Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    You'll be there. New venue for you, only game that week, yeah you will be there. It will be so fun when they win! Somethings you just gotta do.
    hahah STOP!!!! I've already been over to Hotels.com...that's usually the death knell along with the rationalizing (only one game; yup...) good friends from Ct are going...arghhhhh!! and of course I could wear my new Kevin Goumas jersey I just shelled out a couple of weeks worth of food for...
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-18-2017, 02:55 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Well, I count five games in November. Likely to be 2-3 when all is said and done.

Not to mention that "gauntlet" should never be used in the same sentence as UMass and Yale.

And what presents does December bring? Seven games (only two outside of the Granite State) against teams with a combined record of 23-29-6. In all likelihood, the December opposition will have lost more than 30 games before the turkey is carved.

Only Providence can even make a face like a Division One college hockey team, and as I mentioned before the 'Cats get them following their trip to Ireland.

The level of competition is so bad in December that Matt Dawson might even get into a game.
      All cupcakes; yum, yum, yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        All cupcakes; yum, yum, yum!
        Watch yourself now....you know how much trouble you got into last time with that cupcake talk!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIeu8VMzAEE
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-18-2017, 03:39 PM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH now 20th in PWR, but cupcake NU also out of tournament now at 17th; only cupcakes BC and PC in (as of today, of course). Down year for HEA, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            UNH now 20th in PWR, but cupcake NU also out of tournament now at 17th; only cupcakes BC and PC in (as of today, of course). Down year for HEA, for sure.
            ...and we fall back to 6th in the HE standings. Still lots of hockey to be played; goal is to be top 4 but that's a tall order (would be great tho). Gotta put the puck in the net. Anyway, wonder where we will be rankings wise tomorrow. UNH needs a big W this weekend to get back on track even though doubt it helps a ton PWR. That being said of course I decided to bite the bullet and made plans to go to the game (you knew I would...I mean, new arena, friends from CT there, how could I refuse???) One game at a time. Go 'Cats!!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wow ... lose three on the trot, the feel-good factor goes bye-bye, and it's "Hello Page Two". Bummer.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Wow ... lose three on the trot, the feel-good factor goes bye-bye, and it's "Hello Page Two". Bummer.
                At least right now we are still a ranked team! PWR not so much and that's the real effect of losing 3 straight. We're pg 2 because I just don't think most fans wanna come on here and talk about the team, etc. I wish more people would post...surely they are going to the games and have opinions of what's going on.

And nothing at all personal to you veteran fans, seems like the past is discussed more than the present. Sure, the past is more colorful and has big games to recall and the last few years haven't been stellar, but we 'still have a hockey season going on' (sound familiar?) Again, nothing personal. Whatever keeps us on pg 1 and I enjoy learning about what was what. Hope in my fandom I get a chance to see the 'Cats win a HE title, etc, etc.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Folks I am not ready to write off this UNH team (as you'd expect) and I'm not saying anyone here is either. However I am concerned that our top line and over all goal production in the last 3 games has certainly been lacking; PP hasn't produced much of anything. It's obvious that someone on that top line needs to step up and be a playmaker. To be fair both Grasso and Charlie K have been dealing with injuries which have to affect them. On paper this is still a young team that I believe will progressively get better but the veterans have their work cut out for them. I do not wish to say that without TyK forget it but something has to give on that top line. I have no clue if we shuffled the deck what that could even look like. Would love some convo on this. Going to give BC credit; their veteran players stepped up for them, they played solid D, and Woll managed twice to avoid what looked like sure goals in big save efforts.

Over all we still deal with a lack of timely/lengthy puck possession but last night I thought we did a decent enough job of limiting BC's chances although in the 3rd you could see they had the puck for long periods of time. Seeing some good stuff from guys like Eric MacAdams as he scored his first NCAA goal. Love the tenacity of that player every shift the kid gives and it paid off last night. I think we are going to see a lot from him as the season goes forward.

Glad we have the day off(sort of ) and hope we find something on the road v Yale. Have heard that's a tough place to play. Hope you're right Felger about PC and the malaise of playing in the FS4 tourney as PC is up next. They are playing decent hockey and HE points are desperately needed. Wishing all a great Thanksgiving. Go 'Cats!!

Ps..we could see Eiserman back for Yale

Ref, sorry to reply to your 11/20 post here but my thread is all messed up.
                  Thoughts:
                  First line has lost its touch. Not sure why but it is so painful to watch. They are also the line that struggles getting it out of our end the most.
                  I say try Charlie back up there and keep the 7-26-20 as second for now.
                  We suffer from not having a closer, go to guy who can either win it or get us back in the game. Nice distribution of goal scoring but need that guy!
                  We need to play the 4th line more, especially in the third period (here comes the pig pile on me) They are fast, effective and drive the opponent nuts. We keep running the 1-2 and the 1 just can't get it done and starts to lose a step. All sports are games of inches and we need the first line to be more in control. I am not advocating a 1,2,3,4 approach as situaations will demand specific responses but throw the 4th out more to shake things up.
                  And on the freshmen d, yes they both make mistakes but they also make tons of incredible plays. We got 8 because he is/was inconsistent, but I see a real star here and he will prevail. He already plays beyond his years just needs to stay focused.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Ref, sorry to reply to your 11/20 post here but my thread is all messed up.
                    Thoughts:
                    First line has lost its touch. Not sure why but it is so painful to watch. They are also the line that struggles getting it out of our end the most.
                    I say try Charlie back up there and keep the 7-26-20 as second for now.
                    We suffer from not having a closer, go to guy who can either win it or get us back in the game. Nice distribution of goal scoring but need that guy!
                    We need to play the 4th line more, especially in the third period (here comes the pig pile on me) They are fast, effective and drive the opponent nuts. We keep running the 1-2 and the 1 just can't get it done and starts to lose a step. All sports are games of inches and we need the first line to be more in control. I am not advocating a 1,2,3,4 approach as situaations will demand specific responses but throw the 4th out more to shake things up.
                    And on the freshmen d, yes they both make mistakes but they also make tons of incredible plays. We got 8 because he is/was inconsistent, but I see a real star here and he will prevail. He already plays beyond his years just needs to stay focused.
                    Really great points ATW! You aren't the only one who has said they would like to see that 4th line see more action; myself included. We thought we weren't going to say we missed TyK but right now? Yup we do. So there needs to be a playmaker/closer on that line and right now I'd stick with Charlie. Grasso is not 100% and quite honestly maybe PG is t either but I think CHKell has that defensive piece down and is an excellent passer which is what that line needs.

BC was all over us the other night seems we need more effective breakout plays/systems. The dump and chase is ok and lots of teams use it. That being said it shouldn't be the game plan every time down the ice. Speedy forwards or not. Like to see us get that outlet pass going as well and not rely on getting tied up in the corners.

It just seems too easy to take UNH out of its game; we get one or maybe two chances to score and that's about it. Lately I feel like the other team is constantly on a power play with the amount of puck possession they have in our end. Could that be why we have pottted 3 goals in 3 games? Too much talent out there for that...need that top line to figure it out.

And I'm with you regarding #8...just some musings on the above stuff. Curious to see what we bring to Yale. Thanks to you I'm going 😉
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Really great points ATW! You aren't the only one who has said they would like to see that 4th line see more action; myself included. We thought we weren't going to say we missed TyK but right now? Yup we do. So there needs to be a playmaker/closer on that line and right now I'd stick with Charlie. Grasso is not 100% and quite honestly maybe PG is t either but I think CHKell has that defensive piece down and is an excellent passer which is what that line needs.

BC was all over us the other night seems we need more effective breakout plays/systems. The dump and chase is ok and lots of teams use it. That being said it shouldn't be the game plan every time down the ice. Speedy forwards or not. Like to see us get that outlet pass going as well and not rely on getting tied up in the corners.

It just seems too easy to take UNH out of its game; we get one or maybe two chances to score and that's about it. Lately I feel like the other team is constantly on a power play with the amount of puck possession they have in our end. Could that be why we have pottted 3 goals in 3 games? Too much talent out there for that...need that top line to figure it out.

And I'm with you regarding #8...just some musings on the above stuff. Curious to see what we bring to Yale. Thanks to you I'm going 😉
                      Big down side to injuries on lines 1 - 3 is breaking up the 4th line to fill in for the injured player(s).
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        It may be time to blow up the first-line all together. If not, I think the change you may need to make is not on the LW, but with the guy on the right. Salvaggio has never been an elite goal scorer (last season and his senior year of HS, not withstanding). He and McNicholas do not have some undeniable chemistry that can’t be broken up. Their 2016-17 goal scoring was essentially a product of their third line-mate Tyler Kelleher. TK is gone, and there really aren’t any equal or equivalent talents on the current roster to plug into that spot…

Salvaggio wasn’t much of a goal scorer at the USHL level. He managed just 20 in 69 USHL games, before scoring 3 in his first 40 games at UNH. He has a hard shot, which is not particularly deceptive or accurate. When he plays with a transcendent playmaker he can finish off a lot of open looks, but without a TK or AP on this team, he isn’t going to approach another 20-goal season. Additionally, he is always looking to score and is just not the type of player who will ever do much in the way of creating scoring chances for his linemates (outside of rebound opportunities). Pairing him with a couple of passing playmakers who can’t do much to create for themselves and don’t draw a lot of defensive coverage, may not be a very good fit for anybody…

You can read many threads on this board and find fan-bases upset about their coaches’ constant line-up tinkering. It’s just as frustrating, at least to me, to watch Umile line up trios for the exhibition game and run them out there together most of the season, regardless of result (aside from injuries forcing his hand). It’s time to mix it up. And for me that starts with breaking up the two seniors. The team doesn’t really have a single pure goal-scorer/sniper on the roster and that’s a problem, but here’s what I’d try…

----

BVR – McNicholas – Grasso

* While Grasso was more of a playmaker in the USHL, he did score 20+ in his final season in the league and 20 more last year. BVR was a goal scorer in junior hockey, posting two 20+ goal campaigns. This line pairs two potential goal scorers (as opposed to one) with the team’s best playmaker. BVR and Grasso are also capable passers who can create some chances for McNicholas that Salvaggio wouldn’t…

Salvaggio – Blackburn – Kelleher

* This line gives you a nose-for-the-net type in Salvaggio, a pass-first playmaker in Kelleher and a well-rounded, creative offensive center in Blackburn. Blackburn could be the shifty center needed to get Salvaggio going, and as a threat to score in his own right might draw a lot of attention off of #10. Additionally, he should work well with Kelleher as they make plays for each other.

Nazarian – Vela – Fregona

* Without elite scoring options, this team needs depth. You can coach the forwards to be defensively responsible – as they did well at the beginning of the year. You cannot coach them to score goals. Miller on the third line limits its chances to add depth scoring. I’d rather pair a couple of fast, shifty buzzing wings with a tough center who can go to the net for screens and rebounds and do the dirty work to win pucks. Vela can play that role and does have the skill to catch fire and become the offensive threat we’ve always thought he was. Once Fregona gets a chance to contribute to the offense, I expect he will. Nazarian brings a little bit of everything.

Miller – Cefalu - MacAdams

* This is a group with limited offensive ability, but one that will skate hard and forecheck. Hopefully, they can bring energy and transition the puck up ice, limiting opponents zone time and making them work hard in their own end.
                        Last edited by Dan; 11-20-2017, 04:53 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          It may be time to blow up the first-line all together. If not, I think the change you may need to make is not on the LW, but with the guy on the right. Salvaggio has never been an elite goal scorer (last season and his senior year of HS, not withstanding). He and McNicholas do not have some undeniable chemistry that can’t be broken up. Their 2016-17 goal scoring was essentially a product of their third line-mate Tyler Kelleher. TK is gone, and there really aren’t any equal or equivalent talents on the current roster to plug into that spot…

Salvaggio wasn’t much of a goal scorer at the USHL level. He managed just 20 in 69 USHL games, before scoring 3 in his first 40 games at UNH. He has a hard shot, which is not particularly deceptive or accurate. When he plays with a transcendent playmaker he can finish off a lot of open looks, but without a TK or AP on this team, he isn’t going to approach another 20-goal season. Additionally, he is always looking to score and is just not the type of player who will ever do much in the way of creating scoring chances for his linemates (outside of rebound opportunities). Pairing him with a couple of passing playmakers who can’t do much to create for themselves and don’t draw a lot of defensive coverage, may not be a very good fit for anybody…

You can read many threads on this board and find fan-bases upset about their coaches’ constant line-up tinkering. It’s just as frustrating, at least to me, to watch Umile line up trios for the exhibition game and run them out there together most of the season, regardless of result (aside from injuries forcing his hand). It’s time to mix it up. And for me that starts with breaking up the two seniors. The team doesn’t really have a single pure goal-scorer/sniper on the roster and that’s a problem, but here’s what I’d try…

----

* While Grasso was more of a playmaker in the USHL, he did score 20+ in his final season in the league and 20 more last year. BVR was a goal scorer in junior hockey, posting two 20+ goal campaigns. This line pairs two potential goal scorers (as opposed to one) with the team’s best playmaker. BVR and Grasso are also capable passers who can create some chances for McNicholas that Salvaggio wouldn’t…

* This line gives you a nose-for-the-net type in Salvaggio, a pass-first playmaker in Kelleher and a well-rounded, creative offensive center in Blackburn. Blackburn could be the shifty center needed to get Salvaggio going, and as a threat to score in his own right might draw a lot of attention off of #10. Additionally, he should work well with Kelleher as they make plays for each other.

* Without elite scoring options, this team needs depth. You can coach the forwards to be defensively responsible – as they did well at the beginning of the year. You cannot coach them to score goals. Miller on the third line limits its chances to add depth scoring. I’d rather pair a couple of fast, shifty buzzing wings with a tough center who can go to the net for screens and rebounds and do the dirty work to win pucks. Vela can play that role and does have the skill to catch fire and become the offensive threat we’ve always thought he was. Once Fregona gets a chance to contribute to the offense, I expect he will. Nazarian brings a little bit of everything.

* This is a group with limited offensive ability, but one that will skate hard and forecheck. Hopefully, they can bring energy and transition the puck up ice, limiting opponents zone time and making them work hard in their own end.
                          Interesting! Wow, I never thought about that first line combo you came up with; makes perfect sense if you ask me! In the short time I've been following I do remember a season where there the top line was mixed up on a few occasions then it would settle down and seem to 'work'. The Goumas, Sorkin, Willows line comes to mind (only reference I have!). Took a few games to finally hit it right and there it was. So I think you have to do something at this point as far as the top line goes at least try it out. The 'Cats are far enough into the season to see what's working/what's not. There's a lot of talent out there but the goals aren't coming (and I do understand how the injuries were a big factor) as of late so....

Put skaters together who truly compliment one another all offering strengths the other can benefit from and vice versa. I think if you're switching lines all the time that can get frustrating but right now is a good time to try something else, not later. Pots....I was just talking about him with other fans at the 'Whitt. What a great player and a great line with he, TyK, and Dan C. (See, I'm reminiscing!)
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

----

I like the idea of trying something new with the lines.

But, I would like to see the BvR-Blackburn-Grasso line back together again every night; over the last 7 games, they are 2-3, 3-2, and 0-3 in goals/assists, which does not sound that great, but it would be a lot better than any other line combination over that time frame. Maybe move Nazarian (3-2) up to the first line with McNicholas (1-4) and Kelleher (0-2)? The, Salvaggio-Vela-Fregona on the third line?
                            Last edited by Snively65; 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

----

Fair enough, and perhaps a total remake is what we need, but we all know that isn't going to happen. Old habits and strategies die hard.
                              TK was a one of a kind player. He was in part so successful because he could not be defended with a plan. He was always free-skating all over the ice looking to create space for himself or his line mates. That drove this thread crazy in the early part of last year and i for one come on here to defend what I said was a true talent and unique player. His line mates had to learn how to fill that space effectively and as much as possible figure out how to be in the right spot at the right time.

As we saw they were able to adjust and we had ourselves one heck of a first line....offensively, with TK able and willing to skate it out. iIdefinitely feel that there are more goals to be had then the current configurations are providing.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Fair enough, and perhaps a total remake is what we need, but we all know that isn't going to happen. Old habits and strategies die hard.
                                TK was a one of a kind player. He was in part so successful because he could not be defended with a plan. He was always free-skating all over the ice looking to create space for himself or his line mates. That drove this thread crazy in the early part of last year and i for one come on here to defend what I said was a true talent and unique player. His line mates had to learn how to fill that space effectively and as much as possible figure out how to be in the right spot at the right time.

As we saw they were able to adjust and we had ourselves one heck of a first line....offensively, with TK able and willing to skate it out. iIdefinitely feel that there are more goals to be had then the current configurations are providing.
                                You aren't kidding that TyK was/is a unique, special player.(a great player to be honest) ..and that's all I'm gonna say about that. I'd frankly be surprised if we see any line changes short of Grasso for Kelleher and vice versa. Remains to be seen!! Speaking of Tyler Kelleher:

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/new...form=hootsuite
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-22-2017, 07:19 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X