X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
    Fortunately I think we're in the clear, for football you must have two years done (and a redshirted season) and the rules for basketball and hockey must be lower. To play in the NBA you need at least one season of NCAA "study" or go pro outside the US, hockey is different from football and basketball because you can go major junior/pro straight from high school.
    I'm not sure what happens to scholarships, but this is what happened to player eligibility as of 2010 (and I think it's the same now): http://gfmorris.net/2010/11/12/on-nc...sional-sports/

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DTuttle View Post
      Don't forget about Hubbs playing for Tulsa. He scored more goals last night than he did during his senior season!
      2 goals in 3 games! Wow. He sure wasn't very effective as a senior for UAA. Or coach doesn't know how to motivate his guys. Or he doesn't know how to get the most out of them.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        2 goals in 3 games! Wow. He sure wasn't very effective as a senior for UAA. Or coach doesn't know how to motivate his guys. Or he doesn't know how to get the most out of them.
        Or he is playing with better linemates on a better team.

Plus, he doesn't have to be the senior leader, in stupid penalties taken.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

I'm really hoping we don't hear that Mantha has signed with a pro team. I heard he was graduating this summer, and I am not sure he will be back. He has been the backbone of this team, I hope we see him next season.
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

And what "resources" are those, resources that UA_ has that UAA does not have? Hackett did a lot to improve the hockey program when he came in. The Farg is remodeled and is a beautiful workout facility for the team. He increased all of the coaches salaries. A big change from the prior AD, when possible, he does not schedule basketball games when there is a hockey game. He has really done a lot for hockey that people will never know about. What more do they need to do? They need to find the RIGHT COACH, and they just have not been able to do that yet. How the heck does FAIRBANKS out recruit us? It has nothing to do with our "resources" vs. their resources. They just have made smarter hiring decisions to their coaching staff. So, what do you suggest?
            You said it, THE RIGHT COACH! Not a good thing missing the playoffs three years in a row and AH finishing ahead of UAA. It is obvious that Matt Baileys leadership must be the reason we went to the WCHA finals four years ago, not the coaching. We only lost three players from that team and then the implosion started. Instead of building off of returning players, the obvious double standards for players and his recruits jammed in everybody's face hurt this team. How has that worked out? The compete level is there as these players have done this from a very young age and it is how they are wired. Add this with a good coach and you have a competitive team. It is evident this coach has bench management issues, cant seem to figure out line combinations, has trouble with situational play and who should be on the ice (just look at the power play) and the obvious double standards for players. Possibly his place should be in the lowly ECHL. Being good on the technical parts does not always make a good Coach/Manager/Teacher and has been proven over and over. This high priced coach is following the same trend as the other coaches UAA has had, and the league has weakened. On a positive note, he gives a good interview. (Concerned fan just wanting to see a competitive team on the ice.)

Comment

Originally posted by USCH1 View Post
              You said it, THE RIGHT COACH! Not a good thing missing the playoffs three years in a row and AH finishing ahead of UAA. It is obvious that Matt Baileys leadership must be the reason we went to the WCHA finals four years ago, not the coaching. We only lost three players from that team and then the implosion started. Instead of building off of returning players, the obvious double standards for players and his recruits jammed in everybody's face hurt this team. How has that worked out? The compete level is there as these players have done this from a very young age and it is how they are wired. Add this with a good coach and you have a competitive team. It is evident this coach has bench management issues, cant seem to figure out line combinations, has trouble with situational play and who should be on the ice (just look at the power play) and the obvious double standards for players. Possibly his place should be in the lowly ECHL. Being good on the technical parts does not always make a good Coach/Manager/Teacher and has been proven over and over. This high priced coach is following the same trend as the other coaches UAA has had, and the league has weakened. On a positive note, he gives a good interview. (Concerned fan just wanting to see a competitive team on the ice.)
              It's not just the coach, if you look at the previous head coaches (even Brush) they all had the same success level in the WCHA. I created a spreadsheet highlighting this, but wanted to add player progression (ie coaches recruits that went to play in the NHL/AHL/ECHL/etc.) so it's not complete. Despite the recent improvements, the hockey team ranks in the bottom half in anything a recruit looks at (except nature). Look at UAA's basketball teams, the volleyball team, they are succeeding and is not completely due to great coaches (Rusty is meh IMHO).
              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                It's not just the coach, if you look at the previous head coaches (even Brush) they all had the same success level in the WCHA. I created a spreadsheet highlighting this, but wanted to add player progression (ie coaches recruits that went to play in the NHL/AHL/ECHL/etc.) so it's not complete. Despite the recent improvements, the hockey team ranks in the bottom half in anything a recruit looks at (except nature). Look at UAA's basketball teams, the volleyball team, they are succeeding and is not completely due to great coaches (Rusty is meh IMHO).
                ECHL should not even be a factor. Many players that can play there don't want to. Percentage numbers for the AHL are small and chances for the NHL are about 1.5% of all players in the world and figure in the politics. In my opinion, hard to use your progression numbers to make a team competitive. Bemidji 0 draft picks and first in the WCHA, University of Michigan always loaded with draft picks and have struggled to make the playoffs, 2015 Union beats University of Minnesota who is loaded with draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by USCH1 View Post
                  2015 Union beats University of Minnesota who is loaded with draft picks.
                  You will win more drinks with this.

^WCHA First Round Playoffs

03/11/11 .... UAA.......W........4-3^
                  03/12/11 .... UAA.......W........2-0^
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                    You will win more drinks with this.

^WCHA First Round Playoffs

03/11/11 .... UAA.......W........4-3^
                    03/12/11 .... UAA.......W........2-0^
                    Unions was for the NCAA Championship. But I agree, the UAA wins were a great thing.

Comment

The SOG numbers suck!
                      Are those numbers available for the years Thomas has been the coach?
                      Has it been a steady decline?
                      Without an increase in SOG numbers the team is doomed to the same dismal results as this year.
                      Not looking for anyones head but something has to change.

Comment

Originally posted by fanpain2 View Post
                        The SOG numbers suck!
                        Yes they are.

That would be a good job for an fng,.......... so look it up and report back.

Without an increase in SOG numbers the team is doomed to the same dismal results as this year.
                        Not if you cut down their sog by 1000% you can win, just don’t let them score.

Not looking for anyone’s head but something has to change.
                        No no not you.
                        Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 03-07-2017, 02:59 AM.
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

The SOG numbers suck!
                          Not looking for anyones head but something has to change.
                          Stats don't look promising, that's for sure. I do agree that SOMETHING has to change, but what? I doubt Thomas would be replaced at this point, but he surely hasn't earned his paycheck.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Hearing there's some legislative intent language coming out to have UAA come down to 10 teams.
                            Where did you hear this? Nothing in the minutes from the BOR meeting about that.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Where did you hear this? Nothing in the minutes from the BOR meeting about that.
                              They like other people to do their dirty work so they can say we didn't do it.......... they made us.

Comment

Stats don't look promising, that's for sure. I do agree that SOMETHING has to change, but what? I doubt Thomas would be replaced at this point, but he surely hasn't earned his paycheck.
                                He has one the hardest sell jobs of any Wcha school if not the hardest sell job in college hockey.

No campus life to speak of and no help from rural community BoR.

Dry campus......UAC wet campus with bar sporting high test beer and wine with lowest prices in _airbanks.

No stipend expenditure to student athletes.

No student support.

As everybody but me sez... one of worst arena’s in America.

Rumors of program being dropped so village can survive.

With all going for you go. You go sign 2 lines of blue chippers I dare you.

Comment

Working...
                                X