X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Also, I do think that when the NFL moved the Super Bowl to the first Sunday in February, it affected the Beanpot a bit. Part of the allure of the Beanpot was that there was nothing in February from a sports perspective.
    I thought of this last night, and realized that the 3rd Monday in February is a holiday for most people, which would make the 4:30 time slot the 2nd night easier for many people if it was moved to the 2nd and 3rd Mondays.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      I thought of this last night, and realized that the 3rd Monday in February is a holiday for most people, which would make the 4:30 time slot the 2nd night easier for many people if it was moved to the 2nd and 3rd Mondays.
      Yes, but the consolation final at a more convenient time is not going to be an attendance game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Yes, but the consolation final at a more convenient time is not going to be an attendance game changer.
        Correct, but moving the first week out of the shadow of the Super Bowl and the 2nd week to a holiday could help. Granted Garden might not want to give a holiday date to college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          Correct, but moving the first week out of the shadow of the Super Bowl and the 2nd week to a holiday could help. Granted Garden might not want to give a holiday date to college hockey.
          Absolutely. Even without the Pats in it, that is 2 late nights in a row for a lot of people....

Comment

Mookie had no choice but to watch on the app (which is fruking awesome!!! Best picture off the web evah!!!)
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Popping over from the NU thread to say I agree with the second and third Mondays idea. Just looking at the calendar, Disney on Ice is there, which I should have known. Since they run shows starting at like noon I would bet the holiday is among their bigger days of the run.

Comment

The crowd at the first night of the Beanpot was a huge disappointment. The TD Garden was less than half full for both games.
                I am not sure what the official attendance was, but if there were more than 8,000 total, I would be very surprised.
                The Beanpot used to be one of the toughest tickets in town. There were whole sections in the upper deck without a single soul.
                Are the prices too high? Has the event lost its luster??
                If there are going to be that many empty seats, I hope they are not perpetuating a fib that you can't get a ticket. You don't need to know someone anymore. You don't have to make a donation to your school. Just walk up to the box office before the game and put down your money.
                If it is a TD Garden event -- and not a four schools event -- they should be marketing the empty seats at each of the four schools' games leading up to the event.
                Snooks Kelley used to say the "Beanpot was an annual sporting and social must."
                They need to take steps to make it that again.

Comment

I saw a ticket from '78 the other day that was priced at $2.50. I don't know what the inflation is for the last 40 years, but I'm going to assume it isn't 2000%, which is probably what it costs to get the $35 Ticketmaster get-in price after they're done adding fees at the end. When you can get Bruins tickets in the same sections for 40-50 bucks on Stubhub (for games nobody cares about, but still) and see one of the best teams in pro hockey, who would buy a Beanpot ticket for any reason besides personal investment in the schools?
                  Last edited by TheRevengeance; 02-06-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    The crowd at the first night of the Beanpot was a huge disappointment. The TD Garden was less than half full for both games.
                    I am not sure what the official attendance was, but if there were more than 8,000 total, I would be very surprised.
                    The Beanpot used to be one of the toughest tickets in town. There were whole sections in the upper deck without a single soul.
                    Are the prices too high? Has the event lost its luster??
                    If there are going to be that many empty seats, I hope they are not perpetuating a fib that you can't get a ticket. You don't need to know someone anymore. You don't have to make a donation to your school. Just walk up to the box office before the game and put down your money.
                    If it is a TD Garden event -- and not a four schools event -- they should be marketing the empty seats at each of the four schools' games leading up to the event.
                    Snooks Kelley used to say the "Beanpot was an annual sporting and social must."
                    They need to take steps to make it that again.
                    1. Prices are too high. For the casual fan who might be willing to do a college hockey tournament instead of a Bruins game, I'm not sure there is that much in the way of cost savings any more.
                    2. Fan base is dwindling. I wish it wasn't the case, but I think it is across all sports, not just hockey, and not just college hockey. We live in a different world thanks to electronics and social media, etc. (I know, I sound like a grumpy old man). Too many other interests, actually dedicating 2.5 hours to doing one thing without it involving "other" things (distractions) is a tough sell. I think all sports are going to feel this pain in another 10 years.

It would never happen (well not for a long time), but imagine the atmosphere of a Beanpot at an arena like Agganis. All of a sudden, you have hard to get tickets again, much louder fans and bands.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I don't think the ticket price is a problem. $45 for loge seats to TWO games? Hard to top that. Maybe they need something for the upper few rows of the balcony like they do for HECs, but the tickets they cut the prices for are the upper rows at the ends of the balcony and those fill up with students. Yeah, maybe the parking/concessions/etc turns some people off but it's still a better deal than a Bruins game.

I missed the first 4 minutes of NU's game for the first time in ages, I had to work and couldn't get out in time to make it there for the 5:10 start. I also left in the 3rd period of the late game. I agree with those who think holding it the day after Super Bowl Sunday hurts. There are plenty of weeks I'd have stayed later but after getting home around 11:30 on Sunday I wasn't going to be stuck there for OT. As much as I love the Monday tradition it does make for a rough start to the work week when you're out that late and still have four days to go. The first Monday is especially rough with TV timeouts for both games and the 5:10 start.

Comment

It is a viscous circle too. The lack of crowd / atmosphere makes it even less exciting to be there and i would think makes some people less likely to attend next year.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                          I don't think the ticket price is a problem. $45 for loge seats to TWO games? Hard to top that. Maybe they need something for the upper few rows of the balcony like they do for HECs, but the tickets they cut the prices for are the upper rows at the ends of the balcony and those fill up with students. Yeah, maybe the parking/concessions/etc turns some people off but it's still a better deal than a Bruins game.

I missed the first 4 minutes of NU's game for the first time in ages, I had to work and couldn't get out in time to make it there for the 5:10 start. I also left in the 3rd period of the late game. I agree with those who think holding it the day after Super Bowl Sunday hurts. There are plenty of weeks I'd have stayed later but after getting home around 11:30 on Sunday I wasn't going to be stuck there for OT. As much as I love the Monday tradition it does make for a rough start to the work week when you're out that late and still have four days to go. The first Monday is especially rough with TV timeouts for both games and the 5:10 start.
                          day after super bowl def hurts. 2 back to back late nights; work/ study, everything else going on .. would be great if powers that be can look at this in coming years. move it a week or so long as bruins/ garden can accomodate.

usa hockey can chime in as well. they want to organically grow this thing/ expand etc.. throw some weight behind this to the powers.
                          great event; hopefully will be some better numbers for the finals. & hopefully some better numbers on the scoreboard for nu as well..
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post

What do they charge for student tickets. BU had 2.5 sections filled with students. I wonder if a lower price point for students could turn that into 3.5 or 4?

As to concessions they are very expensive. I'm not too happy paying $12 for a bud light. And the new "no cash" lines were kind of annoying.

Comment

I had a different thought. Could the NFL move the Super Bowl to Saturday Night? The teams will have had 13 days to prepare. That should be enough time. Then America has all day and night Sunday to recover and go back to work on Monday. I'm not an advertising guy but is airtime on Sunday that much better than airtime on Saturday? That also creates a night off between the Super Bowl and the Beanpot for us (though I know the NFL really doesn't consider us/the Beanpot as something to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                                I had a different thought. Could the NFL move the Super Bowl to Saturday Night? The teams will have had 13 days to prepare. That should be enough time. Then America has all day and night Sunday to recover and go back to work on Monday. I'm not an advertising guy but is airtime on Sunday that much better than airtime on Saturday? That also creates a night off between the Super Bowl and the Beanpot for us (though I know the NFL really doesn't consider us/the Beanpot as something to worry about.
                                ha, ha... we're not even fodder on their radar...
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X