No announcement yet.

2018 Midterms 1: "Elections aren't just about who votes but who doesn't vote."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Midterms 1: "Elections aren't just about who votes but who doesn't vote."

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I agree with this completely. In fact my "keep it simple" is even easier. Don't advocate new targeted taxes at all. Go right to the tax code and set forward a very simple restoration of the multi-tiered system. Focus on the median income and go from there. 10% on median / 2, 20% on the median, 30% on m x 2, 40% on median x 3, up to 90%. The end. Roll everything into the general fund, no more dedicated taxes, no more difference in cap gains and earned income. That's as simple as you can get.
    No, that's not the pull. The pull is single payer.
    Your tax plan should make single payer a reality, at least from a fiscal standpoint. You won't have to pay physicians when they aren't working. If they're not working, they won't order tests or do procedures or whatever and costs will go down. $$$ saved.

Based on the above rates, an average Family Practice physician would pay 25% of their gross income. OB 35%, Cardiology 45%, Orthopedics 54% and Neurosurgery 57%. It looks like a great way to incentivize physicians to continue their average 60 hour work week (FYI, mine averages about 80-90 hrs/wk). I'm sure you won't have to wait at all for your appointment or procedure. Of course they could always bring back Selective Service and draft us all into the military then obligate service.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

Re: 2018 Midterms 1: "Elections aren't just about who votes but who doesn't vote."

The GOP will always be seen as patriotic and pro-military because they own the South which is so over-the-top militaristic, and because they bang the war drums and act like an adolescent male, and many people equate bloviation and threats with "strength."
      Isn't good for you that they do?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
        Your tax plan should make single payer a reality, at least from a fiscal standpoint. You won't have to pay physicians when they aren't working. If they're not working, they won't order tests or do procedures or whatever and costs will go down. $$$ saved.

Based on the above rates, an average Family Practice physician would pay 25% of their gross income. OB 35%, Cardiology 45%, Orthopedics 54% and Neurosurgery 57%. It looks like a great way to incentivize physicians to continue their average 60 hour work week (FYI, mine averages about 80-90 hrs/wk). I'm sure you won't have to wait at all for your appointment or procedure. Of course they could always bring back Selective Service and draft us all into the military then obligate service.
        You might want to find another doctor if yours is averaging a 90 hour work week. That's 13 hours a day, every single day of the week. Which means if he or she takes a weekend off here or there he or she is pulling a bunch of 18 hour days. That tired physician -- with no time at all for any sort of a personal life or relaxation and often with those kinds of hours is sleeping just a couple of hours a day -- is making mistakes. You know like prescribing miralax for restless leg syndrome instead of mirapex.

I know physicians work ridiculous hours when they are training (a school of thought that many think needs reworked) but no way would I willingly and knowingly subject myself to a doctor who never slept, any more than I'd get on an airliner with a pilot pulling 90 hour weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          I know physicians work ridiculous hours when they are training (a school of thought that many think needs reworked) but no way would I willingly and knowingly subject myself to a doctor who never slept, any more than I'd get on an airliner with a pilot pulling 90 hour weeks.
          If you frequent doctors you likely do not know how long they have been working and you likely have been seen by someone averaging 70+hours a week.
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            You might want to find another doctor if yours is averaging a 90 hour work week. That's 13 hours a day, every single day of the week. Which means if he or she takes a weekend off here or there he or she is pulling a bunch of 18 hour days. That tired physician -- with no time at all for any sort of a personal life or relaxation and often with those kinds of hours is sleeping just a couple of hours a day -- is making mistakes. You know like prescribing miralax for restless leg syndrome instead of mirapex.

Having grown up with a doctor for a dad -- they are almost always working. Nursing home patient has a sudden change: call the doctor to order a med at 0130; patient in your practice comes into the emergency room and you don't utilize hospitalists: call the doctor for orders at 0330; Patient comes in for bloodwork at 1400 on a Saturday afternoon and the result is critical: call the doctor so he can instruct the patient on what to do next. While they may "only" see patients in their offices from 9 to 5, there is a ton of behind the scenes work that goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
              If you frequent doctors you likely do not know how long they have been working and you likely have been seen by someone averaging 70+hours a week.
              Proper documentation/insurance compliance alone means OT for virtually all docs and NPs. Not to mention on-call hours (especially for surgeons), etc.

Anyone who thinks you folks work a cushy 8-5 M-F, and then go home - even once established in private practice - has no idea how medicine in this country works.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

I shall weep for you and your $100k+ left after taxes.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I shall weep for you and your $100k+ left after taxes.
                  The world needs truck drivers also

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    The world needs truck drivers also

In probably 25 years, it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
                      We've often been told to keep up with the times
                      For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
                      And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

When will the Star Trek transporter finally arrive??
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          When will the Star Trek transporter finally arrive??
                          Long after driverless cars and trucks

Comment

Long after driverless cars and trucks
                            Dammit
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
                              We've often been told to keep up with the times
                              For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
                              And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed
                              "We're the first ones to starve
                              We're the first ones to die
                              The first one in line for that pie in the sky
                              And we're always the last
                              When the cream is shared out
                              For the worker is working when the fat cat's about"
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Winter is coming?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X