Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    If I have time this week — and I haven't in the last few weeks — I'll look at what the standings would be like with 2-1-0. Or someone can do it instead of me, no big.

GFM
    Just ignore the 3/SW column:

1. BSU 42 pts (20-6-2)
    2. MTU 36 pts (15-7-6)
    3. MSU 34 pts (15-9-4)
    4. BGSU 29 pts (14-13-1)
    5. FSU 28 pts (12-12-4)
    6. UAF 26 pts (11-13-4)
    7. NMU 23 pts (10-15-3)
    8. LSSU 23 pts (8-13-7)
    9. UAH 21 pts (9-16-3)
    10. UAA 18 pts (6-16-6)

The only difference is that NMU would have been the 7 seed and LSSU would have been the 8 seed (based on the B tiebreaker for conference wins). The Lakers got a boost by winning three more points in 3x3 OT/shootouts than the Wildcats.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Is it me, or is it a sad indictment on the conference this year that the league's leading scorer only had 30 points on the year?
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Is it me, or is it a sad indictment on the conference this year that the league's leading scorer only had 30 points on the year?
        I'd say it's an indictment on the style of play that the majority of the league plays.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
          I'd say it's an indictment on the style of play that the majority of the league plays.
          Or it could that there are more quality defenseman and goaltenders than high end forwards. The league shift has had a negative effect on recruiting the top end players across the league.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Or it could that there are more quality defenseman and goaltenders than high end forwards. The league shift has had a negative effect on recruiting the top end players across the league.
            No WCHA team had a player with more than 40 points on the season (non conference included). Mankato is the only team that had two guys with over 30 points. Most WCHA teams accomplished scoring by committee this year.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              No WCHA team had a player with more than 40 points on the season (non conference included). Mankato is the only team that had two guys with over 30 points. Most WCHA teams accomplished scoring by committee this year.
              Some teams accomplished scoring as an optional objective.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Admittedly,I'm just considering MSU in this, but the high end nature of our forwards came out in the non conference. From what I've seen its style over quality of defensemen/goaltenders. It's a slow, plodding style with a ton of obstruction, holding and interference.

I'd argue that's part of what caused the wretched non conference record for the conference. Teams got out of the conference, weren't able to play that way, and the results showed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  Admittedly,I'm just considering MSU in this, but the high end nature of our forwards came out in the non conference. From what I've seen its style over quality of defensemen/goaltenders. It's a slow, plodding style with a ton of obstruction, holding and interference.

I'd argue that's part of what caused the wretched non conference record for the conference. Teams got out of the conference, weren't able to play that way, and the results showed it.
                  I agree. I watched the MSU v BSU series this weekend and what I saw was a slightly below average team with strong goaltending interfere any chance they got to slow down the slightly above average team with questionable goaltending. Although the 20+ penalties in the opening game of the year was annoying it was better than watching what I saw this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATC Trainer View Post
                    I agree. I watched the MSU v BSU series this weekend and what I saw was a slightly below average team with strong goaltending interfere any chance they got to slow down the slightly above average team with questionable goaltending. Although the 20+ penalties in the opening game of the year was annoying it was better than watching what I saw this weekend.
                    That's almost a perfect description of what my thoughts on the league is.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      The non-conference numbers defy this. If someone like BSU really had high quality defense and goaltending, it would show up in non-conference wins and shutouts. Instead, they went 0-7-1, and while only giving up 1.57 goal/game in WCHA play, they gave up 3 a game (24 in 8) in non-conference. I'm not saying they don't have quality goaltending and defense, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not THAT good. The rest of the league is similar: Only Ferris (2.3), Tech (2.7), and Kato (2.8) held non-conference foes to under 3 goals a game. Where were the quality defenders and goaltenders in the nonconference games?

As you note, where this really becomes an issue is recruiting. Try to sell a high level recruit with, "Hey, you should come play in a conference where nobody scores, and the style of play -while frustrating and physically taxing- won't prepare you for anything at any other level. You ready to sign up?"

Comment

QUOTE=purpleinnebraska;6453362]The non-conference numbers defy this. If someone like BSU really had high quality defense and goaltending, it would show up in non-conference wins and shutouts. Instead, they went 0-7-1, and while only giving up 1.57 goal/game in WCHA play, they gave up 3 a game (24 in 8) in non-conference. I'm not saying they don't have quality goaltending and defense, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not THAT good. The rest of the league is similar: Only Ferris (2.3), Tech (2.7), and Kato (2.8) held non-conference foes to under 3 goals a game. Where were the quality defenders and goaltenders in the nonconference games?

As you note, where this really becomes an issue is recruiting. Try to sell a high level recruit with, "Hey, you should come play in a conference where nobody scores, and the style of play -while frustrating and physically taxing- won't prepare you for anything at any other level. You ready to sign up?"[/QUOTE]

Yes, the WCHA is down this year, but to choose BSU this year alone to prove your point lacks depth and longevity. Yes, this year BSU had a lousy 0-7-1 (3-3 W versus Duluth) non conference record with losses to North Dakota, Minnesota, Duluth, SCSU, and gulp (Princeton). Historically, BSU plays as difficult non-conference schedule as anyone in the country. Even last year, with a decent 17-16-6 team (11-12-5 WCHA), BSU swept #3 Duluth, beat the Gophers, tied #1 North Dakota and split with SCSU. A year before that in Bitzer's first college game, beat #2 North Dakota 5-1 on the road. The Beavers with Coach Serratore have been playing their way for many years including their Frozen Four run. Your point may still be well-taken, but the BSU example is not accurate over time.
                        Last edited by Andrew J Carter; 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

It's going to be hard over the long haul for WCHA teams to recruit top tier talent. That's gonna be a wee bit tricky for the coaches. I don't think its as bad as some are making it out to be, I think the WCHA is still a good quality of hockey. But the coaches are going to have to find the *right* kids to come to their schools, not necessarily the best ones.
                          Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

I still can't help feeling like the WCHA is just College Hockey America 2.0, down to having a UAH-BSU axis.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              I still can't help feeling like the WCHA is just College Hockey America 2.0, down to having a UAH-BSU axis.

GFM
                              The Sun Belt of college hockey
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                The Sun Belt of college hockey
                                Well I don't quite agree with those sentiments on the league. Yes scoring is down, and non con games didn't work out that well, but there are some other things going on as well.
                                It might be that recruiters from other schools are giving out this line but really the goal of a recruit is to be developed in to a top player who can play hl level hockey. Looking at the styles that teams play, I'd say it mimics the nhl pretty well. I think it's not true they don't get developed. quite the reverse.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X