This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Because I live in a large city and my neighbors house is six feet away.
    Are you really too lazy to walk six feet? I think people shooting near your house is the least of your problems.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Are you really too lazy to walk six feet? I think people shooting near your house is the least of your problems.
      Dude probably thinks that if someone has one, it means he's going to get shot. Remember, we're dealing with people that think firearms have a mind of their own. That's the only explanation I have for why they constantly blame the gun when it comes to these things instead of the person.

Comment

fwiw, I think it's good to have the Infowars point of view posting in here as Flagdude, as a way to help us all understand all views. That doesn't mean it will ever become worthwhile to argue with him. I recommend either reading it and leaving it alone, or just ignore it.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          fwiw, I think it's good to have the Infowars point of view posting in here as Flagdude, as a way to help us all understand all views. That doesn't mean it will ever become worthwhile to argue with him. I recommend either reading it and leaving it alone, or just ignore it.
          Same here.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            That makes sense in a city/suburb/town/etc. But out in the country, you can hear a gunshot from miles away. If you apply that reasoning, you're pretty much eliminating hunting in very rural areas.
            My family owns a lot of rural property and we do hunt, I guess I was thinking that none of the nearby farms cared. It's not like we were shooting semi automatics.
            My family is 90% bow hunting now though so even less shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post

Exactly. Trying to understand people you don't agree with is always good. What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
              Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
              bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Not lazy, just concerned what they are doing in their tiny yard and the possibility of getting hit. It's not normal here to be shooting guns in the middle of the city block.

Comment

• Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
                  Exactly. Trying to understand people you don't agree with is always good. What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
                  Is it worth putting forth the effort when they only want to communicate through Wingdings? All the other fonts to choose from but they insist the most obnoxious is the only one worth using.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Second, accidental shootings, usually involving kids or some form of idiocy.
                    we just had an "accidental" shooting where a toddler found a loaded handgun (safety off) in her father's backpack and accidentally shot herself

On one facebook post of the story of the by a local TV station the comments were filled with "I hope the father doesn't blame himself" and "this was a freak accident" -- uh, no. It was entirely preventable and the dumb *** father should blame himself.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
                      What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
                      Somebody (Twain?) had the great quote, "the greatest error in communication is that it has occurred."
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        On one facebook post of the story of the by a local TV station the comments were filled with "I hope the father doesn't blame himself" and "this was a freak accident" -- uh, no. It was entirely preventable and the dumb *** father should blame himself.
                        Yep, that's up there with the tornado that kills 50 people and "we just thank god it didn't kill more." Right, or, if you have a omnipotent invisible friend, maybe blame him for wiping out those people?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          I know I've posted it on here, but I have a friend that took a gun safety class and bought a handgun for home defense (why, I don't really know -- half my neighbors don't bother locking their doors) -- the "instructor" (and the person he purchased the gun from) was someone that my friends husband met at work. He didn't believe in using the safety on a gun, because it could take too long to turn off. He also wouldn't walk to the mailbox at the end of his driveway without a loaded gun, and had loaded guns stashed all over his house (with the safety off, I'm sure). His wife also carried a loaded gun in her purse (safety off!!). This nut-job is out there teaching other people about "gun safety" (my friend and his husband are smart enough to know this guy is a nut-job).
                          Along with other misconceptions already posted about various gun functions here, I'd guess the safety thing for this dude is related to the fact that modern handguns, (Glocks for example) are not equipped with safeties at all. One reason these are popular is in fact the notion that turning off the safety (as on a 1911 type gun) is one more step you have to remember to perform while under extreme pressure. They are quite safe to carry in a proper holster.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            My family owns a lot of rural property and we do hunt, I guess I was thinking that none of the nearby farms cared. It's not like we were shooting semi automatics.
                            My family is 90% bow hunting now though so even less shooting.
                            I think in rural areas, you're going to have a hard time finding people that care about hearing gunshots. It is probably hard to imagine for people that don't have the experience of living in an area like that, or for people that don't hunt, but it really is just a normal thing, especially during hunting season.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Along with other misconceptions already posted about various gun functions here, I'd guess the safety thing for this dude is related to the fact that modern handguns, (Glocks for example) are not equipped with safeties at all. One reason these are popular is in fact the notion that turning off the safety (as on a 1911 type gun) is one more step you have to remember to perform while under extreme pressure. They are quite safe to carry in a proper holster.
                              The 9mm handgun that I have doesn't have a safety. I wish it did. Turning on and off the safety whenever I shoot a gun is just second nature to me at this point, I don't even have to think about it, it is essentially muscle memory. Many gun people would admonish me for this, but since it doesn't have a safety, I don't keep a round chambered. I am not comfortable with having a gun around without a safety and a round chambered, even if it is always locked in my safe. If I ever do need to use it, god forbid, if someone breaks into my house, or something like that, I just know that the first thing I need to do is chamber a round.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I think in rural areas, you're going to have a hard time finding people that care about hearing gunshots. It is probably hard to imagine for people that don't have the experience of living in an area like that, or for people that don't hunt, but it really is just a normal thing, especially during hunting season.
                                I agree, I was thinking that for people who shoot on their property no one cares, hence why I said I didn't think hunters need silencers.

Comment

Working...
                                X