Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    In his post-game interview Brad Frost almost seemed mad (not quite, but almost!).

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...gn=GopherDaily
    YIKES! That is about as 'angry' as I have ever seen him. I thought they looked gassed in the third, he apparently does not agree!

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      YIKES! That is about as 'angry' as I have ever seen him. I thought they looked gassed in the third, he apparently does not agree!
      In the clip he mentions wanting them to play with emotion in the third but I get the feeling he was unhappy well before the third period.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        In the clip he mentions wanting them to play with emotion in the third but I get the feeling he was unhappy well before the third period.
        As he should have been. His team had more shots in the 3rd (14) than in the first two combined (12).

I'm sure all Gopher fans here will join Coach Frost in expecting a more spirited performance this weekend as the team closes out the first half.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          so why then allow play to continue if no subsequent goal counts? me thinks you are reading or repeating something wrong.
          Maybe you should post where you are getting your rules from and let people decide for themselves.
          This exact situation happened to the Minnesota Men in an NCAA game, I believe it was against BC in 08.

The Gophers fired a shot that hit the back of the net and sharply bounced back out, but the ref ruled no goal and play continued. Presumably the ref didn't stop play because he believed he got the call right. There wasn't another whistle/stoppage until about 4 minutes later, when BC got the puck past the Gopher goalie. Since that was the first stoppage, it was the first opportunity for the refs to review the Minnesota goal/no goal. After review, Minnesota's goal was awarded, BC's goal was wiped out, and the clock was rolled back to the time on the clock when Minnesota as if nothing after that point happened.

If after review, the refs original call of no goal had stood, then all subsequent play, including BC's goal would have counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            This exact situation happened to the Minnesota Men in an NCAA game, I believe it was against BC in 08.

The Gophers fired a shot that hit the back of the net and sharply bounced back out, but the ref ruled no goal and play continued. Presumably the ref didn't stop play because he believed he got the call right. There wasn't another whistle/stoppage until about 4 minutes later, when BC got the puck past the Gopher goalie. Since that was the first stoppage, it was the first opportunity for the refs to review the Minnesota goal/no goal. After review, Minnesota's goal was awarded, BC's goal was wiped out, and the clock was rolled back to the time on the clock when Minnesota as if nothing after that point happened.

If after review, the refs original call of no goal had stood, then all subsequent play, including BC's goal would have counted.
            Thanks for the other example, makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              He wasn't that angry (and yes, I saw your quotes). I've seen when he's been very unhappy with them, and this wasn't it. I do remember a couple of trips to Bemidji, like when the Sanford Center was new, where he didn't think much of his team's effort.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post

I was at this game! The best part was all of us BC fans absolutely knew that it was a goal even it happened -- it was crystal clear. Then as the minutes dragged on it was funnier and funnier because there were only like 2 minutes left on the clock when BC "scored." We all knew the goal wasn't going to count and the clock was going to be rolled back. We barely even celebrated. I was in the band so we sort of had to play the fight song but we knew it was going to be overturned.

It was fine because the game wasn't really that close (I think that brought the Gophers within 2 maybe with a few minutes left) so it was pretty funny to us at the time.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  He wasn't that angry (and yes, I saw your quotes). I've seen when he's been very unhappy with them, and this wasn't it. I do remember a couple of trips to Bemidji, like when the Sanford Center was new, where he didn't think much of his team's effort.
                  Bethany Brausen told a story of showing up to practice after one of those games. I seem to recall her saying there were no colored jerseys or pucks, just a lot of skating. Maybe they were doing herbies
                  Last edited by KTDC; 12-05-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    Maybe running through the 'cases' would clarify:

If the shot under subsequent review is ruled a goal, then can either team score a subsequent goal prior to the whistle and review?
                    If the shot under subsequent review is ruled no-goal, then can either team score a goal prior to the whistle and review?

I think Eeyore is saying if the shot is ruled a goal, then no subsequent goal can be scored; but if the shot is ruled a no-goal, then a subsequent goal can be scored and counted. But nobody knows which condition is in effect until the review is conducted, so play goes on.
                    Thank you , I am beginning to think Eeyore really is a lawyer, the ability to make the simple incomprehensible.
                    This has to be one of the dumbest rules in sports, it has the effect of penalizing the scored upon team as a result of the official making an incorrect call, putting them in a situation somewhat similar to a delayed penalty. They are in a lose - lose situation, meanwhile the other team can only win.
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-05-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      But to be fair you see him a lot more than I do & a lot closer to the final horn. That said, I appreciate his normally reserved demeanor even if his post game clips are really boring because of it. It is interesting trying to read between the lines sometimes but I have always sensed he has a side he does not show us. He said he has been having easy practices because they have not had a week off since the opening game, something tells me that won't be the case in the future.
                      Last edited by ne7minder; 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM. Reason: spellin

Comment

Saw this on Channel 5 sports earlier.

Led by Future Gopher, Hill-Murray Girls Hockey Seeks Another Late-Season Run
                        http://kstp.com/sports/hill-murray-g...695676/?cat=81

Comment

Disappointing result tonight for Minnesota fans, which twice saw their team give up two goal leads. It's doubly frustrating when one of your senior captains takes a very unnecessary slashing penalty with 6 minutes to go, allowing the Bulldogs to tie it a minute later on the power play. It looked like the Gophers had tired legs in the 3rd period, giving up all 3 of UMD's goals while getting outshot 11-6. Another game where one bad period cost the Gophers a win.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Disappointing result tonight for Minnesota fans, which twice saw their team give up two goal leads. It's doubly frustrating when one of your senior captains takes a very unnecessary slashing penalty with 6 minutes to go, allowing the Bulldogs to tie it a minute later on the power play. It looked like the Gophers had tired legs in the 3rd period, giving up all 3 of UMD's goals while getting outshot 11-6. Another game where one bad period cost the Gophers a win.
                            Certainly a discouraging third period and loss. But I am looking forward to coming back for more this afternoon Hopefully our team plays a great game today and I really would like to see us finish 2017 off with a win!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              Certainly a discouraging third period and loss. But I am looking forward to coming back for more this afternoon Hopefully our team plays a great game today and I really would like to see us finish 2017 off with a win!
                              And hopefully we'll see Pieper, Gunderson and Smith at least a couple of times during the game, other than on the bench I mean. Unless there is an issue with one or more of them that I don't know anything about.
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                And hopefully we'll see Pieper, Gunderson and Smith at least a couple of times during the game, other than on the bench I mean. Unless there is an issue with one or more of them that I don't know anything about.
                                You got your wish. I didn't think MN looked 5 goals better tonight but they looked better than last night. The towards played better D and the D played better all around. Stuff that didn't work for the forwards last night worked today. It was a great way to end 17.

Comment

Working...
                                X