X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    We've had hundreds, if not thousands of these. The only difference was the number of bodies.
    And we've taken on a new attitude on mental health, if anything. It is a start....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      And we've taken on a new attitude on mental health, if anything. It is a start....
      Huh? Taking any attitude about mental health would require spending actual dollars. Mental health is what gets brought up when white men kill to bypass discussing guns, then ignored when the budget gets addressed.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Huh? Taking any attitude about mental health would require spending actual dollars. Mental health is what gets brought up when white men kill to bypass discussing guns, then ignored when the budget gets addressed.
        Society has started to realized the various conditions and starting to treat them. Are we close to (for lack of better word) fixing the problem? No. But we are now making people aware of these issues and starting to look into treatments. Depression is the big one, that I have noticed. There are others out there, and it's a slow process. At least we are starting something.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Society has started to realized the various conditions and starting to treat them. Are we close to (for lack of better word) fixing the problem? No. But we are now making people aware of these issues and starting to look into treatments. Depression is the big one, that I have noticed. There are others out there, and it's a slow process. At least we are starting something.
          While it is a good thing that we are paying more attention to the problem of mental illness, we are never going to be able to understand, predict or prevent someone as mentally ill as the Vegas shooter from going off the deep end. Or at least we are far enough away from being able to you may as well say it is effectively never.

I get a kick out of the republicans who throw out there the same tired nonsense that it isn't about removing weapons like what were used in Vegas it's all about mental health care (as if they give a real fvck about health care anyway). It is naive to believe this person, who by all of the accounts we have heard from people allegedly close to him -- a brother, a girl friend -- never displayed real signs he was capable of such a murderous rampage could have been prevented from doing something horrific if he just had received the 2017 version of mental health care. We don't know enough about the human brain to understand what could make someone open fire on hundreds of strangers who were no threat to him and injure or kill hundreds. In 2017 the only way this massacre could have been prevented was if the means of killing so many people so quickly were unavailable. Period.

The truth is these things are going to keep happening. Over and over again. My guess is somewhere there is someone with the same level of mental illness who has been twisted into believing that there is some reason he (probably a he) needs to go on a rampage and kill dozens, or maybe hundreds of innocent people. In fact I'd be surprised if as much time passes before it happens again as happened between the Pulse Nightclub killings and what happened in Las Vegas. And whoever this person is, I bet there are people close to him who will express surprise and disbelief that he was capable of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            While it is a good thing that we are paying more attention to the problem of mental illness, we are never going to be able to understand, predict or prevent someone as mentally ill as the Vegas shooter from going off the deep end. Or at least we are far enough away from being able to you may as well say it is effectively never.

I get a kick out of the republicans who throw out there the same tired nonsense that it isn't about removing weapons like what were used in Vegas it's all about mental health care (as if they give a real fvck about health care anyway). It is naive to believe this person, who by all of the accounts we have heard from people allegedly close to him -- a brother, a girl friend -- never displayed real signs he was capable of such a murderous rampage could have been prevented from doing something horrific if he just had received the 2017 version of mental health care. We don't know enough about the human brain to understand what could make someone open fire on hundreds of strangers who were no threat to him and injure or kill hundreds. In 2017 the only way this massacre could have been prevented was if the means of killing so many people so quickly were unavailable. Period.

The truth is these things are going to keep happening. Over and over again. My guess is somewhere there is someone with the same level of mental illness who has been twisted into believing that there is some reason he (probably a he) needs to go on a rampage and kill dozens, or maybe hundreds of innocent people. In fact I'd be surprised if as much time passes before it happens again as happened between the Pulse Nightclub killings and what happened in Las Vegas. And whoever this person is, I bet there are people close to him who will express surprise and disbelief that he was capable of doing it.
            I understand and agree with your post. However, this happens 10, 20 years ago? We just dismiss as "crazy" and move along. I'd like to hope that we stopped another attack by recognizing some sort of sign, some sort of behavior, and getting that person some help.

Comment

I understand and agree with your post. However, this happens 10, 20 years ago? We just dismiss as "crazy" and move along. I'd like to hope that we stopped another attack by recognizing some sort of sign, some sort of behavior, and getting that person some help.
              Maybe we did stop an attack. We'll never know. But one thing we do know, no matter how crazy you are, if weapons like what this crazy man had access to were not available, the body count due to his break from reality would have been smaller. I want to punch someone in the throat when they say that there will always be something lethal a crazy person can grab. If this guy had a couple of semi auto Glocks or a crossbow, dozens of people who are now dead would be home with their families. And that is why the only way we can prevent this from happening is to prevent people from getting there hands on guns that can kill dozens or hundreds in 5 minutes. Sadly we live in a warped and backwards society where the people who scream the loudest about the sanctity of life (I'm looking at you out there in the pro-birth world) in fact value life less than they value 27 misguided and outdated words written by people who could never have conceived of either the kinds of mental illness the Las Vegas shooter suffered from, our of weapons that could fire 100s of rounds per minute and kill people from hundreds of yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                Maybe we did stop an attack. We'll never know. But one thing we do know, no matter how crazy you are, if weapons like what this crazy man had access to were not available, the body count due to his break from reality would have been smaller. I want to punch someone in the throat when they say that there will always be something lethal a crazy person can grab. If this guy had a couple of semi auto Glocks or a crossbow, dozens of people who are now dead would be home with their families. And that is why the only way we can prevent this from happening is to prevent people from getting there hands on guns that can kill dozens or hundreds in 5 minutes. Sadly we live in a warped and backwards society where the people who scream the loudest about the sanctity of life (I'm looking at you out there in the pro-birth world) in fact value life less than they value 27 misguided and outdated words written by people who could never have conceived of either the kinds of mental illness the Las Vegas shooter suffered from, our of weapons that could fire 100s of rounds per minute and kill people from hundreds of yards away.
                Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal. He slipped through the cracks. It's sad, but that will always happen. As far as banning anything...I'll offer this:
                Imagine that EVERY gun is gone in the US tomorrow. EVERY one. Poof, gone. We still border Canada and Mexico. How soon before guns are smuggled in. The US cannot stop drug/human trafficking. We're not gonna be able to stop gun trafficking.

In addition, I will say, more in-depth background checks are needed, loopholes closed. It won't stop someone like the LV guy, but it might stop 1 attack. And I'm good with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal
                  You are wrong. His guns were perfectly legal. There is nothing illegal about using a bump stock on a semi automatic assault rife.

Comment

Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal. He slipped through the cracks. It's sad, but that will always happen. As far as banning anything...I'll offer this:
                    Imagine that EVERY gun is gone in the US tomorrow. EVERY one. Poof, gone. We still border Canada and Mexico. How soon before guns are smuggled in. The US cannot stop drug/human trafficking. We're not gonna be able to stop gun trafficking.

In addition, I will say, more in-depth background checks are needed, loopholes closed. It won't stop someone like the LV guy, but it might stop 1 attack. And I'm good with that.
                    Again, that logic is incredibly tiring.

That we should do nothing at all to reduce the severity of mass deaths by making it a whole lot more difficult to do what that guy did.

The logic being evil will be evil, and we can't do anything about evil. So new things would be useless.

What's worse, most of the encouragement after things like this is that we should arm ourselves MORE. Great idea.

Have anyone noticed that the number killed in these things keeps going up in each incident? So the more we arm ourselves, the more that these evil people can kill at once. Great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Again, that logic is incredibly tiring.

That we should do nothing at all to reduce the severity of mass deaths by making it a whole lot more difficult to do what that guy did.

The logic being evil will be evil, and we can't do anything about evil. So new things would be useless.

What's worse, most of the encouragement after things like this is that we should arm ourselves MORE. Great idea.

Have anyone noticed that the number killed in these things keeps going up in each incident? So the more we arm ourselves, the more that these evil people can kill at once. Great idea.
                      Because that is what I said. Except I didn't.

Comment

Well, I heard one thing today that bothers me. Hotel Security in my mind screwed up. This guy had his room 36 hours straight in a "Do Not Disturb" mode. That bugs me. That sends up red flags in my mind. And that should have triggered an investigation of some sort. There was a hotel owner on Fox News Sunday that was talking about it and he said it would have triggered investigation in his hotel.

This could have been prevented.

They also interviewed the NRA. They're hopeless.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Well, I heard one thing today that bothers me. Hotel Security in my mind screwed up. This guy had his room 36 hours straight in a "Do Not Disturb" mode. That bugs me. That sends up red flags in my mind. And that should have triggered an investigation of some sort. There was a hotel owner on Fox News Sunday that was talking about it and he said it would have triggered investigation in his hotel.

This could have been prevented.

They also interviewed the NRA. They're hopeless.
                          Why would the "do not disturb" thing be a trigger? I rarely DON'T have that sign on my hotel room door.

Comment

Why would the "do not disturb" thing be a trigger? I rarely DON'T have that sign on my hotel room door.
                            For 36 hours? No bed turn down? No cleaning. No linens? Please. That's a red flag that something is going on.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              For 36 hours? No bed turn down? No cleaning. No linens? Please. That's a red flag that something is going on.
                              So, I check in on Thursday evening, and have "Do Not Disturb" until I check out on Sunday morning, I should be flagged? That doesn't sit right with me. And yes, I've done that before.

Comment

Same. I'll stay at a place all week for work and leave the sign on the door the whole time. Other than potentially more towels there really isn't anything else I need. I can make the bed and other cleaning stuff myself. I don't want to say I don't trust the housekeeping staff, but I'd rather them not go in my room. I guess its all personal preference.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X