice to see Joey back. I thought he made great strides with his discipline this past season. I expect his numbers to be down next year, but ya never know... If the Freshman class is as good as many seem to think it is, the points *might* be there.

All I really want to see in Orono is a decent D-corps coupled with an above-average 'tender. It's been a while.
        Solid Goaltending and Solid Defense is the the only way this Team wins games next season...blue collar lunch pail style hockey...grind and check...and total team D will be needed. No room for error in there own end,if so...long nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Honestly, I don't think it will be that long. As long as they keep going strictly by math as best as possible to match up teams in the field, you're going to see some horrendously imbalanced brackets. Obviously we've seen decent Maine teams get through in 06 and 07 with horrendous brackets.
          Like playing Alaska and Yale to get to the Frozen Four...

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
            What a dope Necessity is!

Congrats to Joey, Mark and Mike!
            I stand , humbled by the scathing rebuke at the hands of the immortal BobF I didn't have the background on this being a mini tradition at Maine....still don't like the approach, but I have faith in the players to be leaders.....all bring different things a, experiences etc...my comments are not about their selection to formal leadership, but rather what I feel is a misguided approach, the "tradition" not withstanding...as to my question of joey's commitment...I felt he looked tired and had little stamina...I know he takes a pounding, but still, seemed like his off ice commitment didn't match his on ice.....IMHO, i could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              That's possible, but I didn't see any bracket weak enough this year for that to have happened.
              Well, that Bridgeport bracket was a steaming pile of crap again this year. No doubt Maine would have had a very good chance at advancing from that one if they were placed in there. Heck, they were a good team this year and really had an ok chance at coming out of a tough bracket with BC/UMD/AFA.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Like playing Alaska and Yale to get to the Frozen Four...
                Yep. (But Yale was somewhat validated with the win over North Dakota and BC obviously validated themselves by running a train on Miami and Wisconsin).

I mean seriously, we've seen Bemidji, RIT, Ferris and Union in the FF in the past 4 years. So I'm betting Maine will be getting back before long.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Bears absolutely right, having 3 C's is unheard of. Its a high school move. Pick one (Cornell??) and give the other 2 A's.

That's certainly what it was in '07. Michel Leveille was the captain, period. Soares and Lundin wore A's.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Mangene's scholarship money will be distributed among the seniors to help them and their families, unless an elite player is discovered in the off season. Article by Larry in today's BDN. I like the selection of these three players as captains, as Tim says in the article, each player brings something unique to the table. That's an understatement.

Comment

When I drove a company car with a phone number on the door it changed my driving habits. Maybe the C will similarly help Joey - keep the ferocity, lose the stupidity, be an example.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        When I drove a company car with a phone number on the door it changed my driving habits. Maybe the C will similarly help Joey - keep the ferocity, lose the stupidity, be an example.
                        Good analogy. My thoughts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                          again.
                          Flynn and ONeill had MANY more stupid, away-from-the puck penalties than Joey did, AND neither one ever got the opposition to throw them INTO their own goaltenders, equal to running the goalie, with the added benefit that THEY get sent to the box for it.

what did Joey do that was so stupid?
                          Joey plays like BU and MC and even Patrick Eaves, minus the attempted murder.

of course I was the ONLY one who said that Joey would be remember as one of Maine's best pure goal scorers, and I was "wrong" about that too.

(how many black bears led hockey east in regular season goal scoring? like 2... 4?? Ingraham and... not many)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                            Bears absolutely right, having 3 C's is unheard of. Its a high school move. Pick one (Cornell??) and give the other 2 A's.

That's certainly what it was in '07. Michel Leveille was the captain, period. Soares and Lundin wore A's.
                            so necessity is a "dope" but he was right.... at least for the Whitehead era... I am guessing

and googlebot forsyth posted erroneous information and is not a dope.
                            love it!

Comment

So I have got that going for me.....I'm a semi-dope, but literate.......in any event I hope they can get Joey more space, and put a bigger body( longer) down low,,,save wear and tear,,,,at least on PP

Comment

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
                                I stand , humbled by the scathing rebuke at the hands of the immortal BobF I didn't have the background on this being a mini tradition at Maine....still don't like the approach, but I have faith in the players to be leaders.....all bring different things a, experiences etc...my comments are not about their selection to formal leadership, but rather what I feel is a misguided approach, the "tradition" not withstanding...as to my question of joey's commitment...I felt he looked tired and had little stamina...I know he takes a pounding, but still, seemed like his off ice commitment didn't match his on ice.....IMHO, i could be wrong.
                                Well what you should have gleaned was that I was having fun with you witness the smiles. And yes Priceless did get it wrong in terms of the Leveille reference. So it is a first for Tim, BOSOX says it is a High School move. Don't know if he would have said the same when Shawn employed the same tactic. Last time was in '97-'98. Think my main point is no matter what TW does somehow it irks everyone the wrong way. KIA had a problem last year with the selection of the Captains and the Assistants. As it turned out they were all very good character kids who had good years and seemed to lead the team in the right direction. Tired of people jumping down the coaches throat at every opportunity and on something as small as going with Tri-Captains.

Happy to know I am immortal however, guess I'll cancel the rest of my Dr. appointments from this point forward!

Comment

Working...
                                X