Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Obviously, especially with a coaching change, nothing is a given. That said, I’d expect to see Burchill on the ice more this season.

Ian Williams left school to address a personal issue. I know he’s been keeping in contact with the guys. Anything I could say on his return would be purely speculation.
    How much confidence do you have in NU’s ability and willingness to recruit, hire, and retain another successful men’s ice hockey coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
      How much confidence do you have in NU’s ability and willingness to recruit, hire, and retain another successful men’s ice hockey coach?
      100%

I firmly believe Mike McShane will handpick the next coach

Comment

Next time we run into each other, let’s chat about this*. I have some insight...

Worth noting, Erickson and Burchill are AFA transfers. Erickson is a civvie at Norwich, while Burchill is in the Corps. Erickson (I’m told) didn’t want to do “Rookdom” at NU, having already done the equivalent at AF. Burchill opted to go through Rookdom again (essentially).

*the recruiting model
        Sounds like a plan.

I know it's not as simple as it sounds, especially with money involved (academies being free rides to some of the top schools in the country, the other SMCs all being state schools). But I'm certainly interested in hearing your insight.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          Sounds like a plan.

I know it's not as simple as it sounds, especially with money involved (academies being free rides to some of the top schools in the country, the other SMCs all being state schools). But I'm certainly interested in hearing your insight.
          The big issue with this is the fact that the NCAA rule is that the student has to contact the new school. Receiving schools can't make the initial contact with potential transfers. There have been some changes in those rules recently, but I believe it is still the case that the first contact has to be by the student.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Sad to see Mcshane go but we were blessed to have him for so many years. Tough to really guess who is coming in next...Dawes was my first thought as well but Stevenson is an up and coming program that I just can't see him leaving...that being said, who really knows.

Whatever the case the new Coach and team will be thrown on the hot seat early: Endicott, Skidmore, Hobart, Umass-Boston, Babson, Adrian, Middlebury/Plattsburgh to start the year......ouch.

Confident they will find the right guy though and very glad to hear McShane is sticking around to aid in that search/transition.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
              Sad to see Mcshane go but we were blessed to have him for so many years. Tough to really guess who is coming in next...Dawes was my first thought as well but Stevenson is an up and coming program that I just can't see him leaving...that being said, who really knows.

Whatever the case the new Coach and team will be thrown on the hot seat early: Endicott, Skidmore, Hobart, Umass-Boston, Babson, Adrian, Middlebury/Plattsburgh to start the year......ouch.

Confident they will find the right guy though and very glad to hear McShane is sticking around to aid in that search/transition.
              Hadn't thought about how tough the beginning of the schedule was until right now...definitely a baptism by fire for the new coach.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Hadn't thought about how tough the beginning of the schedule was until right now...definitely a baptism by fire for the new coach.
                I thought you had JWU/Suffolk early in the NEHC schedule?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I thought you had JWU/Suffolk early in the NEHC schedule?
                  They are the weekend right after the Primelink.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Very talented, and fairly experienced, “young” team. Pretty good situation for a new coach to come in to.

Comment

Very talented, and fairly experienced, “young” team. Pretty good situation for a new coach to come in to.
                      When there’s a coaching change of this magnitude shortly after the “commitment window” closes, is this often perceived as the old “bait and switch?” How does the staff deal with potential anger / anxiety from the recruits? I recall hearing McShane say he spoke with all the recruits, but he didn’t offer much more than that. What’s been the team’s reaction?

Comment

When there’s a coaching change of this magnitude shortly after the “commitment window” closes, is this often perceived as the old “bait and switch?” How does the staff deal with potential anger / anxiety from the recruits? I recall hearing McShane say he spoke with all the recruits, but he didn’t offer much more than that. What’s been the team’s reaction?
                        New coach calls all the incoming recruits and tells them he wants them. Also calls returnees and introduces himself and gives a brief spiel on how important they are for the continued success of Norwich hockey.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I don’t think there was any nefarious intent on anyone’s part, nor any desire to deceive. Coach said he talked to all the incoming recruits and they were all satisfied with what he had to say. The team is currently scattered all over the continent for summer vacation, so I don’t know if anyone could accurately assess their reaction as a group.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                            This was the almost the literal exact wording of the second line of my post that i typed out and deleted just to keep it short and sweet.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                              Was the expectation that this was possible the reason for some players who seemed headed for NU ending up elsewhere - like the school by the ocean?
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                Was the expectation that this was possible the reason for some players who seemed headed for NU ending up elsewhere - like the school by the ocean?
                                $$$$$$????
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X