Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    cause thats what college hockey needs...another league...so then what? the UP schools, BSU and the Alaska schools can have a league together? YAY
    I could be completely mistaken, but I think it's more of a name change rather than a new conference.

What I've seen proposed, and what I wouldn't mind seeing, is: Assuming the NCHC doesn't want to expand the number of teams in the conference (because less money amongst schools for TV deals & such), they allow ASU and MNSU to join, and waive the fee to leave the conference to Miami and WMU.

Miami and WMU petition to join the WCHA and are accepted. Other than the addition of UAA & BSU and the lack of the B1G teams, we have the old CCHA. From there I think the idea would be to rename the conference back to the CCHA, though that would be unnecessary, though it would free up the WCHA brand, so maybe the NCHC reforms as the WCHA, as it would essentially be the old WCHA, Things more or less go back to how they were pre-realignment.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
      I could be completely mistaken, but I think it's more of a name change rather than a new conference.

What I've seen proposed, and what I wouldn't mind seeing, is: Assuming the NCHC doesn't want to expand the number of teams in the conference (because less money amongst schools for TV deals & such), they allow ASU and MNSU to join, and waive the fee to leave the conference to Miami and WMU.

Miami and WMU petition to join the WCHA and are accepted. Other than the addition of UAA & BSU and the lack of the B1G teams, we have the old CCHA. From there I think the idea would be to rename the conference back to the CCHA, though that would be unnecessary, though it would free up the WCHA brand, so maybe the NCHC reforms as the WCHA, as it would essentially be the old WCHA, Things more or less go back to how they were pre-realignment.
      I would be very surprised if any of this happens.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

As much as I like this idea, there's a couple things:

1. I don't think 8 or 10 matters to the NCHC. The league doesn't make any money on TV. They make a little bit on the conference tournament, but have never made enough to send any of it back to the schools. The only money the league gives back to the schools comes from NCHC.tv, and that is already proportioned based on subscriber affiliation.

2. Even if the fee was waived, I'm not sure Miami and Western Michigan would go back. They'd save some on travel(not as much if the A schools are still around), but it would be perceived as a major step backwards for their programs.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

BGSU is in the playoffs after their win last night coupled with losses by UAA and LSSU.

BSU would be in tonight with a win at UAH regardless of UAA's result, as they have the B tiebreaker.

MTU would be in with a win tonight and losses by LSSU and UAA.

Haha, Beavers.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

FSU's Andrew Mayer is suspended for tonight.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Here's video of the hit that drew the suspension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIIHRz1jZ0
              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

BGSU and NMU are 18 and 19 in the Pairwise and playing some good hockey. Dare we dream of MORE than 2 NCAA bids?

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  FSU's Andrew Mayer is suspended for tonight.

GFM
                  It's the worst hit of the season and worst that I can remember. I hope he gets the rest of the year off. I hated watching him celebrate afterward.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    It's the worst hit of the season and worst that I can remember. I hope he gets the rest of the year off. I hated watching him celebrate afterward.
                    It was nowhere close to as nefarious as Brennan Salunier's hit against MSU earlier this season. That hit drew a multi-game suspension.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post

I think ASU is headed to the NCHC, but who goes with them? Bemidji & Tech should be in the conversation with BG and MSU. Tech is probably out along with BG just from distance wise. Bemidji is in the epicenter of ND, Duluth, and SCSU. If they are counting their pennies then yes WMU and Miami are gone.

WCHA would then be in a tight spot losing one of their best schools and adding another mid-tier school. Shifting travel from a school in Minnesota to Michigan/Ohio will hurt a league that is starting to drown in the red. The WCHA could be forced to oust the Alaska's and UAH to stay afloat.

Which might be better for us to get the boot, between cashing the big schools checks and maybe providing travel subsidies our bottom line could greatly improve. Think BYU but without the tv deal.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        It was nowhere close to as nefarious as Brennan Salunier's hit against MSU earlier this season. That hit drew a multi-game suspension.
                        Salunier is also a repeat offender...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          I think ASU is headed to the NCHC, but who goes with them? Bemidji & Tech should be in the conversation with BG and MSU. Tech is probably out along with BG just from distance wise. Bemidji is in the epicenter of ND, Duluth, and SCSU. If they are counting their pennies then yes WMU and Miami are gone.

WCHA would then be in a tight spot losing one of their best schools and adding another mid-tier school. Shifting travel from a school in Minnesota to Michigan/Ohio will hurt a league that is starting to drown in the red. The WCHA could be forced to oust the Alaska's and UAH to stay afloat.

Which might be better for us to get the boot, between cashing the big schools checks and maybe providing travel subsidies our bottom line could greatly improve. Think BYU but without the tv deal.
                          If we lose MSU and BSU for Miami and western, travel will get better, not worse...I mean it will get worse for MTU but not the rest of the league.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            Here's video of the hit that drew the suspension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIIHRz1jZ0
                            JFC, what was that, about 6 strides across the ice, and a borderline blindside? What a dickbag.

EDIT: Garbage like that is just another reason for high-skill players to avoid this league. Might as well just start calling it the SPHL.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              JFC, what was that, about 6 strides across the ice, and a borderline blindside? What a dickbag.

EDIT: Garbage like that is just another reason for high-skill players to avoid this league. Might as well just start calling it the SPHL.
                              Why would you call it the SPHL?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                If we lose MSU and BSU for Miami and western, travel will get better, not worse...I mean it will get worse for MTU but not the rest of the league.
                                MTU and us in the Great White North. Where does ASU go? The NCHC will be odd numbered?
                                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X