Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
    Well, this is an underwhelming turns of events. I was hoping for a much bigger change. Not excited in the least for the new coach or the returning players for next year.
    I think it's gonna be some more mediocre seasons in the future. I hope I'm wrong but that is all I can think about right now.
    Didn't Lucia have the most success when Motzko was on his staff? You realize Motzko got the job and not Guentzel, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      So who did you want to replace Lucia with?
      Someone younger. This just seems stale before he even gets here. I dunno....maybe he'll be great, or maybe he'll be a bridge for a few years until if/when Potulny proves himself at NMU.
      National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Someone younger. This just seems stale before he even gets here. I dunno....maybe he'll be great, or maybe he'll be a bridge for a few years until if/when Potulny proves himself at NMU.
        Hiring a guy who was an assistant in the program for 8 of the previous 9 years = fresh.
        Hiring a guy who was leading another program for 13 years = stale
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          Hiring a guy who was an assistant in the program for 8 of the previous 9 years = fresh.
          Hiring a guy who was leading another program for 13 years = stale
          Are you tipsy right now? Or, maybe your blood pressure is just to high right now to think straight.

I said maybe the plan with Motzko is keep him for only a few years and hire Potulny "if/when he proves himself at NMU". I wouldn't want Potulny right now.
          To me, Motzko seems like an easy way out for Coyle and yes it feels stale to me. I'd like to see who else he was considering because this just seems like a hasty decision.
          National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Sadly, I couldnt find anybody who really excited me after this opening.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              KFAN reporting signs are pointing to Motzko being the guy..
              edit: nm. Saw other post.
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-27-2018, 07:57 PM.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Isn't this after you promised us that Potulny was the guy?
                How do you Potulny didn't turn the position down?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  How do you Potulny didn't turn the position down?
                  lol
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

lol
                    Ignore her.

Comment

edit: nm. Saw other post.
                      So, did more digging as to why Potulny was the name I was given — sounds like a majority of the Gopher hockey alums wanted Grant to take over. A few didn’t think he was ready yet. Lou Nanne is a HUGE Motzko guy, who of the alums, has lots of merit of course. It sounds like Coyle simply let them know he wanted to go with the experienced guy who has had success not only in the NCAAs but with the WJC as well.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        So, did more digging as to why Potulny was the name I was given — sounds like a majority of the Gopher hockey alums wanted Grant to take over. A few didn’t think he was ready yet. Lou Nanne is a HUGE Motzko guy, who of the alums, has lots of merit of course. It sounds like Coyle simply let them know he wanted to go with the experienced guy who has had success not only in the NCAAs but with the WJC as well.
                        Caught Nanne's spot on KFAN on the drive home yesterday. Clearly came across as a big Motzko supporter, which makes sense. I still don't know if Motzko can change the course at the U but he was definitely the best candidate available at this time. He was pretty good against the other Minnesota schools so I guess if that carries over that will be positive for the program.

Also said fans need to get over the WCHA being gone and that the Big Ten is definitely showing it's better. To the point he said if the Gophers had made the tournament, there would have been four Big Ten teams in the Frozen Four.

Thoughts from the Gopher faithful on that comment?

Comment

Would be four or could be four? Very different. He's also really old so anything he says can be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

From what I have gleaned from listening to Barreiro over the years, Nanne is a huge fundraiser for the U, so I am assuming his opinion matters A LOT. Also, judging from Nanne's comment that it was unanimous among the 5 person committee, my guess is Michelletti and/or Leopold were also on the committee. They are both big Motzko fans, and they are both on Beyond the Pond with Tenna B, who broke the news. Also, Leopold's quote that was thrown out almost immediately after the hire was announced is another hint IMO.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              He's also really old so anything he says can be taken with a grain of salt.
                              Kind of like what we say about people who are "really young."

Comment

lol
                                I am glad you got the joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X