• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Los Angeles 2028 Olympics

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    2018 The unpronouncable / unspellable Korean one
    2022 Beijing

We didn't have a strong bid for 2026 anyway (Boston? Please.), but SLC has a good chance at 2030.

Still a chance for 2018 if Trump falls below 30% and gets Seoul nuked.
    I'm pulling for Almaty for 2026!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Is there any skiing on Scotland?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I knew SLC was thinking about another bid. Their airport rebuild & expansion will be done by then, too. However, it seems unlikely to me that they would award both games to US cities back-to-back like that.
        LA "won" by default because there were a grand total of two cities bidding for the next games and no interest in the follow up games.

If SLC throws their name in, they might just win it.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          Ugly city, lovely country. I assume it makes Sochi look like a bastion of the rule of law, so they could easily Qatar it.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ugly city, lovely country.
            Almaty/KZ or Salt Lake City/UT?

Comment

Almaty/KZ or Salt Lake City/UT?
              Both.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Honestly, I think they need to settle on a regular rotation of 3-4 sites for the Winter Olympics, with a 4th or 5th one awarded at random to keep things fresh. No more demands for brand new venues every time. Winter Olympics demo is 85-90% white and wealthy anyway, so...

North America: Salt Lake City (maybe rotating in Calgary every so often, if they are interested)
                Europe: Somewhere in the Alps - Geneva (with the skiing held at Chamonix and/or Verbier), a Munich/Innsbruck/Kitzbuhel joint hosting effort, etc.
                Asia: Beijing (maybe rotating in Saporro?)
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-01-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Just put the winter games in Innsbruck and the summer games in Athens, take the country off the sweater and have everybody compete under their name*, and call it a day.

F-ck the IOC, f-ck the networks, f-ck the nation-states.

* Teams are fun, so even better: athletes compete for their birth month. Fans would root for their birth month team, and everybody contributing to the team (donors, coaches, trainers, doctors, etc.) would be by birth month.

Once it catches on we can just dispense with countries in all other aspects of life. We Februaries will spot the rest of you 2-3 days and still f-ck you up.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

While I'm very excited that the Games are coming back to the US, I was seriously bummed LA didn't get 2024. I was seriously thinking of reaching out to them to see about working for the Organizing Committee in some capacity. Will be way too old to do that for 2028.

Comment

* Teams are fun, so even better: athletes compete for their birth month. Fans would root for their birth month team, and everybody contributing to the team (donors, coaches, trainers, doctors, etc.) would be by birth month.
                      This is so crazy and insane, I actually like it!!
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        While I'm very excited that the Games are coming back to the US, I was seriously bummed LA didn't get 2024. I was seriously thinking of reaching out to them to see about working for the Organizing Committee in some capacity. Will be way too old to do that for 2028.
                        4 years makes *that* much difference?

I beg to differ.

In theory, I'll be retired for both- but being barely north of 60 for LA would not make me totally useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          LA won't lose money. They barely need to spend anything to host the games tomorrow...
                          Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          That's how I see it, too. If they need to build anything, it's to just modernize it. Other than that, almost everything is there and ready to go.

And that's why 1) there will be not many over runs and 2) LA will make money (again), making people (again) think you can make money on the Olympics.
                          Other than a little more public transit to move people around, and maybe a fresh coat of paint here and there for a few things.

So after LA in 2028, when would North America be next up for another bid? Around 2050 right??
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            Other than a little more public transit to move people around...
                            The most glaring and immediate problem is that the LA Metro (their subway/rail) doesn't even have a direct line into LAX - you have to shuttle to/from the terminals to the nearest stop. They either need to add a stop that has direct terminal access, or (more ambitious/expensive, but the better option) build something like the JFK AirTrain that links all of the terminals in a loop, and leads you out to a big station where you can easily transfer to the subway. I don't see that getting done by 2028 though.

Comment

The most glaring and immediate problem is that the LA Metro (their subway/rail) doesn't even have a direct line into LAX - you have to shuttle to/from the terminals to the nearest stop. They either need to add a stop that has direct terminal access, or (more ambitious/expensive, but the better option) build something like the JFK AirTrain that links all of the terminals in a loop, and leads you out to a big station where you can easily transfer to the subway. I don't see that getting done by 2028 though.
                              Good point. We've had to use the FlyAway bus to get to Union Station when we've gone to Rose Bowls (which is a really cheap price though).

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I would think that would be the best option, had the one big dedicated Metro at LAX station with a separate train that would shuttle you to the different airport terminals there. Then just have a couple of different lines that would service the Metro at LAX station and then people could get there with their luggage, go through airport security, and then to one of the shuttles to the terminals. Have that security area be in a different spot than what the drop off security is and that would help to get crowds in and out of the airport better.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X