D-1 Transfer rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-1 Transfer rules

Can D-1 women's hockey players transfer and play the next season at the new college or do they have to sit out a year. I was told the WCHA restricts transfers within the WCHA. Do any other conferences have transfer restrictions?

Re: D-1 Transfer rules

Originally posted by Forecheck23 View Post
    Can D-1 women's hockey players transfer and play the next season at the new college or do they have to sit out a year. I was told the WCHA restricts transfers within the WCHA. Do any other conferences have transfer restrictions?
    Not to my knowledge. Anna MacDonald transferred from BC to Harvard in 2007 and was able to play right away. It might depend on the conference but I don't think the NCAA prohibits a transfer from playing the following season.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      Not to my knowledge. Anna MacDonald transferred from BC to Harvard in 2007 and was able to play right away. It might depend on the conference but I don't think the NCAA prohibits a transfer from playing the following season.
      Likewise, Jackie Young transferred from Harvard to BC in 2011 and kept on playing. But those are between conferences too. I believe though that Jenn Wakefield transferred from UNH to BU and didn't miss a season?

Comment

Originally posted by Forecheck23 View Post
        Keep in mind that a transfer doesn't get to take all their credits so either has to take extra credits or graduate late

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
          Likewise, Jackie Young transferred from Harvard to BC in 2011 and kept on playing. But those are between conferences too. I believe though that Jenn Wakefield transferred from UNH to BU and didn't miss a season?
          Hockey East also has a one year sit rule. Wakefield served hers while she was centralized with TC prior to the 2010 Olympics. There have been other HE players that have waited their year, but were a little less high profile, so it may have flown under the radar. Campbell at UVM is one.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
            Hockey East also has a one year sit rule. Wakefield served hers while she was centralized with TC prior to the 2010 Olympics. There have been other HE players that have waited their year, but were a little less high profile, so it may have flown under the radar. Campbell at UVM is one.
            Got it, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              The players have to be enrolled full-time for the year that they sit. The Lams enrolled in classes while they were centralized prior to the Vancouver games. Online classes are taking care of that now. Currently there is no mandate for a player to sit if they transfer out of conference.
              Last edited by UCONN FAN; 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

There is not a good one size fits all answer. Only sit rules I know about for sure is the within WCHA one, and any move to or within the CIS. (The CIS one is actually changing next season, at which point you can move from the NCAA to the CIS without sitting a year.).

There are other factors, like the departing school having to sign off (Witness the player that went from UVM to Cornell a few years ago and had to sit a year). If there is a rule in HE, it is relatively new. Pretty sure it did not exist 4 or 5 years ago, but there was talk at the time of bringing it in. Not sure if the HE "sits" from the past where due to the rule, or the lack of sign-off from the various schools.

To the best of my knowledge there is no ECAC sit rule, but also know that there are a myriad of Ivy rules over and above the ECAC/NCAA rules (red shirting for example).

If you are even thinking making a move, your best course of action is to check with the current schools compliance officer. They will be able to tell you A: what the rules are, and B: if the current school would support the move, as they have to sign off on it, before you can even entertain a conversation with another school.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  There is not a good one size fits all answer. Only sit rules I know about for sure is the within WCHA one, and any move to or within the CIS. (The CIS one is actuallychanging next season, at which point you can move from the NCAA to the CIS without sitting a year.).

There are other factors, like the departing school having to sign off (Witness the player that went from UVM to Cornell a few years ago and had to sit a year). If there is a rule in HE, it is relatively new. Pretty sure it did not exist 4 or 5 years ago, but there was talk at the time of bringing it in. Not sure if the HE "sits" from the past where due to the rule, or the lack of sign-off from the various schools.

To the best of my knowledge there is no ECAC sit rule, but also know that there are a myriad of Ivy rules over and above the ECAC/NCAA rules (red shirting for example).

If you are even thinking making a move, your best course of action is to check with the current schools compliance officer. They will be able to tell you A: what the rules are, and B: if the current school would support the move, as they have to sign off on it, before you can even entertain a conversation with another school.
                  I can't speak to the legalities and nuances, but I am pretty confident if my daughter was on scholarship and seriously thinking of transferring, the absolute LAST people she would talk to would be her current team and school. This is not a casual inquiry - you should have exhausted all options to be happy at your current school before you embark on the transfer route. The current school is almost certainly going to yank your scholarship for the next year and future if you initiate that conversation, so you better have a definite place to go. if you're at a school with no scholarships or not on one, that is a different story, but the coaches will certainly cut your playing time and ignore you in most cases - they are there to win and kids who are leaving aren't going to help them do that in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    I can't speak to the legalities and nuances, but I am pretty confident if my daughter was on scholarship and seriously thinking of transferring, the absolute LAST people she would talk to would be her current team and school. This is not a casual inquiry - you should have exhausted all options to be happy at your current school before you embark on the transfer route. The current school is almost certainly going to yank your scholarship for the next year and future if you initiate that conversation, so you better have a definite place to go. if you're at a school with no scholarships or not on one, that is a different story, but the coaches will certainly cut your playing time and ignore you in most cases - they are there to win and kids who are leaving aren't going to help them do that in the future.
                    If you're a D1 kid there is no self release like at D3... Schools are not allowed to talk to you unless they get a signed release from the compliance office of the players current school...Best to wait till the end of the season and then be upfront and honest about your intentions, IMO

Comment

Hux sound advice. A very good friend of ours (ice) almost found out the hard way about the rules of transferring. When Penn State was starting up he made a phone call unbeknownst to his daughter about availability at her position. The Penn State coach (or assistant) informed him that he was bound by NCAA rules to inform her current coach and AD of the inquisition. He immediately went into panic mode was able to assure them he was acting on his own and not on his daughters behalf. Of course there are ways around the rules when reaching out to school. A former coach or anybody who has the intended coach's ear could make an "informal inquiry" on the players behalf.
                      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I can't speak to the legalities and nuances, but I am pretty confident if my daughter was on scholarship and seriously thinking of transferring, the absolute LAST people she would talk to would be her current team and school.
                        That would not be a very smart thing to do, as it could lead to:

A: A violation of NCAA rules, nixing any chance of an approval for the transfer

B: Even if you get a transfer, may cost the player a year if the "release" school decides to give you a hard time.

Therefore stand by my previous suggestion/advice. If you are seriously thinking about transferring, would check with the current schools compliance officer first before you engage any conversation with another school. It is a slippery slope either way, so think twice and hard before making any such move.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          Anna MacDonald transferred from BC to Harvard in 2007 and was able to play right away. .
                          wwhyte then posted: "Likewise, Jackie Young transferred from Harvard to BC in 2011 and kept on playing."

[Insert "player to be named later" joke of your choosing here]*

HockeyEast33 then wrote: " if you're at a school with no scholarships or not on one, that is a different story, but the coaches will certainly cut your playing time and ignore you in most cases - they are there to win and kids who are leaving aren't going to help them do that in the future."

Boy, I think that may have been the case with Young....towards the end of the season I kept asking myself "why has this kid's ice time been cut back so much? Nagging injury? Nasty biochem tests to study for?" but now I surmise she had done the ethical thing and let the cat out of the bag before the season ended. Does anybody know if that's true?

__________________________________________________ _
                          * Not a joke, but in Rev. Rul. 67-380, 1967-2 C.B. 291 the IRS held that while the trade of a second baseman for a left handed relief pitcher would constitute a Section 1231(b) tax-free like-kind exchange, the trade of a left fielder for a used bus would not. Unfortunately, the Rev. Rul. did not provide the name of any real-world outfielders who have been traded for buses.
                          Last edited by Watson Rink; 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                            Hux sound advice.
                            Hux ??....Huh ?.....Where/how did he enter into this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                              [Insert "player to be named later" joke of your choosing here]*
                              Oh, you mean who does Harvard get in 2015? YOU CAN'T HAVE SKARUPA.

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                              Boy, I think that may have been the case with Young....towards the end of the season I kept asking myself "why has this kid's ice time been cut back so much? Nagging injury? Nasty biochem tests to study for?" but now I surmise she had done the ethical thing and let the cat out of the bag before the season ended. Does anybody know if that's true?
                              Interesting. I don't know but I can try to find out, though as we know Stone isn't afraid to sit players even if they're not transferring...

Comment

Working...
                              X