Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    BREAKING: The Trump Commerce Department has revised its estimate of US economic growth down to 2.2 percent for the first quarter of 2018 — almost a point lower than the growth rate in last quarter of 2017 — as consumer spending plummets.
    No bueno...
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No bueno indeed.

If consumer spending is going down, why? Gas prices having impact?

The more logical answer would be cyclic. There hasn't been a market correction level recession of note since 2008. That's a historic run. And it has to correct at some point. The question is: what tools are in place to deal with it.
      Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-30-2018, 11:24 AM.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        No bueno indeed.

I’d have thought the tax breaks gave everyone so much more money to spend!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          No bueno indeed.

The price of credit is going up. The price of housing is going up. Grocery prices have been rising a lot in the past six months. The problem with those changes is that they're not covered in the official CPI calculation, and therefore not reported as inflationary pressures. Regardless, they eat into our discretionary spending budget for all other goods.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            The price of credit is going up. The price of housing is going up. Grocery prices have been rising a lot in the past six months. The problem with those changes is that they're not covered in the official CPI calculation, and therefore not reported as inflationary pressures. Regardless, they eat into our discretionary spending budget for all other goods.
            You pretty much nailed it. The end of record low mortgage rates signals an end of the free money era.

One of the hosts on WCCO brought up an interesting point. We’re now at a point where people just can’t afford the prices of homes and they’re facing a difficult decision between waiting for housing prices to come down and paying a higher interest rate or locking into something now that doesn’t fit what they need either today or in the future.

They also brought up something else that struck me. There’s a big crunch in starter homes now, even among people who wouldn’t normally be looking at one. People can’t afford that second home because of prices and they might not be able to afford it in the future with rising inflation and interest rates. So people trying to get out of that middle tier home are struggling to sell in some markets. So there’s an interesting thing going on with prices.

Regarding CPI, I’ve never understood why gas and staples aren’t included in CPI. Yes, they might be more volatile, but I think they reflect the true inflationary pressures in the economy.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Why do you think their merger would form a monopoly?
              Maybe it doesn't. I do think that this constant merger and acquisitions mode of growing corporations as large as they can go is bad for consumers, bad for innovations, and bad for the middle and lower class.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

But...…………………….I was promised 5%. Said it would be easy. The tax cuts would make sure of that.

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  But...…………………….I was promised 5%. Said it would be easy. The tax cuts would make sure of that.

I think my Federal is going down, but, without changes, I'm taking it up the wazoo from the State.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Regarding CPI, I’ve never understood why gas and staples aren’t included in CPI. Yes, they might be more volatile, but I think they reflect the true inflationary pressures in the economy.
                    I've thought about that, too, and have considered possible solutions, but have never looked to see if my possible solutions have been dismissed by the bigwigs in CPI calculations.

Gasoline and food prices are more volatile, but volatility can be counteracted, to some degree, by using a moving average calculation. The question then becomes, is that moving average for a long enough period of time, and would that period of time render moot the very goal we've set the purpose of the CPI?
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Agree. CPI should be stuff that is purchased weekly to monthly. That's what's really going on.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        You pretty much nailed it. The end of record low mortgage rates signals an end of the free money era.

One of the hosts on WCCO brought up an interesting point. We’re now at a point where people just can’t afford the prices of homes and they’re facing a difficult decision between waiting for housing prices to come down and paying a higher interest rate or locking into something now that doesn’t fit what they need either today or in the future.

They also brought up something else that struck me. There’s a big crunch in starter homes now, even among people who wouldn’t normally be looking at one. People can’t afford that second home because of prices and they might not be able to afford it in the future with rising inflation and interest rates. So people trying to get out of that middle tier home are struggling to sell in some markets. So there’s an interesting thing going on with prices.

I bought my home seven years ago for 270. Now worth 400. I’d like to move, but refuse to overpay for something. Sad that if I sell my house, it likely can’t be someone’s first house like it was mine.

Comment

I bought my home seven years ago for 270. Now worth 400. I’d like to move, but refuse to overpay for something. Sad that if I sell my house, it likely can’t be someone’s first house like it was mine.
                          Someone (neighbor/realtor) told me what mine would be worth on the market right now.
                          My response was cut me a check for that and give 90 days to get out.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Someone (neighbor/realtor) told me what mine would be worth on the market right now.
                            My response was cut me a check for that and give 90 days to get out.
                            With two dogs, I don’t know where to go- that’s my whole issue. Looked at a house in St. Louis park this weekend and am offended by how much they want for it

Comment

With two dogs, I don’t know where to go- that’s my whole issue. Looked at a house in St. Louis park this weekend and am offended by how much they want for it
                              It's been my experience, started shopping with an eye on moving next year, that prices don't really drop around here until you get outside of the 494/694 ring or are willing to move into a smaller, older home. Eagan is pretty expensive right now, and I think that's in large part thanks to the MN Vikings moving their training facility - a lot has been built already.

Comment

To throw some cold water, we bought in Spring 2006 at 239. In Spring 2008, we were valued at 400.

In Spring 2010, we were valued at... 239.

The only way you are going to not get the same market conditions on the buy end as the sell end is if you move a really significant "realty distance." This isn't necessarily physical distance (though it usually is) but it means you have to move from a hot market to a cold market, and those don't typically sit next door to each other for obvious reasons.

Our plan is to slingshot from DC in about 9 years to whichever of the ring burbs around Phoenix is coldest at the time. The hope is that you eejits keep the wars going to keep our local economy booming (And it really has been. You know how the rest of the country has stalled real middle class wealth? Ha! Not us!) just long enough to get the f-ck outta Dodge. It can crash the week after for all I care. Just not the week before.

Remember too that the sell and buy price evaluated alone don't matter at all. Your loan lives in the space between.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 05-30-2018, 02:47 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X