This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

An you can only claim a small amount. If you lose 10k you cant write that off or anything. I want to say it is like $500.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      An you can only claim a small amount. If you lose 10k you cant write that off or anything. I want to say it is like $500.
      You can claim more than that. Is there a different law if you are a pro gambler (think: poker)? I know they have to record their sessions as "job shifts" or something. You play 12 hours, then take an (x) amount of break before your next run, etc. You record your monetary winnings and losses....

Have a friend who basically plays poker as a legit side job, ended up making enough to buy his house.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You don't have to sell your farm to pay the taxes, you can take 15 years to pay them in installments if you need to. If your farm can't cover the taxes over 15 years I'd suggest you sell it and put the money to better use. The estate tax killing the family farm is as big a lie as everything else that comes out of Trump/Ryan's mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I thought you could add a deduction for losses, but you also have to report your winnings, so they are properly taxed.....
          and you can only deduct losses to offset winnings, not other non-gambling income.
          Last edited by unofan; 09-28-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            and you can only deduct losses to offset winnings.
            Correct.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Normally I ginore Facebook memes but I didnt find a couple that proved the stupidity of the Right's opinion on the NFL Protests..
              all y'all like how tD won this round?? saw the tv clips this morning and EVERY ONE OF THE PLAYERS WAS STANDING AT ATTENTION LAST NIGHT DURING THE ANTHEM
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

John Henry released a nice statement against hate and intolerance which I was glad to see included Tommie Jones and John Carlos among others who have stood up against racial hate and oppression in the past. Those people are heroes now (not so much Jones and Carlos, probably), but we forget how vilified they were at the time, including Ali.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                  John Henry released a nice statement against hate and intolerance which I was glad to see included Tommie Jones and John Carlos among others who have stood up against racial hate and oppression in the past. Those people are heroes now (not so much Jones and Carlos, probably), but we forget how vilified they were at the time, including Ali.
                  Where has John Henry been the last 15 years? Not to be cynical, but I think is just another money making scam.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    You can claim more than that. Is there a different law if you are a pro gambler (think: poker)? I know they have to record their sessions as "job shifts" or something. You play 12 hours, then take an (x) amount of break before your next run, etc. You record your monetary winnings and losses....

Have a friend who basically plays poker as a legit side job, ended up making enough to buy his house.
                    Those are different rules because that is considered income. You can only claim a small amount if it is recreational.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      You don't need a new political party. You need to get big money out of the ones we currently have.

Any new party that even begins earning seats in government, and they'll get bought out just like the ones we already have.
                      You're right, but there's as much of a chance of getting money out of The Parties as there is of Handy burning all his Goldie Gear, moving to Grand Forks, and becoming a UND Hockey fan.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Where has John Henry been the last 15 years? Not to be cynical, but I think is just another money making scam.
                        Why do I keep thinking John Henry was a famous race horse...

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          Don't tell me the Kid Rock campaign was a real thing... I thought he said it was a joke? I was disillusioned enough for one day when I saw we're giving a tax deduction for "gambling losses." America is over.
                          Y'all were saying the same thing about Trump's campaign. And if I thought the butthurt from the last 11 months over Trump winning was entertaining...

Comment

No.

You know for a guy who believed the canard that Obama wiretapped Trump (and played up how off that would be) you seem pretty blase about this. I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it is targeting a group you are not a part of...
                            Subtle but finite difference you're (intentionally?) missing here: Monitoring public social media is not reaching into ("tapping") private conversations. When you post it on your Facebook you've lost any expectation of privacy. If you put it out there for all to see, someone is going to see it. Again, see Gibbs Rule 4.

Side bar: I recently had the chance to hear Carly Fiorina speak. She touched on this issue. She asked why US INS doesn't look at social media accounts of immigrants applying to come to the US. (They aren't allowed to, supposedly, per her.) She then pointed out when her granddaughter brings home a new boyfriend the first thing she does is find the lad's Facebook and Twitter account postings. So Carly does more social media vetting of people than US INS was her claim.

Now, as far as Trump being tapped -- he may not have been the target, but may have he been caught up in the tap anyway?
                            - Manafort was tapped: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/politi...ans/index.html
                            - Manafort had an apartment in Trump Tower (was the monitoring happening to Manafort while there?)
                            - Manafort talked to Trump ... before and after the election
                            Conversations where Trump participated easily could've been monitored, but not with Trump as the prime target.
                            PS - That's not me; that's CNN. Enjoy the video and story at the above link.
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-29-2017, 07:55 AM.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Mutual funds, index funds? I have a portion of my retirement in that.

A goodly portion of the Fed's Thrift Savings Plan (401k) has a stock market index fund plus another fund into bond's.

We may not individually own stocks, but we're not exactly absent from the market, especially with savings accounts and CDs paying squat.
                              Not to mention, you usually don't want to own stocks outright at that age. Diversity is your friend. And yes, misled lefties, you can put that in your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                When you post it on your Facebook you've lost any expectation of privacy.
                                Nobody's arguing with that.

Let's put it another way. Would you be comfortable with the USG monitoring all social media for everybody, all the time? Let's cede their right to. (1) Does it worry you that that sets up an adversarial relationship between the USG and its citizens? (2) Is that a good use of resources?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X