X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/s...stos.html?_r=1

Good article, especially the part on why "most" here feel a smaller school like RPI should be able to find enough talent to be competitive again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I just voted on a proxy against Shirley who is an member of the Board of Directors of a company where I own some stock. Too bad that my vote is about as unimportant as my vote for President in DC.
      #TheResistance
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post

Good article, especially the part on why "most" here feel a smaller school like RPI should be able to find enough talent to be competitive again.
        Great article, MSU situation sounds very familiar, including the contract extension.
        But my biggest takeaway from this is that there are going to be two more schools looking for coaches. We need to move in a hurry.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post

True to some extent. It's still the funding and the right coach to find talent and get a team to gel. It's not always about the star player, it's about the ones that fit together.

Only part not true is Mel going to UofM, though I have been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Great article, MSU situation sounds very familiar, including the contract extension.
            But my biggest takeaway from this is that there are going to be two more schools looking for coaches. We need to move in a hurry.
            My gut feeling is that Michigan and MSU won't be looking at the same coaches as RPI, just like they usually don't look at the same plsyers we do. However if they pilfer a coach from another school, then that school may be our competition. So I agree that we have to use the lead time which we have.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Any fans going to Northern Ireland for the Friendship Four? I see where Maine has employed a travel agency to offer a week long stay and sight see.

Comment

"You bring a recruit in and show him the XL Center on a nice sunny day. That can be enticing. You bring that same recruit to Storrs and he sees the beautiful football facility and the beautiful basketball facility. And then he sees little, outdated Freitas, with players stretching in the lobby, and he has to really wonder where the school's priorities fall?"

Source - http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...304-story.html

My point precisely re:HFH Need more of a committment folks.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  "You bring a recruit in and show him the XL Center on a nice sunny day. That can be enticing. You bring that same recruit to Storrs and he sees the beautiful football facility and the beautiful basketball facility. And then he sees little, outdated Freitas, with players stretching in the lobby, and he has to really wonder where the school's priorities fall?"

RPI has new FB and BB facilities but any recruit can see that they aren't up to D-I standards.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI has new FB and BB facilities but any recruit can see that they aren't up to D-I standards.
                    You're correct. I think a recruit would see that EVAC is more of a priority than the HFH though. It's perception and that's a big deal in recruiting. Most hockey players if not all come from wealthy families, they like state of the art. I love Troy and grew up in HFH: just the reality.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

If this is the problem, where was Appert on it? How much did he advocate for funding/building renovation, etc?

As others have already said, while there may be better facilities out there, there are worse ones too.

Comment

You're correct. I think a recruit would see that EVAC is more of a priority than the HFH though. It's perception and that's a big deal in recruiting. Most hockey players if not all come from wealthy families, they like state of the art. I love Troy and grew up in HFH: just the reality.
                        We COULD show them the half-mile walk from the ice down to the training facilities at the Armory...

Comment

Well, that is another problem. Troy isn't state of the art either.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            We COULD show them the half-mile walk from the ice down to the training facilities at the Armory...
                            At least it is uphill in only one direction.

Seriously, I thought that the training facilities were in the ECAV.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              If the recruit is good they will get exposure, doesn't matter where you play it matters who the coaches know and how much they can develop a player.

Academics should not be touched, they fit in or they don't. There is a reason they have major juniors etc.

One can argue that HALF the programs don't win. So you recruit on getting playing time, building something and a great degree.

NHL aspirations? Few for many teams, question is can you develop your players, and I think there are a few nearby programs that have been successful with NO NHL players on them.

You can argue what you like about the HFH, great old barn, team wins it will be packed. Team doesn't it won't. Will some recruits look at it and say no way? Possible but if that's the kind of recruit the coach is looking at he is not the right guy.

Look around, the formula is out there, been done before and will again. It comes down to, getting the right coaches, is the hockey culture there, and does the team get the proper funding it needs.
                              This is so spot on I thought I posted it when I saw it.

Comment

At least it is uphill in only one direction.

Seriously, I thought that the training facilities were in the ECAV.
                                They are.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X